The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SMC, Newark

+4
Millie The Moocher
OssettIan
burlingtonboaby
merv
8 posters

Go down

SMC, Newark Empty SMC, Newark

Post by merv Wed 12 Jan 2022, 10:03 am

We were close to buying a new van from SMC in Newark last October but we decided not to proceed mainly due to my wife's ill health.
SMC were very sympathetic in their attitude towards us and made withdrawing from the deal a painless process.
I can't comment on any other aspect of SMC but the excellent attitude of one of the owners and the manager spoke volumes about this company.
merv

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

SMC, Newark Empty Re: SMC, Newark

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed 12 Jan 2022, 11:00 am

I've chatted to several A/S owners over the years, they had purchased and serviced their vans at SMC Newark, all give the company excellent reviews and would go back to them again.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by OssettIan Fri 16 Sep 2022, 3:19 pm

Are we just unlucky then?? We bought our new motorhome from SMC in March and we have had no success with a warranty issue that has dragged on now for almost two and a half months. I have written to them several times, made numerous telephone calls and we are still no further forward. It feels as though they have no interest or, indeed, intention to help us.

We now wish we had bought elsewhere.
OssettIan
OssettIan

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by Millie The Moocher Tue 20 Sep 2022, 8:40 am

We bought our Kingham from SMC and also found them to be dragging their feet dealing with some warranty issues. Accepting that this happened immediately post pandemic lock down, but their lack of response and or someone actually just owning the problem was frustrating.

Until we got Alisair Briggs Price involved, one of the owners of SMC.

Might be worth dropping him a line, his email is alistair@smcnewark.co.uk

Ultimately all was sorted but it wasn’t until Alistair got involved that we felt things started to happen.
Millie The Moocher
Millie The Moocher

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2021

DeeBee and OssettIan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Wed 21 Sep 2022, 9:18 am

Timely post, reminded me…

We’ve had our Warwick XL two months now and when picking it up from SMC Newark we were told the kitchen countertop was damaged and would be done under warranty. Haven’t heard anything so far so have now chased with the sales person. 

To be fair up to now they’ve been fine; there was a big problem with the tracker in the van but they were very helpful in getting that resolved; also was impressed with the hand over compared to previous vans we’ve owned. 

Hopefully they won’t let us down with this issue.
DeeBee
DeeBee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Wed 21 Sep 2022, 11:19 am

… oh well, spoke to soon then. 

Got a reply this morning saying the photos were wiped and could I send some over to be sent off to Auto Sleeper for the warranty claim. We had to wait 6+ weeks to pick the van up in the first place so I was already a bit peeved that “it hadn’t been noticed” until day of pickup. We were promised on the day warranty claim was already in and now 2 months later we find out (after having to chase) that it hasn’t even been submitted. 

Really disappointed, was hoping after the god awful after sales when we bought our Swift that SMC would be better but not off to a great start with this. I cc’d Alistair as Millie suggested (thank you!) so hopefully they’ll get on with it.
DeeBee
DeeBee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed 21 Sep 2022, 11:48 am

They have a very nice Frankia I could fancy but there are 195000 reasons why I shouldn't have a go at it. Did they used to be Brownhills?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Wed 21 Sep 2022, 12:40 pm

We got our Broadway from them (not new) and the service was very good without and pressure while looking around their vans.

It is close to Brownhills but not connected. We only look when we are thinking of changing our van so went to Brownhills to look at different vans as they have a large selection to compare in one place, but no intention of buying from them or anyone at that time.

Then while we were in Newark decided to drop into SMC, and as they say the rest is history.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by OssettIan Fri 23 Sep 2022, 2:49 pm

Millie The Moocher wrote:We bought our Kingham from SMC and also found them to be dragging their feet dealing with some warranty issues. Accepting that this happened immediately post pandemic lock down, but their lack of response and or someone actually just owning the problem was frustrating.

Ultimately all was sorted but it wasn’t until Alistair got involved that we felt things started to happen.

Hi and thanks for the information re Alistair Briggs Price. I will give it a try. We have still not had any response from SMC subsequent to my previous post on here. They really are a disgrace. 

Thanks again for your suggestion.
OssettIan
OssettIan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Fri 23 Sep 2022, 6:52 pm

Unfortunately poor service from one employee can blight your experience of the whole organisation, sales, the part exchange deal you've achieved, and then your experience of their service department.

With our faulty Sargent EC700, SMC handled the matter as well as we could have expected, considering it was Sargemt's fault in supplying to A-S a defective product that Sargent took several months to resolve in 2019 into 2020

We had an issue with a stiff bathroom tap in our Kemerton XL. It wasn't SMC's fault, or A-S's for that matter, I bought the same tap on eBay and this was also far too too stiff to rotate the spout. SMC Service Department unsuccessfully kept trying to fix our original tap from becoming loose (twice, so that involved lots of miles and miles of travelling back to SMC).

I took our Kemerton XL to A-S in Willersey and they replaced the tap with another with a more free rotating spout. No more did the bathroom tap become loose, so far. There's only a single fixing bolt on these taps.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by OssettIan Sat 01 Oct 2022, 4:15 pm

OssettIan wrote:
Millie The Moocher wrote:We bought our Kingham from SMC and also found them to be dragging their feet dealing with some warranty issues. Accepting that this happened immediately post pandemic lock down, but their lack of response and or someone actually just owning the problem was frustrating.

Hi and thanks for the information re Alistair Briggs Price. I will give it a try. We have still not had any response from SMC subsequent to my previous post on here. They really are a disgrace. 

Well Alistair Briggs-Price came through for us. We are booked it with SMC following his prompt intervention. Thanks again for the tip off Millie The Moocher.
OssettIan
OssettIan

Male

Millie The Moocher likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Millie The Moocher Sat 01 Oct 2022, 5:22 pm

OssettIan wrote:
OssettIan wrote:

Well Alistair Briggs-Price came through for us. We are booked it with SMC following his prompt intervention. Thanks again for the tip off Millie The Moocher.
It’s such a shame for the business that you have to get the owner involved before the staff do what they are paid to do so_sad

Once we got the ball rolling via Alistair I made sure he was copied in to every e mail I sent. I also followed up all phone calls with an email, confirming what had been said and agreed.

Hope it all works out for you:big thumbs up:
Millie The Moocher
Millie The Moocher

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sat 01 Oct 2022, 10:11 pm

OssettIan wrote:
OssettIan wrote:

Glad you got sorted eventually. I had zero acknowledgement of my return email with pictures, i’ll chase it again in a week. Out of interest which salesman were you dealing with?
DeeBee
DeeBee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by OssettIan Sun 02 Oct 2022, 9:05 am

DeeBee wrote:
OssettIan wrote:
OssettIan wrote:

Glad you got sorted eventually. I had zero acknowledgement of my return email with pictures, i’ll chase it again in a week. Out of interest which salesman were you dealing with?
I have been dealing with Howard Yeoman in my attempts to have our warranty issues dealt with and he has now arranged a date for us to take our motorhome down to SMC following Alistair Briggs-Price becoming involved. Don't know if he is a salesman though.
OssettIan
OssettIan

Male

Back to top Go down