The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last day of freedom ?

+9
Gromit
Cymro
burlingtonboaby
rogerblack
Tinwheeler
rgermain
groundhog
Paulmold
oldfred
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Last day of freedom ?

Post by oldfred Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:43 pm

Took the motorhome for a run today, just like we usually do during winter as it keeps everything going including us.

We picnicked at a popular local viewpoint at Hest Bank. Fine views across Morecambe bay.

The lady in the 'butty shop' in Garstang agreed with me that collecting our lunch would be an 'essential journey' should we  wish to do it again next week. 

Not sure what other members might think. ???
oldfred
oldfred
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 543
Joined : 2013-07-28
Member Age : 74
Location : North West
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by Paulmold Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:06 pm

Takeaways are still allowed so collecting a takeaway must be allowed.

_________________
"Tomorrow will be a good day"
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 20574
Joined : 2011-02-21
Member Age : 70
Location : North East Wales
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Bilbobaggins likes this post

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by groundhog Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:44 pm

Go for it, she is allowed to stay open so by default you are allowed to buy your food there. Where you eat it is up to you and as long as Garstang is near to where you live I wouldn't give it a second thought.
I have though made a sign saying local resident with my postcode on it to put in the van window in case the vehicle is targeted as a tourist breaking the law. It has cornish number plate stickers anyway (illegal!) but just in case!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Posts : 4071
Joined : 2011-08-01
Location : Poldarkland
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by rgermain Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:00 pm

As far as we read it, we are still able to go to the Beach to walk the dog and maybe call into Lidl for a Pain au Chocolate on the way for a recreational visit.

Taking precautions as advised and being anti-social. Will wait and see if we are noticed by local bobby.

GH good idea about local sign.
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 2714
Joined : 2013-11-21
Member Age : 74
Location : Havant
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by groundhog Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:59 pm

rgermain wrote:As far as we read it, we are still able to go to the Beach to walk the dog and maybe call into Lidl for a Pain au Chocolate on the way for a recreational visit.

Taking precautions as advised and being anti-social. Will wait and see if we are noticed by local bobby.

GH good idea about local sign.
---------
Richard
Just love LIDL bakery, now drooling for a pain au chocolat! hugegrins
Re the sign don't forget to put at least part of your postcode on it! up!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Posts : 4071
Joined : 2011-08-01
Location : Poldarkland
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by Paulmold Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:06 pm

I'm just putting Wales stickers on. If I put postcode on a sign, I may be mistaken for English as our postcode is a Chester one.

_________________
"Tomorrow will be a good day"
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 20574
Joined : 2011-02-21
Member Age : 70
Location : North East Wales
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:23 pm

Same here. The flag of St Piran is much in evidence but our postcode is from foreign parts across the Tamar so not used.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 1393
Joined : 2018-09-20
Location : South West
Auto-Sleeper : WildAx Pulsar
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by rogerblack Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:47 pm

groundhog wrote:.
.
.
I have though made a sign saying local resident with my postcode on it to put in the van window in case the vehicle is targeted as a tourist breaking the law. It has cornish number plate stickers anyway (illegal!) but just in case!
I thought of doing something like that during the previous lockdown, after thousands of motorhomes appeared in Scotland resulting in antipathy from the locals. However we simply reverted to only using the car and kept the van hibernating on the drive until things eased off.

At the moment we are not under lockdown here and are only in a (Scottish) Tier 2 so not restricted on travel etc within the same level areas. However it remains to be seen whether Ms Sturgeon will follow England with her own Scottishy version of lockdown if she doesn't hear what she wants to hear over future furlough payments from Westminster.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cheers
Roger
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 2310
Joined : 2012-09-22
Member Age : 66
Location : East Neuk, Fife / Berkshire
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:06 am

Son heading back to Inveraray said last night the area still has lots of English reg campers dotted around the loch car parks, time the Polis sent them home to think again.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 11464
Joined : 2011-11-15
Member Age : 72
Location : Bridlington
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Slaphead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by Cymro Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:07 am

Looking forward to a few days at St David's next week. Have stayed at Caerfai Bay site many times. But they'll only be accommodating 9 motorhomes next week. Weekdays were available but weekend full.

Van has "Cymru" stickers on reg plates and on rear, so hope to be taken for a native!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 2781
Joined : 2011-06-05
Location : Caerdydd - Cardiff
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:20 am

Cymro wrote:Looking forward to a few days at St David's next week. Have stayed at Caerfai Bay site many times. But they'll only be accommodating 9 motorhomes next week. Weekdays were available but weekend full.

Van has "Cymru" stickers on reg plates and on rear, so hope to be taken for a native!

Cymro
We had a lovely week at Caerfai bay back in 2015, we sat through a storm and helped the owner of a trailer tent get to a safe area, great wee beach, enjoyied the local food, hopefully get back there next spring.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 11464
Joined : 2011-11-15
Member Age : 72
Location : Bridlington
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by Gromit Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:15 pm

rogerblack wrote:
groundhog wrote:However it remains to be seen whether Ms Sturgeon will follow England with her own Scottishy version of lockdown if she doesn't hear what she wants to hear over future furlough payments from Westminster.
I thought she was fanatically keen on Scottish independence Roger - in which case she she shouldn't expect hand outs from Westminster.  shrugg

Just a tad hypocritical, wouldn't you say!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 7239
Joined : 2015-03-11
Member Age : 78
Location : Worcestershire
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by Slaphead Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:59 pm

Gromit wrote:
rogerblack wrote:
groundhog wrote:However it remains to be seen whether Ms Sturgeon will follow England with her own Scottishy version of lockdown if she doesn't hear what she wants to hear over future furlough payments from Westminster.
I thought she was fanatically keen on Scottish independence Roger - in which case she she shouldn't expect hand outs from Westminster.  shrugg

Just a tad hypocritical, wouldn't you say!
As a Scottish member of the forum, I find your remark both uncalled for and totally inflamatory.

Westminster is borrowing trillions of pounds to fund payments and other resources to fight Covid- 18.  They have also absolutely refused Scotland permission to borrow any funding whatever the reason.  The request for furlough payments is certainly not a handout.  Scotland contributes more to England than we ever get back. 

Please consider why Boris and Co. are so determined not to allow Scotland the right to decide if we wish to leave the union (such as it is).  It is certainly not because they like us!

This forum should be kept as a non political one per the forum rules.


Last edited by Slaphead on Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong person!)

_________________
Regards

Dave C.
Slaphead
Slaphead
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 404
Joined : 2016-01-25
Member Age : 76
Location : Dollar, Scotland
Auto-Sleeper : Medallion Mercedes
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by rogerblack Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:14 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:Son heading back to Inveraray said last night the area still has lots of English reg campers dotted around the loch car parks, time the Polis sent them home to think again.
Boaby
Not sure how the place first registered is relevant. Our Pollensa has English reg as will many vehicles bought second hand, doesn't mean they're not now owned by Scots. Our car, bought last year from a VW dealer in St Andrews, Fife, was first registered in Northampton.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cheers
Roger
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 2310
Joined : 2012-09-22
Member Age : 66
Location : East Neuk, Fife / Berkshire
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by rogerblack Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:20 pm

Gromit wrote:
rogerblack wrote:
groundhog wrote:However it remains to be seen whether Ms Sturgeon will follow England with her own Scottishy version of lockdown if she doesn't hear what she wants to hear over future furlough payments from Westminster.
I thought she was fanatically keen on Scottish independence Roger - in which case she she shouldn't expect hand outs from Westminster.  shrugg

