The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Manchester CAZ

+6
Crashman
delilah
bikeralw
harrysp
gassygassy
Biscuit
10 posters

Go down

Great Manchester CAZ Empty Great Manchester CAZ

Post by Biscuit Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:19 pm

Happy New Year to everyone champagnefireworksblush

Just been on Gov UK, as we have been having a discussion about Andy Burnham

Last time I checked my Gatcombe, Sait it was £10

Just checked it now it's exempt till June 2023, seems motorhomes where classed as leisure vehicles, but GM changed it.

Cameras and signs are appearing everywhere now.

Partition was rejected by Goverment, so now started one about Andy Burnham 

Wrote to council if I had an electric car, can you provide a charger and parking outside my door.
They said couldn't do it and as it's impossible to charge it at my home.
Busy main road. Double yellow lines and kerb lines, can't have a drive
Excuse Not allowed to drive over the pavement on a busy road
 Don't all drives well most have dropped kerbs and drive over pavements to get into their drive ?
My nearest charger is 5 miles away.

Doing all this charging but no infrastructure in place.

Council got 120 million to provide all this. But managed to pay millions to a company to put put cameras up and serve charges and fines.

Have to get a jet pack, can't charge you if you in the air, no one owns this, that's why can put phone wires etc
In the air no charges

Pat
Biscuit
Biscuit
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2001

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Great Manchester CAZ Empty Re: Great Manchester CAZ

Post by gassygassy Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:13 pm

If I lived in Greater Manchester I would move out and leave the place to the millionaires who can afford electric cars and have space to park in their mansions and pay the inevitable higher prices for everything they buy. They won't mind, they don't know the price of a 250g pack of butter so they won't notice if it doubles. Delivery trucks will pay I believe £25 to stop at Waitrose and M&S. The place will become a ghost town. Where will they get their cleaners, gardeners and pool attendants from? Trouble is, I might want to drive from south England up to the Lakes so I will have to go up the east coast and then across.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:36 am

At the moment the mayor, AB, has paused the rollout of the CAZ for Light Goods Vehicles and taxis following a backlash on social media. However local journalists believe this will be to secure extra money from central government for the purchase of compliant vehicles- doubtful motorhomes will qualify.

Gassygassy, I think you may have the wrong city- the rich live in Cheshire, and the ‘cleaners, gardeners and pool attendants’ live in Greater Manchester. Oh, and If you drive through on the way to the Lakes you won’t have to pay if you stay on the motorway. No idea of course if it’s closed and you have to follow the diversion-in fact have they even thought of that?

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:56 am

The Manchester CAZ will start about 10 miles north of where I live, but to get to the Lake District or Scotland, or anywhere north west, the most direct route involves driving to Stockport and getting on the M60-M61 in order to feed on to the M6.
 In future, to avoid the zone I'll have to first travel west to Knutsford and join the M6 there. More or less doubling my mileage to get north of Manchester...
Where's the saving in emissions there??
Surely the answer is the same as London, restrict the charge to inside the orbital motorway.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Silver Tourist and gassygassy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by delilah Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:51 am

If and probably when this comes in I think it will be the end for a lot of motor home owners in Greater Manchester myself included. 
There will probably be a big shift to caravans.
We normally fill up with diesel the day before we set of  and then leave next day so there's £20 extra plus the £10 when  we come back home!!!
delilah
delilah

Male

Member Age : 74
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Crashman Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:00 pm

Crashman
Crashman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:35 pm

I'm anxious to find out where I'll stand with regards to our Nuevo.  I've looked at the website, and the Government checker, but am still uncertain.

1. If I want to drive from South Wales to Scotland using the M6 - let's say I join at Knutsford J19 - and emerge the North side of Manchester at, say, Preston (J31) i.e. traversing the Manchester CAZ by staying on the M6 without stopping or deviating, will I have to pay the charge when it's eventually introduced? 

2. I see that there is an exemption currently until 30 May 2022. Great: I'm travelling the week earlier. But I return after 30 May so, unless the exemption is extended, I'll have to pay unless the answer to Q.1 is that I'd be OK if I stick to the M6. Is that correct?

All correct advice welcomed!  They don't make it easy, do they?

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:50 pm

My understanding is that the charge does not apply on m/ways used for passing through GM.

"....Most roads managed by Highways England, such as motorways and trunk roads, will not be included, with a few exceptions."

https://cleanairgm.com/clean-air-zone/

Last edited by Tinwheeler on Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Crashman Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:54 pm

Cymro - According to the website https://cleanairgm.com/clean-air-zone-map/ (Produced by Clean Air Greater Manchester):

"It includes local roads, but does not include the Strategic Road Network (SRN) of motorways and major trunk roads which is managed by National Highways (formerly Highways England)"

There are, however, exceptions. I'd suggest you take a look and see where your own particular circumstances fit in.
Crashman
Crashman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:37 pm

Many thanks, Tinwheeler and Crashman. That's a relief.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Tinwheeler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:31 am

That map looks like a minefield getting on to the motorway system as it seems the A6 isn't on the exempt list.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:19 am

As a GM resident I can confirm it does not include the motorways. So M6, M62 and M 60 etc passing through are all free. The exemption for smaller vehicles is until May 23, but Andy Burnham has met with SOS George Eustace this week to try to suspend the scheme. According to reports he has at last realised that it will greatly effect businesses and thinks the scheme needs to be reconsidered- a bit rich when he was the person behind it all along. Anyway, despite the countless signs already in place it now seems that it will be changed. Nothing is definite at the moment.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:10 am

Well I guess all these existing or proposed clean air zones will reduce emissions by the mere fact that folk will avoid going there. If I ran a business in these areas I wouldn't be happy.
I've not ventured inside the M25 since the millennium celebration and have no plans to do so in the future. GM won't be on my places to visit either even though half my relatives live there. A good excuse not to see them really...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:09 am

The start of the Clean Air Zone for the Greater Manchester area has now been delayed.

See: https://cleanairgm.com/news/greater-manchester-clean-air-zone-joint-statement-with-government/

for the up-to-date info. You can still write or speak to the organizers to express your views / concerns at:

General enquiries:
info@cleanairgm.com
0161 244 1333

EDIT: Sorry everyone, this is a duplicate post, it should have gone in the General Chat forum.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:02 am

Think there are quite a few breathing lightly about this, but with this lot in parliament anything could happen.

If GM have to impose tolls then I think it should by confined to the city centre and exclude Wigan,Leigh,Bolton,Oldham,Stockport areas etc (got to put that in as we have friends in Gatley)
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down