The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daylight Running Lights

4 posters

Go down

Daylight Running Lights Empty Daylight Running Lights

Post by bms10 Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:04 am

Hi
I have now submitted my article to Roli and he has approved it and posted it in the look here Fact Sheet Section.
I mounted my LED's on a black background - my preference - but you could spray/match the mounting plates to any colour prior to assembly.
ATB
Brian

bms10
bms10
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper : Inca 2.8 hdi

Back to top Go down

Daylight Running Lights Empty Re: Daylight Running Lights

Post by CC Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi Brian.... May I ask where did you obtain your DRL kit and cost please?
& how many LED's does each unit contain and what is the power output for each LED?

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:10 pm

Just one minor simplification to the circuit in the Factsheet:

The relay only really needs to have a single Normally Closed pole, which may save a small amount of money. If the resistor is wired between NC pole and LEDs, the other set of contacts are no longer needed.

However, having two NC poles may make the wiring slightly easier for some, as then you have an individual tag to wire each component to, without a need for an in-line connection between the resistor and the positive wire going to the LEDs.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Daylight Running Lights Empty Day light Running Lights

Post by bms10 Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:03 am

Hi Cruizing Comet and Mojo
Firstly, thanks very much for showing an interest in my project, it makes the task of writing and submitting the article worthwhile.
To give you an idea of relative costs, there was a commercial unit at the Northern Show which achieved similar results to mine and it cost over £40. They used quite a sophisticated electronic relay/sensor which you can buy on Amazon for about £20 including postage.
My unit was already built, installed and working for a fraction of the cost when we arrived at the show, hence, Roli asking me to submit it to the Forum.
I pitched the article towards someone like myself who likes to dabble in gadgets and be a little different from the crowd.
My unit is not a kit, as you will see on page 1 there is a list of items you'll require to carry out the project.
Most of the items I already had in my Bits Box - I only had to purchase the LED's, their spec and source are listed on this list.
As for the relay, Mojo, I purposely used the double pole one for 2 reasons;
a.I already had it and the base. b. it makes the wiring/substitution of the Resistor a simple screw terminal connection.
Some LED's are very bright and often dazzling, by fitting the resistor you can adjust the brilliance as required, I have checked the visibility in bright light and they can be easily seen, and in gloomy conditions they are very visible - the choice is personal
you could leave out the resistor altogether if you wished, but I wouldn't as it also acts as a surge protector for the LED's.
Hope this helps scratch head
ATB
Brian
bms10
bms10
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper : Inca 2.8 hdi

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:20 am

I must admit being impressed with the set up on Brians van as he was approaching the rally area, although relatively small and low down they stood out from quite a distance down the road but didnt glare.

I may well do this conversion as the Transit has similar positions on the bumper and being a former Volvo owner am a fan of DRLs
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down