The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto Sleeper Nuevo / Eton Comparison

+4
Johno
Nuevo
roli
panders
8 posters

Go down

Auto Sleeper Nuevo / Eton Comparison Empty Auto Sleeper Nuevo / Eton Comparison

Post by panders Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:40 am

Hi everyone

We're currently looking at Nuevo's, have kind of got our heads around the Mark I and Mark II differences but have also gleaned that there are other models like the Eton which is a ford base? and that Mercedes have one too? Are there any views about Eton/Nuevo/Mercedes comparison?
The newest models are out of our price range so we were looking at 2005-2007 models really.

We looked at a 2006 yesterday with 18K on the clock and priced at £23999 it seemed like quite a good buy and only 35 miles from us, but we don't want to rush and there are apparently other viewings booked as its just come into stock.

I am also lead to believe that this time of the year is better for buying as most folk who are selling will do so in the winter....any truth to that?

Pamela
panders
panders

Female

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : not yet

Back to top Go down

Auto Sleeper Nuevo / Eton Comparison Empty Re: Auto Sleeper Nuevo / Eton Comparison

Post by roli Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:15 pm

The Transit (Eton) and the Devon (Merc) are IMO better base vehicles than the X250 which has had various problems since launch.
You will of course be able to pick up a newer Devon (still made) than the Eton which hasnt been made now for 2 or 3 years
The Transit is well known and a very comfortable motor to drive with any parts being cheaper in price to the pugeot parts. I would be loath to swop our Tranny.
The current Mercs with auto boxes are getting very good reports from owners in the owners club and there is an increasing number being sold - dont think you would be disappointed..
I have to say though the standard Nuevo and Lancashire has to be A-S best ever selling coachbuilt and the opinions above are mine.
If the pug based Nuevo will reverse up a hill without judder then it should be ok
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Auto Sleeper Nuevo / Eton Comparison Empty Re: Auto Sleeper Nuevo / Eton Comparison

Post by Guest Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:58 am

In addition to Roli's comments, you will find that there is certainly more motorhome stock around over the winter periods at most dealers. This is due to a numbers of factors. You will also find that there may be better discounts on new old stock 2012 vans as 2013 start to hit the forecourts, however these will probably be out of your price range from your earlier comments.

The best thing to do is to look around and get a feel for the prices / quality and what's available. You will be surprised at how good you can get at this. Go for test drives to see if you are comfortable driving each model type. Is it the right layout ? Is there a better layout? The most imprortant thing is not to rush into things, but also to try and enjoy the experience. It's a big purchase and you want to make sure that you have done your research.

Good luck.
John

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by panders Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks John and Roger, glad to hear that we may be spoiled for choice! There are not a huge number of large dealers in Sussex but we have a Marguis here so I'll keep a look out and as you suggest try some test drives. Already being pressured to make a deal by the dealer we visited on Saturday for the 2006 Nuevo but I suspect there is better out there!

We're thinking of going to the show in a couple of weeks time at NEC but not really sure if that will just depress us as to what we can't afford as I know they will be showcasing new models there!

Pamela
panders
panders

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuevo Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:18 pm

I wouldnt write off the nuevo its a great van & comfy to drive. the x250 gets its fair share of unwarranted slating on this forum and other forums but usually by those who most probly have never even driven one let alone owned one, so dont take too much notice. admit the water into the engine bay is documented on the forum & elsewhere but it aint the biggie some suggest. the reverse judder only effects some x250 veh's & my nuevo again doesnt have this problem. hope you get yerself fixed up with something soon.

Dave beer-drinking-smiley

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by panders Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks Dave, we certainly have not lost interest in the Nuevo at all....thanks for the reply!

Pamela
panders
panders

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:10 am

If you are referring to my comments, I have driven X250s including the Nuevo and other Pugs such as the Boxer having owned an Executive for 8 years.
My gripe is that Sevil sat back without doing anything at all when all the issues came to light on problems. In addition Pugeot UK dealer service cannot compare with other makes and spares are expensive.

This forum wasnt around in the early days of the X250, have a look round some of the others ie 3Ms O&O site
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:03 am

Hi Pamela

At present I have an Eton which I chose for the Ford chassis it is built on, I made this choice after bad experience of a motorhome based on a Fiat X250 chassis so_sad (not an Autosleeper I hasten to add). The vehicle had the dreaded reverse judder which to be fair was sorted out by the local Fiat dealer at a cost of over £2000 to Fiat as it was still under warranty, and this was at trade prices.
I personally found that the Fiat ride was harsh and hard more suited to a performance car than a motorhome and exacerbated the rattles and noise associated with driving a motorhome, and there is a limit to how much air one can let out of the tyres to help alleviate this problem. On the positive tack the van was great to drive when going forward (apart from the rattles) the engine being smooth with loads of torque, comfortable seats and positive steering. allthumbz
Choice of a motorhome will always involve a certain amount of compromise and at the end of the day you pays your money and you takes your choice (please excuse my use of cliches) but having owned several motorhomes on VW, Renault, Peugeot, Fiat and Ford I would always chooose Ford yes even over VW, no doubt other members of the forum will disagree which proves that choice of van is a really personal thing often dictated by heart rather than head. wave
To date I have been really pleased with the Eton with no issues but they seem to be pretty thin on the ground compared to the Nuevo.
Good luck with your purchase John. up!
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Auto Sleeper Nuevo / Eton Comparison Empty Re-Autosleeper Nuevo/Eton comparison

