The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi Top window stay snapped

3 posters

Go down

Hi Top window stay snapped Empty Hi Top window stay snapped

Post by John Crouch Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:18 am

have ordered a new telescopic window stay which recently broke in the vehicle
the part attached to the base of the window is easy enough to remove but i am concerned with the attachment to the window itself
has anyone replaced this type of window stay andif so can you offer any advice

Many Thanks

John Crouch smile!
John Crouch
John Crouch

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Trophy

Back to top Go down

Hi Top window stay snapped Empty Re: Hi Top window stay snapped

Post by Dutto Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:17 am

John Crouch wrote:have ordered a new telescopic window stay which recently broke in the vehicle
the part attached to the base of the window is easy enough to remove but i am concerned with the attachment to the window itself
has anyone replaced this type of window stay andif so can you offer any advice

Many Thanks

John Crouch smile!

John,

Sorry but I haven't done that particular job; but I have done a few "fixes" with aged plastics and I can tell you that if the van is more that five years old the plastics will probably be very brittle!

In view of this, I suggest that you ensure any plastic or perspex bits that you have to work with are very well supported in all three directions before you attempt to remove or replace anything.

It the worse does happen and something cracks then I find Araldite an excellent repair medium for most rigid plastics! wave wave

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Hi Top window stay snapped Empty Re: Hi Top window stay snapped

Post by rogerblack Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:46 am

Hi

Not sure if it's too late, you may have already done the job but if not:

The end that's on the window is presumably also the end with the swivel stay catch. This is held by a two-part plastic mounting, one part on the outside of the window and one on the inside. These are held together by two cross-head screws which can easily be unscrewed and then the inner part removed. There should be a foam gasket on one or both sides. You can then attach the new part in the same position and re-screw carefully. The outer part and inne rpart mate with bosses so there should be no danger of damaging the window itself, with reasonable care.

I have done this on a couple of side windows and also on the overcab roof window, easy job in all cases.
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down