The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disappointed with STJ Motorhomes of Reading

+4
burlingtonboaby
Tinwheeler
Paulmold
edmason
8 posters

Go down

Disappointed with STJ Motorhomes of Reading  Empty Disappointed with STJ Motorhomes of Reading

Post by edmason Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:48 pm

Collected my 2007 Autosleeper Duetto from STJ Motorhomes of Reading just before Xmas, after it had supposedly had a service, habitation check, and pre-delivery inspection. I had problems on the way home with a Cobra Alarm they'd not told me was fitted constantly going off. STJ said they'd not been aware of it, but the presence of Cobra fobs on both key sets should have alerted them. I had to get auto electrician to disconnect system. Only one of the 2 Ford keys supplied worked. They said they never check the spare key. (I'm having to by a new one: £140). I got home to find that the Propane had been left on, and that the WC flush didn't work. Turns out that the pump had siezed and blown the fuse. I've had to have a new fuel pump relay (£250), & have been told I need a new battery and starter motor, so significant expense before I'm even able to use the new van.
Most, if not all of these things should have been apparent during pre-sale checks. I'm particularly surprised that experienced motorhome dealers say they didn't suspect the presence of an aftermarket alarm, even though there were distinctive Cobra fobs on both sets of keys, and that they tell me they never test the spare keys, so they gave me only one useable key. These re-chargeable Ford keys are expensive to replace. Leaving the gas on for the customer to drive away is unforgiveable: imagine if I'd been in a collision!
STJ are one of the biggest dealers in second hand campers and motorhomes in the country, but despite the friendly and helpful service I'm very disappointed. I have e-mailed them with these concerns, but had no response. Buyers beware.
edmason
edmason

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Disappointed with STJ Motorhomes of Reading  Empty Re: Disappointed with STJ Motorhomes of Reading

Post by Paulmold Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:09 pm

I've never heard of them.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Disappointed with STJ Motorhomes of Reading  Empty Re: Disappointed with STJ Motorhomes of Reading

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:30 pm

Nor me. I wonder if they’ve had a name change from something else.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:28 am

Who.   shrugg
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:59 am

Like the others, never heard of them.  I think I would be back onto them with complaints looking for some cashback.
This is one of the problems buying from the other end of the country
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by ScribesWtr Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:22 am

Sadly, this is not an isolated incident.  I have heard from several people about poor PDIs from so called ‘top dealers’ and have experienced similar poor service when purchasing a brand new AS.
ScribesWtr
ScribesWtr

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Barleycorn Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:06 am

Small consolation, but I bought a Duetto from Marquis, and it never had a gas cylinder. They said it was their policy not to supply them.
Barleycorn
Barleycorn

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete F Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:30 am

Have you sent them the bills for everything so far? If so what was their reply?
Pete F
Pete F

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down