The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Campsites Near Towns/Cities

+18
jetty
Traficlady
Dbvwt
HJA
rgermain
Kdc
Kevinktwo
Caraman
Caslon
fred1
Relaxez-Vous
Kemerton-bath
harrysp
burlingtonboaby
Cymro
Paulmold
v8oholic
AndyLouch
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Campsites Near Towns/Cities - Page 2 Empty Re: Campsites Near Towns/Cities

Post by Traficlady Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:35 pm

Tewkesbury
Salisbury
Hawes
Moffat
Norden Farm, Corfe. Good walk along the old disused road so no traffic

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:30 pm

Broadmeadow site Ross on Wye. Despite having to drive through an industrial estate , its really nice with fishing lakes on site , Riverside walks and town within walking distance,  Morrisons adjacent and Sainsburys and Aldi in town.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:47 pm

Don't think anyone has mentioned the CAMC Queen Elizabeth site in Stonehaven (Stonie) .
Very near the beach and open air warm water (sea) swimming pool,
coop store within 500 Mtrs, also chip shop,sweetie shop.
Lots of traditional shops in the town,promanard walk to the harbour area.
Only 30 minutes from Aberdeen and major roads to the Moray coast.
Open till 4 th Jan.
Forgot to mention  the Stonehaven fire ball festival at the end of the year.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:07 pm

Oh good! Thanks BB - we're staying there for 2 nights in May before catching the ferry from Aberdeen. A Scottish friend reccomended it, and you've confirmed that it's a good choice.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by jetty Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:55 pm

Cud Life Campsite. Regular buses from drive end, 10minutes into Harrogate, from where twice hourly trains to York and Leeds (both about 30 minutes),or use buses.
jetty
jetty
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:19 pm

Andy. The C&MC site at Totnes, a lovely town on the river Dart. You will not need a bike, as the town is on the sites doorstep. Supermarket, individual local shops, cafes, pubs and restaurants. Bus service to Many local towns and resorts nearby.  If running, a cruise on the river to Dartmouth, passing where Agatha Christie lived on the way down.

Site is mostly grass, has only two toilets and showers a bit old but very clean. The down side, is no electric. A very popular site. Not owned by the club a bit like Baltic Wharf, so no money spent to develop these amenities, as the council could take it back for whatever reason at any time.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:53 pm

The reason I didn't include the Steamer Quay Caravan Club site at Totnes is that it has a short season 11 Mar 2022 - 26 Sep 2022 and therefore would be unsuitable for Andy's November trip.  It only has 3 hardstanding pitches by the entrance and from experience the grass pitches are soft in places.  Quite a few of them were being rested when I was there last summer – in the rain!  That said, it is a nice site and perfectly located for exploring Totnes and the River Dart and has a large supermarket within a short walk.  As far as I am aware it is the only CAMC site not to have EHUs so it’s a good opportunity to try out the solar.  We chose a pitch on the edge of the site which was nice but due to trees it lost some of the sun in the afternoon.  This, the rain and the poor Sargent solar setup didn’t help our first off-grid experience.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:57 pm

I didn't know there were any CAMC sites without electric to any pitches. The website does point out that all pitches are economy pitches without electric, I just didn't know such a site existed.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:14 pm

Anyone wanting to save a few pounds can stay overnight in the furthest carpark on the Totnes quay beyond the CAMC site.  I think it was £10 a night and possibly open all year.  But there are no facilities, no EHU, no security, no water or waste disposal as far as I could see and signs up saying no sitting out, awnings or BBQs.  For all it was a public carpark and a public right of way, it seemed fairly quiet and there were a few motorhomes and campervans using it but it wasn't for us.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:04 pm

Sorry,  didn’t check when Totnes site was closing. My son lives in Totnes so we stayed there on our way back from Spain to pay him a visit. Stayed a few days, weather was sunny, the solar panel coped fine.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:55 am

This CL ticks the boxes and is open all year.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We stayed there a couple of years ago shortly after the CL opened.  Its only a short walk into Pershore which is an attractive market town with a supermarket and bus links to other places.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:51 pm

Cymro wrote:Oh good! Thanks BB - we're staying there for 2 nights in May before catching the ferry from Aberdeen. A Scottish friend reccomended it, and you've confirmed that it's a good choice.

Cymro
Sorry Cymro, missed your post , dozy Dora    shrugg   We should be up there in May too! Might see you.  up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly

Back to top Go down

Post by NickT Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:49 pm

Just thought I'd add another to the list, The Rowing Club in Hereford.  Right next to the Wye, toilets and showers available in the clubhouse, as are drinks in the evening and cooked breakfast at the weekend.  £8 per adult, (September 2022).  An easy walk into the city.  Asda, Sainsbury's, Tesco all within a few minutes.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Orian Gemini
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:02 pm

