The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

REPLACING WINCHCOMBE REAR CAMERA

3 posters

Go down

REPLACING WINCHCOMBE REAR CAMERA   Empty REPLACING WINCHCOMBE REAR CAMERA

Post by Razzy 1st November 2021, 17:41

Do fellow members have any advice or information about fitting a replacement rear camera system to my Winchcombe?  The existing factory fitted camera is working and is wireless with a transmitter in the rear washroom wardrobe and it connects to the Garmin Avtex Tourer satnav when reverse is selected but the picture quality is only fair and I'd like to be able to monitor the rear when travelling etc.  I'm looking to fit a twin camera wired system with a monitor clipped on the rear view mirror and I note all the good comments about DRW.  

My main query is about installing the twin camera and running the wire from the camera to the chassis at the rear.  Does anyone know what is under the dark grey rear moulding at the top of the rear panel that houses the high level brake light and the factory fitted camera and are there any tips on how best to take this panel off without damaging it?  I wondered about running the new camera wire down with the brake light wire and so I've removed the inside washroom mirror and panel above the basin and there is narrow channel cut in the styrene insulation under the mirror panel where the brake light wire runs but this goes down through the insulation and there looks to be no room to easily push or pull through a second wire for the new camera?  

There are voids at each side of the rear panel that appear to go all the way up to the roof and does anyone know if there is a horizontal void at the top of the rear panel either side of the dark grey rear molding that I could run the cable through or is there insulation or framework etc that would prevent this?  

I've looked at the really helpful and excellent article in MMM from summer 2020 about installing this type of system but wondered if anyone has any more first hand detail about the moulding and rear panel configuration on a Winchcombe before I proceed further (or opt out and have it fitted!).
Razzy
Razzy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

REPLACING WINCHCOMBE REAR CAMERA   Empty Re: REPLACING WINCHCOMBE REAR CAMERA

Post by Guest 1st November 2021, 18:33

I did a like for like camera replacement on a 2018 Broadway.  The grey moulding is held in place with a large bead of sikaflex. Once you have removed the screws holding the high level brake light and the camera bracket it's just a matter of patience with a putty knife to gently prise the moulding free. Behind that you will find a hole approximately 30mm diameter.  The wiring goes through this and down the offside void in the rear grp panel to the light cluster.
I can't offer any advice on wiring at the front end of the van
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Razzy 1st November 2021, 20:41

Thanks very much for the information and advice - did you use sikaflex to re-attach the grey panel?
Razzy
Razzy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 1st November 2021, 22:51

Yes, went back on pretty much the same way.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Razzy 2nd November 2021, 18:52

Thanks again.
Razzy
Razzy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry the Bishop 24th November 2021, 16:43

You might want to read the thread in 'Van Conversions' about A/S reversing cameras.
I have a Kingham which I believe has the same set up as you describe.
a poor camera picture, which the advice given suggests hazing of the outer plastic due to UV light fade. it might help
Barry the Bishop
Barry the Bishop

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Razzy 25th November 2021, 10:58

Thanks very much for this - will definitely give it a go whilst I decide how best to proceed with installing a twin camera system.
Razzy
Razzy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH 25th November 2021, 14:11

Razzy, go to the section "Members Factsheets" In there you'll find my tome Executive A New Project
Dig through that there's a whole section re dual cameras.
Mine are excellent and so is the clip on monitor.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Razzy 25th November 2021, 18:56

Thanks IanH for pointing me to your factsheet - very helpful information and advice.  I'm still undecided about best to approach running/installing the wiring between the cameras and the monitor in the cab but will explore options further over the next few weeks.
Razzy
Razzy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH 25th November 2021, 20:35

I took the camera power from the cab light it has a permanent +ve to allow it to come on when the doors open, I just used a switch from that.
As to the cables, in my case I ran them along the tops of the side roof lockers into the overcab space, poss not an option for you.
Either way 100% worth having, especially the two as you then have all possible options.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down