The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

do winchcombe's have rear shock absorbers -?

4 posters

Go down

do winchcombe's  have rear shock absorbers -? Empty do winchcombe's have rear shock absorbers -?

Post by road warrior Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:10 pm

do winchcombe's  have rear shock absorbers -? a quick look and only found anti roll bars ? confused3
road warrior
road warrior

Male

Auto-Sleeper : WINCHCOMBE
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

do winchcombe's  have rear shock absorbers -? Empty Re: do winchcombe's have rear shock absorbers -?

Post by OOF Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:44 pm

Yes, the Winchcombe is based on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis cab and is certainly fitted with shock absorbers on the rear suspension.
OOF
OOF

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

do winchcombe's  have rear shock absorbers -? Empty Re: do winchcombe's have rear shock absorbers -?

Post by road warrior Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:28 pm

ok thanks - its seems reasonable to expect but i had a look the other day and was damned if i could find them .. i will look harder
at the risk of sounding stupid - have you physically seen them or are you just assuming like me that they must be there - if so WHERE exactly ? shrugg

Last edited by road warrior on Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
road warrior
road warrior

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:32 pm

Alko chassis have torsion bars, Merc chassis have shocks.  Is it possible that is has an alko chassis?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by road warrior Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:43 pm

well its a merc van but i can see anti roll bars on the back wheels for sure
road warrior
road warrior

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by OOF Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:54 pm

I’ll see if I can post a photo tomorrow.
OOF
OOF

Male

road warrior likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:15 am

Rear shock absorbers on my 2011 Sprinter. 2016 should be similar. Ignore the airbag assistors.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

road warrior likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OOF Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:20 am

So Road Warrior. You can see the near side lower shock mount hanging down in front of the anti roll bar mounting in Ploughlin’s photo. Yours will be the same.
OOF
OOF

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by road warrior Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:23 am

Thank you , I will do the shocks first, but I can't help but feel I will be fitting air bags as well and upping the payload. Am i right in thinking the new winchcombe is something like 4100 now ?
I will be out there today looking harder, because of my sloping drive the one rear corner I have on a ramp and it was that one I looked at and so couldn't see it where I expected to find it.  allthumbz
road warrior
road warrior

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by OOF Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:43 am

Mine is a 2017 model ‘technical up-plating’ to 3880kgs GVM & 5880kgs GTM by SV Tech.
You can’t increase the plated weights of the vehicle or payload just by adding air bags or changing shocks. In my opinion the Winchcombe already has a very generous payload. People add air bags for an ‘improved’ ride quality or help with body roll. Thicker, stiffer anti roll bars are a available to help reduce body roll. It would assist if you mention what you are looking to achieve. However the first reply answered your initial question.
OOF
OOF

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by road warrior Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:42 pm

ok, shocks found , that all good, thats first job, yes i have already upwighted my previous autotrail 634 which has aweful payload, as i say after the shocks i will probably have air bags fitted using dunlop bags and SV Tech, my thinking being that if i do have bags fitted on the rear for stability i may as well get SV tech to uprate it to finish the job.
road warrior
road warrior

Male

OOF likes this post

Back to top Go down