The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

As Mrs. Merton once said .....

+3
ade700
Paulmold
stevomar
7 posters

Go down

As Mrs. Merton once said ..... Empty As Mrs. Merton once said .....

Post by stevomar Fri May 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi All - Let's have a Heated Debate

Is it just me or has anyone else thought just lately that camping is no longer the cheap holday option.
My work means that I get 10 days off every 5 weeks and this means we usually get 6 holidays a year. We don't always take the van away and often go with Ryanair,Easyjet or Jet 2 and book the accomadation seperately. We've had some VERY cheap hols doing it this way.
When we started camping with a trailer tent the site fees were incidental. Nowadays 20-25 pounds per night is not uncommon.Add to that the initial cost of the kit (be it tent,caravan or motorome) and fuel then it all adds up.
I suppose it's down to choice and lifestyle at the end of the day. You can't beat that feeling when you've finished setting up and having a beer or wine outside looking out on the countryside can you ?
I'd love to hear all views
Stevo

Last edited by stevomar on Fri May 06, 2011 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

As Mrs. Merton once said ..... Empty Re: As Mrs. Merton once said .....

Post by Paulmold Fri May 06, 2011 3:32 pm

I think much the same as you Stevo. I know that if you take the cost of depreciation (thank God motorhomes don't depreciate at the same rate as a car) and initial outlay, site fees and fuel etc you could have several hotel holidays abroad on an all-inclusive basis. I don't particularly want to go abroad, there's so much of this country I still want to discover and the freedom that motorhoming gives is just great. Site fees are still not too bad if you can avoid school holidays but the cost of fuel is the thing thats making me stay closer to home except for our 2 week break in July (before the school hols) when we're off to Cornwall but the cost of fuel for that journey will be the biggest outlay of the fortnight and brings me out in sweat when I think about it.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by ade700 Fri May 06, 2011 3:50 pm

im having to chose when i use my camper for the first time ever because of fuel costs , it only does 15 to the gallon so even picking up my daughter from school cost the best part of a gallon of fuel each time quick_run

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper T25

Back to top Go down

Post by stevomar Fri May 06, 2011 3:57 pm

ade700 wrote:it only does 15 to the gallon so even picking up my daughter from school cost the best part of a gallon of fuel each time quick_run

OH MY GOD! And I usually wince every time I see one of those big American RVs going down the road
Stevo

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ade700 Fri May 06, 2011 4:06 pm

im off on our world tour of wales soon im dreading the fuel bill probably about £130 silly me

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri May 06, 2011 4:11 pm

Yep I agree, not so much the site fees (although finding a pitch with EHU for under £20 is becoming increasingly difficult now rolleyes ) it's the fuel costs, most places we travel to means a fill up both ways and at around £100 quid a tank + site fees its barely worth going away for just a weekend really.

But on a positive note there must be loads of people who would love to own a camper or motorhome but just cant afford the luxury of buying one in the first place, at least we have ours and we can go away whenever we feel like it within reason and funds permitting smile!

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by ade700 Fri May 06, 2011 4:20 pm

up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stevomar Fri May 06, 2011 6:54 pm

CruizingComet wrote:

But on a positive note there must be loads of people who would love to own a camper or motorhome but just cant afford the luxury of buying one in the first place, at least we have ours and we can go away whenever we feel like it within reason and funds permitting smile!

Love that positivity there CC allthumbz
Stevo

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Fri May 06, 2011 7:14 pm

Before we bought our camper we used to go away for 4 nights at a time staying in a B&B. But we have noticed now that these are getting much more expensive. 6 years ago we would pay £27 - £30 per night each but now the norm seems to be nearer £50. That doesn't make it any cheaper to go away in the van but it does put price rises into perspective.
We do not pay £20 per night because we can't afford it. We never stay on club sites at peak times, the prices are way too high for us. Last month in Cornwall and Devon we mostly stayed on c/ls and sometimes only paid £5 per night and once only £4. Both without EHU I would add but we can manage this for a night or two. Usual price with EHU was £10.
I think it helps with fuel costs if you are able to go away for a longer period at a time. So for us last month the fuel cost to go to Cornwall was put against a 4 week holiday whereas for a two week holiday to the same area would have seemed more expensive as the fuel would have been a higher proportion of the total cost.
Also for us pensioners, if we go away for a month then some time during that trip George Osborne is going to put some pension money into our bank account. allthumbz

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by ade700 Fri May 06, 2011 7:41 pm

squip wrote:Also for us pensioners, if we go away for a month then some time during that trip George Osborne is going to put some pension money into our bank account. allthumbz

squip
hugegrins up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 10:00 pm

ade700 wrote:im having to chose when i use my camper for the first time ever because of fuel costs , it only does 15 to the gallon so even picking up my daughter from school cost the best part of a gallon of fuel each time quick_run

...and as mine used to say, "you'r not going to pick us up with all those areials on are you? It's SO embarrasing. hairdryer
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by ade700 Fri May 06, 2011 10:21 pm

I had to pick her up last night from choir practice one of her friends parents was late so we waited with her I blasted so 80s tunes thru the sub-woofer and held an inpromtu disco with them all dancing on the car park lolflag

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ade700 Fri May 06, 2011 10:47 pm

As you can se she takes after her dad hugegrins [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kenjones Sat May 07, 2011 4:05 pm

When annual service, MOT, Road Tax, Insurance, depreciation, Fuel, site fees etc are considered this is definatly not a cheap holiday option.
Its only natural to grumble about the cost before setting off on the next trip.
You can't take your money with you so go out and enjoy it before the coalition find another way to take it off you.
kenjones
kenjones
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : T4 Topaz LE
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by plattypus Sat May 07, 2011 10:24 pm

kenjones wrote:When annual service, MOT, Road Tax, Insurance, depreciation, Fuel, site fees etc are considered this is definatly not a cheap holiday option.
Its only natural to grumble about the cost before setting off on the next trip.
You can't take your money with you so go out and enjoy it before the coalition find another way to take it off you.
i agree My sentiments entirely KJ One good thing about getting old we can book into cc sites with age concession rates, and out of season gets a bit cheaper too. But its definitely the price of diesel which buggers it all up. I've joined FAIR FUEL UK to try to petition reductions. got to do something scratch head
plattypus
plattypus
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 2006 Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Post by stevomar Tue May 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi
In July/Aug 2000 we took the trailer tent over to France with 4 kids without booking anywhere - After stopping at a site on the Gironde estuary for 5 nights we moved on and found a brilliant family site (Camping les Trois Vallees) right down in the Lot valley. It was brill for the kids (eldest 13/youngest 7 at the time ) There was a lake,slides, entertainment for adults and kids. I remember though that it cost £245 (£49 per night) for 5 nights but we didn't mind as it was ideal for the kids (and us). Every year since then they have sent us a leaflet
The other day I worked out that the same pitch now would be a staggering 85 euros (£70?) per night !!!!
Thank god for french municipal sites that's what I say smile!

Stevo

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum