The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Satellite systems

5 posters

Go down

Satellite systems Empty Satellite systems

Post by Boggie Tue May 11, 2021 5:24 pm

Has anyone got experience of installing and using a Maxview wind up satellite dish, either a 65 or 80 cm size as opposed to the Maxview Vuecube 2?
I’ve read in other posts that when touring in Southern Europe, a larger dish is beneficial for receiving signals from Astra 2. This year we are managing with the standard Gazelle system that AS fit, as we are only touring in the UK, but it hoping to get back into Europe soon.

Where on the Bourton (2019MY) roof is the best place to install  a wind up? I’m thinking over the wardrobe.
Thanks, 
Boggie.
Boggie
Boggie
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 40
Joined : 2020-10-26
Location : Oldcotes, Nottinghamshire
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Satellite systems Empty Re: Satellite systems

Post by bolero boy Tue May 11, 2021 5:40 pm

Boggie, we have an 85 cm auto Teleco dish and and also had a through the roof semi manual 'snipe' type several years ago.
the manual version was great but reception of BBC1 etc on Astra 2 (known as the Spot Beam) peters out around La Rochelle, whereas the Teleco manages all over France right to the Med.
however, the big question is whether you are a Sky sbscriber or not...
Sky's Sports and Movies channels are broadcast on the Astra 2 Pan European Beam which can be picked up well into Spain, even on a small dish.
so, if you're not a subscriber, this wont interest you....the only decision is how far south do you want your 'Home' channels.
if you do subscribe then the Home channels might not be as important if you can get your TV fix from Sky.
the Auto dish is obviously really easy to use but isn't cheap.
avatar
bolero boy
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 1831
Joined : 2017-10-28
Location : somerset

Boggie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Satellite systems Empty Re: Satellite systems

Post by Boggie Tue May 11, 2021 6:01 pm

Thanks Bolero Boy,
I kicked the Sky TV out last year, it e
Was just getting too expensive, so went to Amazon Prime instead which I like a lot better
When we get that far south on the continent, home TV channels are not too important. Radio / local TV are ok and Amazon Prime.
We had the Vuecube on our last Motorhome, a Corinium, which worked fine when we were down near Bordeaux in 2019. But I was thinking that the wind up adds less height overall to the outfit at only 17cm folded.
Boggie
Boggie
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 40
Joined : 2020-10-26
Location : Oldcotes, Nottinghamshire
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Satellite systems Empty Re: Satellite systems

Post by j8snl Tue May 11, 2021 9:35 pm

When I bought my Broadway last year we had a small 12v TV in the van.  This quickly went, too small, poor sound quality and challenging to get decent channel selection.

After some investigation into possibly going satellite I eventually decided against that too and bought a Nebula Capsule Max Projector and fitted a blackout basic roller blind behind the front seats.  

We already had a mobile WiFi connection in the van so this seemed a great idea and it’s worked brilliant, I have Sky Go, Netflix, BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime all loaded onto the Nebula as apps and it works great, pull the roller down in a minute and power on the Nebula (12v or mains).

We have only used our van in the UK so far, so worth adding here that Sky Go, Amazon Prime and possibly a few others will no longer worked in Europe after 1st January 2021 unless you’re using a VPN which Sky Go will detect and disable.

Just throwing it out there though, it’s a great setup, minimum fuss and installation efforts if looking for a simple solution.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


Last edited by j8snl on Tue May 11, 2021 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding info)
j8snl
j8snl
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 28
Joined : 2020-08-11
Location : Armadale
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2016

bolero boy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Satellite systems Empty Re: Satellite systems

Post by RML Wed May 12, 2021 7:43 am

Boggie wrote:Has anyone got experience of installing and using a Maxview wind up satellite dish, either a 65 or 80 cm size as opposed to the Maxview Vuecube 2?
I’ve read in other posts that when touring in Southern Europe, a larger dish is beneficial for receiving signals from Astra 2. This year we are managing with the standard Gazelle system that AS fit, as we are only touring in the UK, but it hoping to get back into Europe soon.

Where on the Bourton (2019MY) roof is the best place to install  a wind up? I’m thinking over the wardrobe.
Thanks, 
Boggie.
Thought about going data?  At roughly a quarter of the price if you don't need Sky it has worked for us all over Europe. 
Rich..
RML
RML
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 823
Joined : 2012-03-27
Member Age : 61
Location : Somerset
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Satellite systems Empty Re: Satellite systems

Post by bolero boy Wed May 12, 2021 12:53 pm

Rich, this seems to be the way many folk are going but the 'big boys' dont like you taking your UK system to other parts, meaning you will probably need a VPN to get round the IP issue.
if you can do this, then even Sky (via Sky Go) can be over internet and by adding a 'casting/mirroring' app....chromecast/amazon Fire, you can watch this on your normal TV.
avatar
bolero boy
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 1831
Joined : 2017-10-28
Location : somerset

