The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garmin Drivesmart 76

5 posters

Go down

Garmin Drivesmart 76 Empty Garmin Drivesmart 76

Post by Dave 418 Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:03 pm

Management has bought me the above Garmin to replace my Nuvi 57. In most respects it looks mostly the same but more up to date and a bigger screen. It says it has Live Traffic. I assume this means it updates traffic problems en route. 
Trying to read through the on line instruction manual it mentions a sim card and there is a slot in the back for it. Am I right in thinking it needs a sim card for the live traffic. If so none technical instructions may be required please. scratch head
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Kdc likes this post

Back to top Go down

Garmin Drivesmart 76 Empty Re: Garmin Drivesmart 76

Post by Kdc Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:55 pm

I have a garmin but different model, It does give live traffic updates and also adds time to journey if delays encountered. For interest the power lead from 12v skt is the aerial for this function. Mine also has slot in back but for memory card, this is to increase available memory for route planning and   Updates etc.Probably enough on as fitted memory without large numbers of planned routes stored but I put a memory card in and just forgot about it and have not had issue in last 3 years of use and all updates been added as and when available.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:01 pm

Same as Kdc …

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:29 pm

The Live Traffic works via an app on a smart phone (connected via Bluetooth), that how it works on my Garmin Camper. 
The slot on the back is for a micro SD card to expand the memory available on the device, although I’ve added one I don’t think it has been used as yet as KDC says, maybe useful if it has a built in dash cam or have a connected rear camera.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:48 pm

Thanks Kdc that’s why the forum shines out for me. allthumbz I was going through my spare leads from my older Garmin and noticed they were different plugs and a bit thinner. The way the old power cable was routed it was hidden under the edge of the dash but I think the new one would benefit from being routed along the top of the dash if it’s the aerial.
I get the idea of the SIM card for extra storage and I might look into it.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:03 pm

Whilst I was replying to Kdc I didn’t see the reply from Mike and am now totally confused:scratch head:.
I am one of the rare none tech people that dosnt have a smart phone. I have a Hauwei thing for WIFI on our trips for my i pad so does that mean I can’t use the Live Traffic. Has it got to the point were any one that’s not tech savvy is being left behind unless you have an I phone. confused3
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:00 am

It does not not need to be connected to a smart phone for live  traffic updates although the charging lead that came with it has to be used , it will only update on live traffic if you have a route planned and will sometimes offer a detour, I have my lead under the dash mainly as I have hard wired it to the fuse box.

The app for the smart phone or iPad is useful for finding campsites ,attractions using search for sites to send the details straight to the sat nav, it’s called Garmin smart link

Last edited by FreelanderUK on Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:06 am

Thanks for all youre input folks. I am getting the gist of this now. I think my next move will be to try and see what happens on route. My technical skills are better proven with a spanner and a hammer.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:11 am

Looking at Garmin website if your device model number ends “MT-D” it collects traffic data via the power cable and FM wireless band. Otherwise it is via the app by looks of it, they seem to be moving to the app because of restrictions of the amount of data they can transmit over the FM radio.

But if like me you have the WiFi on while travelling the app will work on your iPad. Caveat being that it requires the iPad to be running iOS 14 or later. Not sure about android devices.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:46 am

I have been out to the motorhome and had a play to see if I need to alter the mounting and power socket. Whist I was in there as the web site said it needed linking to a satalite to correct its position and adjust the clock.
The bigger screen and faster search times are a vast improvement. It fits on the same mounting and the lead is plenty long enough.
 It found the  local nature reserve we visit without having to put the road name in or nearest  town. 
The idea of having the i pad on whist we are on the move will need the Huawei on as well all needing powering up . As you sugested Mike I will check the model number.
 I have seen an A Class with lots of devices on the top of the dash and thought it looked very messy. There were a  lot wires trailing about to keep them powered up. They must have had more solar and battery power than I have.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:55 pm

We had a trip out today using the Garmin. The combination of the larger screen and more up to date features made a vast difference. I found a couple of things were not activated and the traffic update didn’t prove itself so far. allthumbz
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down