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi Pamela
I'm sure the majority of Nuevo owners would agree that the Nuevo is a cracking compact coachbuilt, with all the same fitments as its larger cousins.
I should think that most of the problems the Boxer X250 had would have been rectified by the previous owners, I find the front seats very comfortable in the Boxer X250 and with the CC switched on a delight to drive.
I have a 09 Nuevo ES, (130BHP) built in 2007 in Sevil and to date not suffered any clutch judder.
I didn't find the Nuevo a harsh ride, compared to my previous 59 reg Symbol, however I have had AL-KO air ride suspension units fitted recently and found this has increased the rear spring rigidity and has improved roll stability.
In my opinion the Ford transit is the better workhorse, as a fleet manager some years back, my LWB 2.5 ton vans clocked up very high mileages without a bit of trouble.
Theres plenty of motorhomes to choose from on the internet, Marquis will bring a van to their dealership for a refundable £250.
Hope you find what your looking for what ever the make. wave
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:28 am

Both the Eton and Nuevo are great vans, regards the comments about the Peugeot Boxer X250 ride quality we found when we drove ours at the dealers it was shocking to drive, why? because the tyre pressures were sky high and no body had made any effort to deal with the onboard rattles... (you will get this with any motorhome regardless of the base vehicle) most of the rattles were dealt with myself (simply) and the pressures lowered to an acceptable level, as Boaby we also had air rides fitted which has helped. I read recently that Auto-Sleepers specify an additional leaf spring on all Peugeot boxer base vehicles they order in, while this may help with the load it may also result in a slightly harder ride maybe? think they would be better fitting air rides as standard instead.

Comfort really is an individual preference, for example I found our previous VW T4 Trident (which is praised for it's ride quality and allegedly superior to drive) was comfortable but at the expense of wallowing around corners and roundabouts, personally I find the X250 Boxer far better around corners and roundabouts and it sticks to the road like glue, it's also very comfortable in the cab area to drive and the engine very responsive, if you hit a pot hole you feel it but not really any worse than any other commercial vehicle. I've had Ford Transits for my business over the years (still have a Transit albeit the smaller Connect variant) and there is no doubt they are super vehicles mechanically, but in my experience they are prone to rust much earlier than other vans.

With regards the reverse judder we also do not have this problem and besides I understand this is a simple software update to rectify this if you did have this issue anyway scratch head Understand this issue mostly affected the 3Ltr vehicles fitted with the 6 speed M40 gearbox? as for the water getting into the bonnet area I worried about this to the point where I actually ruined my scuttle trying to make it watertight, and have since refitted an entire new scuttle and expect I will now leave it well alone (except for two drainage pipes I've fitted) as others have commented on the forum before I think too much is made of the water issues and a this is a trap I fell into myself.

Either the Auto-Sleeper Eton or Nuevo will serve you very well, both excellent vehicles.... up!

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Auto Sleeper Nuevo / Eton Comparison Empty Re-Autosleeper Nuevo/Eton comparison

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi Pamela
Just to add to CC's comments on water ingress into the engine bay, there are a few manufactures of screen covers with extra length on them to cover the air intakes on the front bonnet.
I use Fiamma Ducato XL screen covers on trips away and Taylor-made insulated longer length covers at home, both covers keep the rain out of the engine bay when static.
Other makes of screen covers available on line.
Boaby

burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:34 pm

Whilst talking about the nuevo, don't forget the Marquis version the Lancashire, this is basically a nuevo with upgrades, I have the 2006 version which includes, alloy wheels, electric element for both hot water and heating a 2.3Lt 130bhp engine, mock walnut dash amongst other things.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by panders Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments! I have those on my radar too thanks Pete but they always seem a bit more pricey!

Now just to find the right van at the right price....wish me luck!

Pamela
panders
panders

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Actionmike Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi, we love our Nuevo 11 EK!. We've had no probs with reverse judder, and its the 3.0ltr, 6 speed. Great combination! We got ours from Three Counties Motorhomes in Poole ( MDG ) Great service, and staff very helpful.
Actionmike
Actionmike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : NUEVO EK 3.0
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down