The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to Black

+4
Paulmold
Bilbobaggins
RogerThat
FreelanderUK
8 posters

Go down

Back to Black Empty Back to Black

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:59 am

About 8 weeks ago I tried this product on the roof of my smart car that had started to peel the top coat back to the plastic roof 
https://www.marinesuppliesdirect.co.uk/owatrol--colour-restorer-500ml-marine-polytrol-4322-p.asp?gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9yJBhDTARIsABKIcGbtzMEZ5BtceSMUw0xCVTGWWgiDOkkqWncoyUSOkEvstVSwUqn2LVEaArCoEALw_wcB

It worked a treat and bought the roof back to jet black, it’s not faded or lost its sheen despite been washed and jet washedBack to Black E9969310
Back to Black 3fae4610

I have just treated the trim on the WXL to a coat of the stuff and it looks great,very happy with the out come and only cost £14 delivered 

First photo untreated 
Back to Black 38f15a10
Back to Black F23f1910
Back to Black 4d666810

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Back to Black Empty Re: Back to Black

Post by RogerThat Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:28 am

Wow, that's an incredible difference - on both vehicles   allthumbz
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:32 am

Like that! I have been using Muck Off spray which needs done about every three months. Will have a look for back to black. up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:46 am

I use liquid shoe polish, £1 from Home Bargains, been on a year now and still looking good. Luckily my trims are black not grey like a lot of vans

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:52 am

Bilbobaggins wrote:Like that! I have been using Muck Off spray which needs done about every three months. Will have a look for back to black. up!
It’s not called back to black it is

Polytrol Colour Restorer

https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/polytrol/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9yJBhDTARIsABKIcGZSkJzv-VAE1OWTE_foACEdbV-PKUQHEuYgrgzmVclrHXbWenfFk0MaAktIEALw_wcB

Sorry the link is so big ,don’t know how that happened😵💫

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:27 pm

I'll be interested to know how long the Owatrol products keeps the roof black as in the picture.
I've used several similar preparations in the past, including one called "Back to Black", they all do what they say but over time what with the rain and UV light it keeps needing to be reapplied,. Auto Express do some useful tests comparing products though I've not checked them out on this.

Thanks Paul for your suggestion of shoe polish as an alternative. I've already taken up several of your suggestions, the water fill hose, the thin screen cover as an alternative to Taylormade or Silverscreens, and the thread about press button shower head to help save on fresh water use.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:49 pm

It apparently works on gel coat so it may be useful on the black panel round the front roof light.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:37 pm

When I was researching for a cheaper option for the smart car roof than having it sanded smooth and painted at a cost of £400 plus this  colour restorer came up in a few reviews for adding colour back to  upvc doors with most comments saying it lasted 12/16 months and was a lot cheaper, 

I actually did a test panel on the WXL trim at the same time, all the other panels showed water streaks after a few days but the treated panel remained clear, if I get 6 months I will be happy as it’s cheap to do and only took 30 minutes after prepping the panels

The darker the panel the better, will not work on white panels, so should be good for the front panel

Male

Apollo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:38 pm

I have just coated the decals on the front of the van with this and it brought back all the faded colour, gave them a real good clean first as had been usi g silicon spray on them but in never lasted, so we will monitor this stuff

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by vwt4 Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:48 pm

I have been using "back to black" for two or three  years on front and rear bumpers and wing mirror housing, lasts about a year to 18 months before starting to need redoing.
mike
vwt4
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Back to Black Empty Back to Black

Post by mrbridger2u Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:22 pm

Tried most things to get the new look back to the plastic sde trim. Back to black only lasted a couple of month, couple of heavy down pours and light grey streaks were back. Most of these treatments are temp fixes, some can last a year if kept out of heavy weather. After three lots of Back to Black, back to the drawing board. Decided to spray them with this 
Monstercolors Spray Paint Satin Finish

Monstercolors Satin Finish Spray Paint Is A High Quality Acrylic General Purpose Aerosol Spray Paint Giving a 40% Sheen Level , It Is Suitable For Metal, Plastic, Wood, Ceramic , Brick & Stone Surfaces . 

These Spray Paints Are: High Resistant To Cracks (Due To Surface Tension) UV Resistant, This Spray Paint Is Specially Formulated

For Both Interior And Exterior Application. It Also Has Excellent Coverage And Adhesion And Is Both Quick Dry And Is Easy To Use.

I use Anthracite Grey, close to original colour and had it on for a month now and still looks good, about the same price of B2B.

Just the fiddly job of masking up the trim.

Had ago at all the plastic covers on the side, water, hookup and aerial cover. Used a lighter shade for this to match fridge grills.
mrbridger2u
mrbridger2u

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down