The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Losing 25% from a full Fresh Water Tank

+5
CC
dandywarhol
Paulmold
squip
nforrgolf
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Losing 25% from a full Fresh Water Tank - Page 2 Empty Re: Losing 25% from a full Fresh Water Tank

Post by DuxDeluxe Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Went to Coniston with a full tank and arrived with a full tank. Sadly, the same can't be said of the fuel........
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Losing 25% from a full Fresh Water Tank - Page 2 Empty Re: Losing 25% from a full Fresh Water Tank

Post by squip Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:47 pm

Dux
Good a positive result then - for the water that is !!! If you could work out how to do that journey and arrive with the fuel tank full then you could end up rich. hugegrins

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:24 am

Actually I did arrive with an almost full tank of diesel, which was a bit of a result, until I checked my wallet and found that it had mysteriously emptied to a certain extent......... must be doing something wrong [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:16 pm

DuxDeluxe wrote: . . . . if I were to worry about cost effectiveness and saving a couple of quid, I would not have spent £50K on a van in the first place.....

Hi there,

I had exactly the same attitude so please take this as sound advice rather than criticism as I let you in on a couple of secrets known only to my Dad.

They are:

• "A pound saved is the same as four pounds earned." and

• "A fool and his money are soon parted."

As someone who jetted and sailed the world in his working life (and visited 24% of all the available countries in the process) I was too busy earning money to bother saving it so it was a complete shock when I discovered that my Dad might be right.

From my late 40's I applied his principles and retired on my 60th birthday after working for 45 years. Now at 68 I can assure everyone that "retirement" beats "work" by a mile; and that "couple of quid" you save now can go a long way if you invest it properly!

Hope we can meet up some time for a dram or three. I am the Duetto towing the Drascombe Dabber called "Karra".

Best regards,

Dutto
drinksallround
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:46 pm

Naturally, I am highly offended by your post....... not! Your dad is quite right. I do have a savings plan in place and have a couple of rules, one of which is "if I can't pay outright then I don't buy it". However, there are also no pockets in a shroud so always look to strike a balance between saving/spending. I intend retiring early but enjoy my work far too much at the moment.

I like drascombe luggers and dabbers but at my wife says, I don't sail for pleasure - only race - thus the Osprey. Off to Poole tomorrow for the open but not sailing due to recovering from a serious back injury (fracture). Just to keep this on track, I will still be going with a full water tank as I can save more money by driving at 56mph rather than an extra few kilos. If I was really sensible, I wouldn't go at all and save the diesel. Or in fact not buy a van to begin with. But I'm not sensible. Need a break from flying somewhere every week (Qatar/France last week, Houston/Dallas/Miami next week)

I'll gladly return the compliment of beer/whatever your choice of tipple if and when we meet

drinksallround tap_fingers drinksallround
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:49 am

DuxDeluxe wrote:(Qatar/France last week, Houston/Dallas/Miami next week)

Hi there,

Glad my comment was taken with good grace; and my oh my, how our lives seem to be running in parallel but with a gap of a few years!!

As I type I am looking at a photograph of the Transocean "Jupiter" which I audited in Qatar back in 2002. (It was the smallest rig I ever visited which is why I demanded a photograph before I left!)

My wife and I landed in Boston in November 2009 and hired a Chateau motorhome to wander down south, via Miami, to visit friends in Houston where we watched the Texans whup the Seahawks on the 20th December. (We gave Dallas a miss on the basis that we had seen it all on TV, including Larry Hagman and headed over to San Diego instead!)

With regard to France, well if you fancy purchasing a plot of land in France as an investment then go to the Drascome Association website and check out the Small Ads section.

On the sailing front, I like the Dabber on the basis that almost no-one bothers to race them - and I am too old anyway!

Looking forward to the dram, and keep up the good work - your taxes are paying for my retirement.

Dutto
drinksallround
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2