Hi all, this is a really useful thread and certainly has given us some good ideas. Recently stayed at CAMC affiliated site at Bridgnorth (to get my regular 'steam fix' on the Severn Valley Railway) and it's just under 3 miles to the railway from the site. However, it's pretty much all downhill going and quite a steep climb back. Without out ebikes we would have struggled!! Unfortunately, busy road as well, so not ideal cycling. I think there is an irregular bus, stop about 200m from the site entrance.
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:47 pm

I think Seabreeze CL in NE Devon just about ticks the box.  It's outside the attractive village of Appledore with a short passenger ferry to Instow and within an easy walk or cycle ride of Northam and Westward Ho.  I think collectively these can count as a town but the delightful town of Bideford can also be reached by a longer walk or cycle ride and there are regular bus services to Bideford and the larger town of Barnstaple and from Westward Ho to Ilfracombe.  Other buses can be caught from Barnstaple e.g. to Croyde.  The site is quiet and spacious on the edge of Northam Burrows Country Park with direct access to the sea and SW Coastal Path.  We had 5 nights there last month and found plenty of things to do without driving anywhere.  This included me cycling most of the excellent Tarka Trail from just over the Long Bridge at Bideford.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:10 pm

Another site to consider is Beare Mill CL outside Crediton NW of Exeter.  It's very rural and nice but only 45 mins walk along a variety of pleasant routes into the centre of Crediton which is a town. The RW station can be reached along a flat footpath close to the river in about 30 mins.  There are better towns in Devon than Crediton but it has everything you need including good bus and rail links to other places.  We took the bus to Exeter but the train to Okehampton was tempting.  There are good rural walks to be had from the site but ours were curtailed somewhat by poor weather.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:15 pm

Surprised that the CAMC Cadeside site on the outskirts of Wellington in Somerset hasn't had a mention.  It ticks all the boxes and is the only CAMC site I know of with no facilities that's open all year.  It's a pretty little site with just 16 pitches and a 10 minute walk along busy roads with pavements into Wellington which is a nice town.  There are rural walks and cycle rides from the site and a regular bus service to Taunton which is worth a visit.  There is some traffic noise that was exacerbated during our stay by building works opposite the site entrance but it was quiet at night.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:49 am

Caraman wrote:Surprised that the CAMC Cadeside site on the outskirts of Wellington in Somerset hasn't had a mention.  It ticks all the boxes and is the only CAMC site I know of with no facilities that's open all year.  It's a pretty little site with just 16 pitches and a 10 minute walk along busy roads with pavements into Wellington which is a nice town.  There are rural walks and cycle rides from the site and a regular bus service to Taunton which is worth a visit.  There is some traffic noise that was exacerbated during our stay by building works opposite the site entrance but it was quiet at night.
its a Lidl site being built so will be good for getting shopping when staying at this site
I was one of many going past in my truck giving an early wake up call .I don't charge any fees for wake up calls when going past
f1 snigger
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:44 pm

AndyLouch wrote:Hi all, this is a really useful thread and certainly has given us some good ideas. Recently stayed at CAMC affiliated site at Bridgnorth (to get my regular 'steam fix' on the Severn Valley Railway) and it's just under 3 miles to the railway from the site. However, it's pretty much all downhill going and quite a steep climb back. Without out ebikes we would have struggled!! Unfortunately, busy road as well, so not ideal cycling. I think there is an irregular bus, stop about 200m from the site entrance.
Also both a railway enthusiast and a keen railway modeller I can recommend further upmarket  static van site which has a small area for motorhomes and caravans Riverside with about a 10 minute walk along the banks of River Seven.

You can use the Cliff Railway to the main town and of course access to the Seven Valley Railway.

They also have a rally field and the CMC Midland centre have a rally 21st to 23rd April 

Unfortunately I have already booked on there other rally on Porth Beach at £17 per night with full facilities 

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:11 pm

glyne lock wrote:
Caraman wrote:Surprised that the CAMC Cadeside site on the outskirts of Wellington in Somerset hasn't had a mention.  It ticks all the boxes and is the only CAMC site I know of with no facilities that's open all year.  It's a pretty little site with just 16 pitches and a 10 minute walk along busy roads with pavements into Wellington which is a nice town.  There are rural walks and cycle rides from the site and a regular bus service to Taunton which is worth a visit.  There is some traffic noise that was exacerbated during our stay by building works opposite the site entrance but it was quiet at night.
its a Lidl site being built so will be good for getting shopping when staying at this site
I was one of many going past in my truck giving an early wake up call .I don't charge any fees for wake up calls when going past
f1 snigger
I might have guessed!  Yes - pitches 1, 2 & 3 are the ones to avoid as they are along the lane which you must have used.  We were as far away from the lane as possible on pitch 9.  We have only just got back after 4 days of fog but we quite liked it.  It would have been nice to have a view when we walked to the Wellington Monument and other locations.  I managed 1 1/2 hrs on the bike when the fog lifted slightly but had to rush back when it closed in again.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:29 pm

If you are on pitch 1 2 and 3  I would not just wake you from the sound but from the weight of my load shake the ground.the site is a good place close to j26 of the m5 and lots of places close by to see 
Hestercombe gardens is a place most people would like to see this is in Taunton
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2