The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quandary

+7
Cymro
rgermain
Tinwheeler
rogerblack
Lorfal
Paulmold
nuevoboy
11 posters

Go down

Quandary Empty Quandary

Post by nuevoboy Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:00 pm

After waiting for over two years, my other half, nuevogirl, has finally been offered a date for a medical procedure, but it's at a private hospital over 100 miles away. We half expected it to be an early morning appointment and thought to use our car to get there in good time.

She's now been notified that the procedure will commence at 16:30 and talking to friends who have experienced similar, they say not to expect her to be released from the hospital for four to five hours.

Given that I will not be allowed to enter the hospital to even use their cafe, I am now seriously thinking of using the motorhome as transport.
At least I'll be able to relax comfortably while waiting for her. However, I've drained the water system down and would just like to confirm that it would be OK to use the Truma heater using the gas to warm the 'van, without water in the boiler.

I'm 90% certain that that would be OK, but........
Oh!, typing this, I've just realised that if I want to use full facilities, I'll need to refill the system in order to be able to flush the loo.
So, it looks like it would be better for me to get the system refilled ASAP.  scratch head
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Quandary Empty Re: Quandary

Post by Paulmold Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:08 pm

Heating can be used without water just make sure you use correct selection on panel or switch. Toilet can be flushed by taking a couple of milk bottles filled with water or a small Jerry can. You could use water from Jerry can to fill a kettle for use on cooker or take a flask or two.
Plenty of options.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Alf, HJA, digitalimager and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:28 pm

It’s a great idea. I’ve had a hosp procedures few years back at our hosp over 2 hours away. We went in our van as I needed to be close to hosp afterwards or stay in overnight for a procedure that doesn’t normally require this. We stayed at a local site and taxied it in and out.

It’s a long day and you are right, it’s much more comfortable in your van! Good luck
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:33 pm

Great idea to take the motorhome as you will then have your own space - I assume you've checked for suitable parking with no height barriers?

However, I'm not sure why you say you won't be allowed in the  hospital cafe - I have been taking Mrs B to three different hospitals (large and small) over the last few weeks to visit her parents and had no problems accessing their cafes etc. 

PS Just noticed where you're located - I was in England, are the rules different in Wales? (Assuming that's where the hospital you're going to is located).

Last edited by rogerblack on Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:38 am

Thanks for the positive feedback.
The hospital concerned isn't allowing visitors in except in an emergency.
Even if I was allowed inside to use the cafe and assuming it would even be open into the evening, I wouldn't feel comfortable hanging around for a few hours there.

We always take a large 5 litre bottle of fresh water to use for making drinks, so no problem anyway in that regard. I was more concerned with keeping warm in the 'van for up to five hours, but realised I could use the gas heating.

I just think it will be a lot less hassle to get the system filled to cover every eventuality.

One of our original thoughts was to use a local site to stay on prior to her appointment and then get a taxi to the hospital. Of course, nuevogirl now has to take a PCR test three days before her appointment and then isolate. So, that is why we're travelling up and back in a day. 
The hospital website says they have a private car park with plenty of space for visitors. Whether that includes 6.8 metre motorhomes, we'll have to see.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:52 am

I'd ring the hospital and check the parking situation. Have they got height barriers, for instance, or officious parking attendants, and is the car park on a steep slope?

I once saw a MH in a nearby hospital car park where a couple of bays had been coned off for it.

All in all, it's a great idea and we have done similar for a few hours. With heating, cooker, toilet and telly, it's all you could want.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Alf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:26 am

I don't find it a problem to refill with water every time we go out, at least once a week, but then I have fitted a Shurflo pump and can drain the system down in the drive. Others may not be so lucky.

I hope the Hospital trip goes ok and the procedure goes ahead as planned.
---------
Richard

Last edited by rgermain on Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : text missing)
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:46 pm

I used our Nuevo when my wife was called for her first jab. I was snug and had a peaceful read. Truma works well on gas without any water in the system. I took some coffee in a flask; I also have a plastic jerrycan of water if needed (e.g. to flush the loo).

Definitely better than in a car. 

Hope all goes well.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by mcalid Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:59 pm

nuevoboy wrote:After waiting for over two years, my other half, nuevogirl, has finally been offered a date for a medical procedure, but it's at a private hospital over 100 miles away. We half expected it to be an early morning appointment and thought to use our car to get there in good time.

She's now been notified that the procedure will commence at 16:30 and talking to friends who have experienced similar, they say not to expect her to be released from the hospital for four to five hours.

Given that I will not be allowed to enter the hospital to even use their cafe, I am now seriously thinking of using the motorhome as transport.
At least I'll be able to relax comfortably while waiting for her. However, I've drained the water system down and would just like to confirm that it would be OK to use the Truma heater using the gas to warm the 'van, without water in the boiler.

I'm 90% certain that that would be OK, but........
Oh!, typing this, I've just realised that if I want to use full facilities, I'll need to refill the system in order to be able to flush the loo.
So, it looks like it would be better for me to get the system refilled ASAP.  scratch head
I had the same problem last year and it was a Godsend that we had that Nuevo for me to wait in the carpark in complete comfort whilst the other half was seen to.
We had no water in the system but the heater was switched off.
No problems.
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:23 pm

We used our van in freezing temps in winter without putting water in it-heating works fine and use a spray bottle or plastic bottle of water to flush.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevbod Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:12 pm

My Nuevo ES is 4 yrs old and has a Truma heater. Am traveling through France and Spain right now and have drained down as it has been so cold. Heater has worked fine, as it has done on previous trips. 
If you drain the loo flush, which shouldn't freeze normally when living in and heating the van, a scented anti bacterial spray bottle does a good job. Kevin 😎
Kevbod
Kevbod

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:22 am

Just an update folks.

I refilled the water system and we used the motorhome to travel to the hospital yesterday.
I got nuevogirl there in plenty of time and took her mind off the wait by trying to complete the MMM crossword! scratch head

After having the procedure (gastroscopy -  with a good prognosis) she was released after only 90 minutes.
Meanwhile, I'd used the gas heating to keep the 'van warm for her and even used up most of my culinary skills in making her a mashed banana butty and a cup of lukewarm tea (as prescribed).

To be able to have a warm comfortable vehicle, with superb onsite facilities was really the best outcome.
We relaxed in it for over 90 minutes before the long drive home .
Thankfully the long drive home was fairly relaxing too.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

rogerblack likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:50 am

Really pleased that went well for you and Nuevogirl. Thanks for the update.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:54 am

Glad it all worked out well. These are the situations where motorhomes provide benefits that aren't considered during purchase. I used ours when house-sitting for daughter when she had a new bathroom fitted a few weeks ago, meant I had access to toilet without interrupting fitters and used on board bathroom for morning ablutions.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum