The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reinforced area for bike rack mounting

+2
Cymro
Andacami
6 posters

Go down

Reinforced area for bike rack mounting Empty Reinforced area for bike rack mounting

Post by Andacami Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:02 pm

Hi,

Have searched and found only advice suggesting AS might NOT share details on where the reinforcing timbers are on the back of a 2016/17 Corinium Duo; so, I was wondering if anyone on here had this information, please?

The manual says:

"In order that a cycle rack, and/or a rear ladder, can be fitted, the rear panel bodywork is reinforced in certain areas. Vertical and horizontal timbers have been bonded into the panel to take the fixings for these items. If required a drawing showing the positions of these timbers may be obtained from our Service Department"

Needless to say, my online form contacts have been unanswered and the phone rings until a message says we are busy at Willersey. (ETA: Just this minute had a reply from AS suggesting:"We would not advise doing this as there are only a few areas of wooden strengthening blocks behind the exterior GRP panel.")

Hoping, therefore, folks on here might have a copy...

I already have a Fiamma Carry Pro but it's mounted too high in that the rearview camera is obscured when a cover is on the bikes. I have seen the Pro and the C mounted low i.e. the bottom bar where the Corinuim Duo decal is; so I assume it is possible but before I go putting holes into the Moho, I want to check.

Yes, I am aware that I could use a tow-bar carrier, and indeed I have one so if I can make it work by twisting the handlebars so they don't contact the bodywork then it's an option B. I also know that if I find myself with a load of money to spare I could get a local dealer or AS themselves to do it for me as option C. Option C is highly unlikely BTW.

Grateful if anyone has this info if they'd share - thank you.

Andy
Andacami
Andacami

Other / Decline to state

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Reinforced area for bike rack mounting Empty Re: Reinforced area for bike rack mounting

Post by Cymro Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:43 pm

Given the potential for damage to your van, and damage to a third party if the bike rack became detached whilst driving, I would not attempt a DIY installation but would wish for the comfort of having the installation carried out professionally, preferably by an AS dealer.

If electing for a lower position (if possible) you may wish to check whether the rear lights would be obscured such that you'd need a lighting board and associated wiring.

I have a Fiamma lifting rack; it partially obscures the rear window (but I do not use a cover for the bikes) but is clear of the lights and the rear-view camera.

Maybe the simple solution is not to cover the bikes?

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Reinforced area for bike rack mounting Empty Re: Reinforced area for bike rack mounting

Post by Glenny54 Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:26 pm

We had a fiamma bike rack fitted to our Corinium,it is not centrally fitted because of a mirror on the inside being in the way,,,,,,,let's hope there's  loads of strength where it is fitted,it was the dealer who fitted it but haven't used it yet so we'll see.
Glenny54
Glenny54

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium fb

Back to top Go down

Post by Andacami Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:24 am

Thanks and entirely agree with the risk you state and it should be noted by others that come across this thread. AS have now come back and said they have forwarded my request to see the reinforcement positions/plan to the tech department - so let's wait and see...

As for position, I believe it will not obscure the lights if moved lower down; here is mine with the current set-up:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I also note that few 2017/18 Duos have the lower/shorter racks in various vertical positions:

So I assume the reinforcements run top to bottom along the vertical plane (but not sure about horizontal - if there is any at all [or any need])

Andy
Andacami
Andacami

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by Andacami Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:30 pm

Glenny54 wrote:We had a fiamma bike rack fitted to our Corinium,it is not centrally fitted because of a mirror on the inside being in the way,,,,,,,let's hope there's  loads of strength where it is fitted,it was the dealer who fitted it but haven't used it yet so we'll see.

Mine seems to be fitted centrally.

The rearview camera unit is centered around the downward-facing camera so it looks centrally at the tow bar which is why it is not centered in of itself.

The mounting was quite some way from the mirror, maybe you have a FB? (ETA, sorry I see you do have an FB which makes sense now up! )

Andy
Andacami
Andacami

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:02 am

Good luck in waiting for a reply from AS tech team

If you have a tow ball on the van you might be better using a tow ball mounted rack. They are very good indeed Thule make very good ones
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:47 am

Not wishing to appear negative, but the first thing I did when we got the Exec back home was to remove the cycle rack and sell it.