Back to top Go down

Satellite systems Empty Re: Satellite systems

Post by FreelanderUK Wed May 12, 2021 1:07 pm

bolero boy wrote:Rich, this seems to be the way many folk are going but the 'big boys' dont like you taking your UK system to other parts, meaning you will probably need a VPN to get round the IP issue.
if you can do this, then even Sky (via Sky Go) can be over internet and by adding a 'casting/mirroring' app....chromecast/amazon Fire, you can watch this on your normal TV.
I have tried all sorts to cast Skygo, different apps and cables from my iPad and nothing will work ,it’s my son in laws Sky but he shares with me, are you talking about taking the sky box Chris

_________________
Chris
FreelanderUK
FreelanderUK
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 1198
Joined : 2020-07-18
Location : Lincolnshire
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Satellite systems Empty Re: Satellite systems

Post by bolero boy Wed May 12, 2021 1:24 pm

my sister uses one of my son in laws sharing logins and can 'cast' from a Samsung tablet to her TV via a 'proper' cable...not tried with an ipad...
i have just got a Fire TV Stick and also have Sky Go on my ipad, i might test the mirroring function which is on both devices.
avatar
bolero boy
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 1831
Joined : 2017-10-28
Location : somerset

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Satellite systems Empty Re: Satellite systems

Post by RML Wed May 12, 2021 2:15 pm

If your/a data card in either a phone or mifi is UK registered a VPN is not needed.  We have an onboard WiFi with 3 Internet With Legs card and phone data plans with BT and get all terrestrial UK TV, Amazon and Netflix while abroad through a Firestick without a VPN. 
Rich..
RML
RML
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 823
Joined : 2012-03-27
Member Age : 61
Location : Somerset
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

bolero boy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Satellite systems Empty Re: Satellite systems

Post by j8snl Wed May 12, 2021 6:51 pm

Rich. Have you tested that theory since 1st January?

Many streaming services stopped allowing you to use your service in Europe after Brexit. 

The phone network knows where it is ie Vodafone Uk or Vodafone Es or Vodafone Fr etc. 

This is pretty well posted on all the common sites post Brexit:

Amazon 
Note: As the United Kingdom has left the European Union, customers from the United Kingdom traveling to the European Union will not have access to the same titles as they do when watching Prime Video in their home country.


Sky Go 
From 1 January 2021, you won’t be entitled to stream Sky outside the UK using your Sky Go, Sky Kids, Sky Sports, Sky Sports Mobile TV and Sky Sports Box Office apps. Some Sky apps will allow you to download your favourite shows and movies over WiFi before you leave home to watch offline while you’re abroad.

Certain rules mean people within the EU can stream content across all EU countries. From 1 January 2021, the UK will no longer be part of the EU, so we won’t be able to provide this service in the same way.

Netflix
no quote as this should work, they have services in many countries so it will flip to that country  some shows and movies may disappear for that country

Gov Website 
Cross border portability of online content services between the UK and EU
The EU Portability Regulation no longer applies to UK-EEA travel. In the UK, the regulation has been revoked.

Online content service providers are not required to provide content ordinarily available in the UK to a UK customer who is temporarily present in an EEA Member State.”

Of course a VPN would help all that 


Last edited by j8snl on Wed May 12, 2021 6:54 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Edit)
j8snl
j8snl
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 28
Joined : 2020-08-11
Location : Armadale
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Satellite systems Empty Re: Satellite systems

Post by RML Thu May 13, 2021 7:17 am

j8snl wrote:Rich. Have you tested that theory since 1st January?

Many streaming services stopped allowing you to use your service in Europe after Brexit. 

The phone network knows where it is ie Vodafone Uk or Vodafone Es or Vodafone Fr etc. 

This is pretty well posted on all the common sites post Brexit:

Amazon 
Note: As the United Kingdom has left the European Union, customers from the United Kingdom traveling to the European Union will not have access to the same titles as they do when watching Prime Video in their home country.


Sky Go 
From 1 January 2021, you won’t be entitled to stream Sky outside the UK using your Sky Go, Sky Kids, Sky Sports, Sky Sports Mobile TV and Sky Sports Box Office apps. Some Sky apps will allow you to download your favourite shows and movies over WiFi before you leave home to watch offline while you’re abroad.

Certain rules mean people within the EU can stream content across all EU countries. From 1 January 2021, the UK will no longer be part of the EU, so we won’t be able to provide this service in the same way.

Netflix
no quote as this should work, they have services in many countries so it will flip to that country  some shows and movies may disappear for that country

Gov Website 
Cross border portability of online content services between the UK and EU
The EU Portability Regulation no longer applies to UK-EEA travel. In the UK, the regulation has been revoked.

Online content service providers are not required to provide content ordinarily available in the UK to a UK customer who is temporarily present in an EEA Member State.”

Of course a VPN would help all that 
Thanks for this, had no I haven't tested it. Like many I've not had the opportunity to go away since we left so I was going by information from my supplier but you've got me thinking now.  IIRC my firestick thinks I'm home wherever I switch it on so not sure what will happen. 
Thanks again. 
Rich..
RML
RML
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 823
Joined : 2012-03-27
Member Age : 61
Location : Somerset
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum