The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hosepipe bans and motorhomes

4 posters

Go down

Hosepipe bans and motorhomes Empty Hosepipe bans and motorhomes

Post by Crashman Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:49 am

I use a hosepipe to fill the freshwater tank through a Whale system. It is the only way to get water into the tank.

In certain areas hosepipes are 'banned' and it seems likely such prohibitions on use will be extended. Water supply companies have powers to do so under s.36 of the Flood and Water Management Act 2010. Sub-section 2 (f) prohibits: "drawing water, using a hosepipe, for domestic recreational use" which appears to cover the filling of motorhome fresh water tanks.

The Act provides for certain exemptions and allows water companies to create their own exemptions if they wish. It should be noted that hosepipes are banned only for the purposes stated in the act, including for use in connection with the cleaning of private motor vehicles.

Southern Water, on their website, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
list statutory and discretionary exemptions from their bans on hosepipes. There are no exemptions for domestic recreational use. Note that a private motor vehicle does not include a goods vehicle, as defined in section 192 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 . S.192 defines a goods vehicle as one designed or adapted to carry goods or burden of any description, in other words, includes a motorhome.

So, if I understand the situation correctly, using a hosepipe at home to fill a freshwater tank is prohibited but washing a motorhome is not. To further complicate matters, I believe that if water is supplied through a hosepipe as part of a commercial operation i.e. on a campsite, the ban will not apply.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Crashman on Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Crashman
Crashman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Hosepipe bans and motorhomes Empty Re: Hosepipe bans and motorhomes

Post by IanH Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:15 am

Fill it anyway, prob less than 100ltr, 3 or 4  loo flushes
Now if you were to get the sprinkler out and water the lawn twice a day, I'd report you!!!
Or bring it here, no hosepipe ban.....yet!! up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : AS Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Crashman Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:29 am

IanH wrote:Fill it anyway, prob less than 100ltr, 3 or 4  loo flushes
Now if you were to get the sprinkler out and water the lawn twice a day, I'd report you!!!
Or bring it here, no hosepipe ban.....yet!! up!

The ban is on the use of hosepipes regardless of the quantity of water used.£1,000 fine for offenders caught using one unless an exemption applies.

Be careful on the reporting for lawn watering. There are exemptions for newly-laid lawns, Blue Badge Holders etc.
Crashman
Crashman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:16 pm

I've had problems filling my water tank at home because I can't get a hose through to the front of the house. Finally found a cheap long-spout watering can in Home Bargains and filled the tank using that. Then a back wheel fell off my van while driving, the tank pipe ruptured and I watched my hard-earned tank of water dribbling down the road while waiting for recovery (along with the brake fluid).

Not sure whether there are any lessons there confused3.
Richard75
Richard75

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:49 pm

Crashman wrote:
The ban is on the use of hosepipes regardless of the quantity of water used.

Maybe so, but the hosepipe ban does not ban every use of a hosepipe. The following FAQ (from SEW) gives examples of what is not allowed:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Essentially it is about watering, cleaning and recreational use. I don't think that you could define drinking, cooking and personal hygiene as "recreational" so their examples do not seem to ban the filling of water tanks on motorhomes, boats or anything similar. You could always ask them if you are still in doubt.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

mikethebike, PLOUGHLIN, Mike187 and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down