The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camping without Electric Hookup

3 posters

Go down

Camping without Electric Hookup Empty Camping without Electric Hookup

Post by micknhilary Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:13 pm

We are considering attending a few holiday rallies that use non electric hookup locations. Quite simply I wonder how long members would expect to stay on site without having to either take the 'van off site to charge the battery or (not a good idea perhaps) run the engine in situ.
To keep the comments even handed, my Executive has no Solar Panel, a single 85 amp/hr leisure battery and the lighting system is as fitted at the factory in 1995. I would not expect to use my tv, and have a perfectly adequate 2xAA battery radio for when we feel the need for entertainment. allthumbz

Mick.
micknhilary
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : none

Back to top Go down

Camping without Electric Hookup Empty Re: Camping without Electric Hookup

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:49 pm

We have used many of these Temporary Holiday Sites without EHU. We have no solar panel eitherand our battery is a standard 85amp. When on these sites we don't use the TV, we have standard fitment strip lights and we do use the CD player/radio which runs of the engine battery. We have gone 3 days without moving the MH. If I were worried I would take one of my dashboard solar trickle charges to help the engine battery. We wouldn't use the blown air heater at all as the fan would soon drain the habitation battery.
Incidently, we stayed on a THS some years ago when we had a caravan and survived a whole fortnight on an 85amp battery.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Camping without Electric Hookup Empty Re: Camping without Electric Hookup

Post by spook69 Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:52 pm

I usually take the van for a run after 3 nights in the same place, or run up the engine insitu for 20mins to charge the batteries.
spook69
spook69

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Trident (VW T4)

Back to top Go down