Several reasons

1 It adds considerable weight as far back as possible from the rear axle, rack 20Kg, each bike 15Kg (min) so 50Kg as far back as poss
2 Unless the rack is very low, getting the bikes onto it was very difficult, even with 2 of us, if low enough, then the rear lights will be obscured, so a lighting board is required.
3 The lighting board has to be plugged in, usually to the socket beside a towbar!
4 The length of the vehicle is increased by circa 1m. This would take mine over 6m to 7m, the next length cut off point for ferries. Also now the expensive bikes will crash into even more expensive rear of MH if you reverse to near to a wall, for example.
5 If going anywhere where cycling is even possible (Holland for example, or perhaps bits of Lincolnshire) in other words dead level, then the bikes will stay on the rack!!!!
6 Anywhere cycling is possible, hiring locally is a far better option IMHO up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

bikeralw and jwells like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:06 am

I agree with Ian.  I took mine off the Nuevo to keep under 5.5 metre for the IOW ferry. Also the overhang on the Corinium is bad enough on its own without the extra load of bikes , fulcrum effect comes to mind.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

jwells and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:23 am

All interesting but the OP wants to fit a bike rack to take his bikes with him. I see many motor homes with bike racks so many people do it
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:26 am

Bigplumbs wrote:All interesting but the OP wants to fit a bike rack to take his bikes with him. I see many motor homes with bike racks so many people do it
Just making sure the OP has thought it through.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:17 am

I agree, the OP may want to, but wanting and practicality/possibility can be very different.

If it really has to be done, I'd first do the following:-

1 Fill fresh water tank, fill diesel, as a minimum
2 take it to the local weighbridge and get 3 weights, Total, front axle and rear axle.

The total when subtracted from the GVW will give the available payload. Remember you still have to add bedding food, wife, handbag, clothes shoes etc.

The vehicle manual should quote max weights for each axle, you now know the actual, not guessed, weight on the rear axle. Add 100Kg to that to allow for overhang and you'll at least be a bit closer, and NO guessing involved.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:20 am

IanH wrote:I agree, the OP may want to, but wanting and practicality/possibility can be very different.

If it really has to be done, I'd first do the following:-

1 Fill fresh water tank, fill diesel, as a minimum
2 take it to the local weighbridge and get 3 weights, Total, front axle and rear axle.

The total when subtracted from the GVW will give the available payload. Remember you still have to add bedding food, wife, handbag, clothes shoes etc.

The vehicle manual should quote max weights for each axle, you now know the actual, not guessed, weight on the rear axle. Add 100Kg to that to allow for overhang and you'll at least be a bit closer, and NO guessing involved.

Or you could just fit or have the bike rack fitted and be happy like many people do  up!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Andacami Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:24 am

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice and thoughts. allthumbz

• The Motorhome (I am the second owner) came with the rack fitted, I have used the rack extensively, my issue is, it is too high.
  • I have seen many other Motorhomes including the Duo with a number of different racks attached at varying positions so I know it is possible and permissible(one would hope...) practical is a choice, to lower mine or fit a new one lower down. Rough calculations coupled with images of other installations tell me the lights are not obscured.
  • Yes, the duo is already a big old thing with a large overhang. I don't have a problem with that and it has not caused me any issues. I can see that I need to be careful if I were to go on a ferry or a less than gentle slope, but I'm aware and will adjust accordingly.
  • Yes, adding the bikes adds weight and length, I am also aware and adjust accordingly, however, grateful for the suggestion that it might put us into a different price bracket for the ferry but the duo is already 7.72m...?
  • We have invested a lot of money on our bikes and we use them; we are fortunate (currently) in that we don't need it all to be flat. I don't like the idea of a Toad, so bikes it is.
  • I have been to the weighbridge; about 60Kg under its 4000kg limit when fully loaded for a week inc bikes, beer, wine, water, fuel, and a large box of very heavy vinyl records that I passed on en route.
  • I do, as noted in my initial post, have a towbar. It's my Plan B as I also have the Thule towbar rack which as noted is a great bit of kit. However, unless one turns the bike handlebars, it does not fit which is not a problem and hence Plan B. Also, when towing my kit car* to a track weekend, I can t use the Thule.
  • I have thought it through and as such seeking further thoughts for which I'm grateful - thank you
  • I would not put money on a speedy response from AS either hugegrins

*I'm fine with this too, just in case...

Andy
Andacami
Andacami

Other / Decline to state

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:56 am

Not sure if you're aware but there is a Fiamma Carrybike Lift Carrier which is a bike rack that is lowered to load the bikes, then raised up for transporting.  Not sure though if that would solve your problem.

Our bike rack has been used extensively over the years, sometimes for bikes, more often for a backbox loaded with miscellaneous stuff on our longer trips and latterly to carry our inflatable boat & kit. I now struggle with lifting the bikes or heavier boating items on to the rack, which is around chest height, so had looked at the Lift Carrier, however I couldn't determine for sure whether it would fit on the existing Fiamma mounting brackets; also it is very expensive.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:13 pm

rogerblack wrote:Not sure if you're aware but there is a Fiamma Carrybike Lift Carrier which is a bike rack that is lowered to load the bikes, then raised up for transporting.  Not sure though if that would solve your problem.

Our bike rack has been used extensively over the years, sometimes for bikes, more often for a backbox loaded with miscellaneous stuff on our longer trips and latterly to carry our inflatable boat & kit. I now struggle with lifting the bikes or heavier boating items on to the rack, which is around chest height, so had looked at the Lift Carrier, however I couldn't determine for sure whether it would fit on the existing Fiamma mounting brackets; also it is very expensive.

Have you got a tow bar as there is a very good tow bar mounted back Rack that is ideal for inflatable boats. I did a little review here. I think this one can take up to 70KG but obviously take note of the cantilever situation 

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:42 pm

Hi Bigplumbs - no, I don't have a tow bar on the motorhome.

However our latest car (VW Tiguan) came with an electric swivel towbar and I bought a similar cargo rack for that, mainly for taking garden waste to the tip (We used to load it in our old Vectra estate and ended up with spiders, snails and all sorts escaping into the car so wanted to avoid that on the new one!) but I also got the two-bike kit for it. Will possibly also use it for the boat as the car probably won't carry as much load inside as the estate did, but we've not had the boat out yet since changing cars. 

Last edited by rogerblack on Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Back to top Go down

Post by Andacami Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:23 pm

rogerblack wrote:Not sure if you're aware but there is a Fiamma Carrybike Lift Carrier which is a bike rack that is lowered to load the bikes, then raised up for transporting.  Not sure though if that would solve your problem.

Thanks, it won't solve the problem as the issue is the rearview cameras are obscured when the bikes are covered, and I do want to cover them.

Andy
Andacami
Andacami

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:48 pm

Surprised that a Fiamma Lifting carrier like ours will interfere with your camera. Ours doesn't.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andacami Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:10 pm

Cymro wrote:Surprised that a Fiamma Lifting carrier like ours will interfere with your camera. Ours doesn't.
??

I don't have a lifting carrier. It's a retrofit camera I think so perhaps not in the place it normally is. if it was I would probably get away with it but then I'd not have a down-pointing view of the towbar. If that makes sense... have a look at the images in my original posts for clarity.

Plan D of course is to fit a new camera system up high but then again I'm back in plan C territory there, as in, not having any money to do so  happyno

Andy
Andacami
Andacami

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:37 pm

Ah Ha!  Have just enlarged your original photo. I now see that he camera is indeed not in the usual place (which is the blanked off black square, just below the "SL" of "SLEEPER"). I now understand why the covered bikes obscure the picture. 

I'm sorry but I can't suggest a solution. A lifting rack won't help without modifying the camera; I don't know where the reinforcing battens are for a lower mount.  The camera could be refitted to its original position which (as in mine with a lifting rack) will provide a rear view even with covered bikes, but not immediately down to ground. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Andacami likes this post

Back to top Go down