Just a tad hypocritical, wouldn't you say!
I'm not going to be drawn into a political debate on here, this is not the place.  My remark was intended light heartedly, if anyone takes it the wrong way then so be it.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cheers
Roger
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 2310
Joined : 2012-09-22
Member Age : 66
Location : East Neuk, Fife / Berkshire
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:38 pm

rogerblack wrote:
burlingtonboaby wrote:Son heading back to Inveraray said last night the area still has lots of English reg campers dotted around the loch car parks, time the Polis sent them home to think again.
Boaby
Not sure how the place first registered is relevant. Our Pollensa has English reg as will many vehicles bought second hand, doesn't mean they're not now owned by Scots. Our car, bought last year from a VW dealer in St Andrews, Fife, was first registered in Northampton.
Son did also mention that some of the vans were hire vans from several cities down south,two of which are under teir 3, others had south of the border football club pennants and stickers on their windows .
He didn't make his assumption only from regional number plates Roger.  up!
Didn't intend to ruffle any feathers .
Have a nice day.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 11464
Joined : 2011-11-15
Member Age : 72
Location : Bridlington
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by groundhog Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:30 pm

I am not sure whether I am misreading but it looks like a quote has been attri uted to me incorrectly
I wish to make it clear I have never made any remarks on Scottish independence
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Posts : 4071
Joined : 2011-08-01
Location : Poldarkland
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by rogerblack Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:33 pm

No worries, Boaby, I'm even balder than a coot so no feathers left to ruffle.   up!

It's just that folk do often jump to conclusions which may be wrong. 

Lots of folk north of the border actually support English football teams, for example!   (But not usually the English national team, of course!!).   happyno

Anyhoo, probably best to avoid verging into contentious subjects such as politics, religion, football (the last two often offering a double whammy up here!) and sex.  Well, maybe sex is OK!  

Hope you're getting some sun down there, lovely day here in the East Neuk.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cheers
Roger
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 2310
Joined : 2012-09-22
Member Age : 66
Location : East Neuk, Fife / Berkshire
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:01 pm

Long time since I went the see the Pars in Dunfermline and the stock cars in Cowdenbeath.
I had NI number plates on my Berlingo and soon changed them when I re located s down here.( wing mirrors kicked off and graffiti over the bonnet.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 11464
Joined : 2011-11-15
Member Age : 72
Location : Bridlington
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by Gromit Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:23 pm

rogerblack wrote:I'm not going to be drawn into a political debate on here, this is not the place.  My remark was intended light heartedly, if anyone takes it the wrong way then so be it.
So was mine Roger, as I'm sure you realised at once having enjoyed a bit of banter on several occasions.  smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 7239
Joined : 2015-03-11
Member Age : 78
Location : Worcestershire
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by rogerblack Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:26 pm

Gromit wrote:
rogerblack wrote:I'm not going to be drawn into a political debate on here, this is not the place.  My remark was intended light heartedly, if anyone takes it the wrong way then so be it.
So was mine Roger, as I'm sure you realised at once having enjoyed a bit of banter on several occasions.  smile!
allthumbz up! handshake

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cheers
Roger
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 2310
Joined : 2012-09-22
Member Age : 66
Location : East Neuk, Fife / Berkshire
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Gromit likes this post

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by IanH Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:12 pm

Took ours to Sea Palling today, walk on beach.....essential exercise and, for me, a vital " injection" of vitamin d.

Bought excellent veg at excellent farm shop on way home.

Had lunch in the van

Can't see anything wrong in that? Can others?
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 2444
Joined : 2020-05-04
Location : NORTH WALSHAM
Auto-Sleeper : AS Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Bilbobaggins likes this post

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by rgermain Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:25 pm

IanH wrote:Took ours to Sea Palling today, walk on beach.....essential exercise and, for me, a vital " injection" of vitamin d.

Bought excellent veg at excellent farm shop on way home.

Had lunch in the van

Can't see anything wrong in that? Can others?
Same with us Ian, Hayling beach, second time this week. Was a lot less people there today compared with yesterday. Topped up our tans and like you vit d.

Everyone was keeping safe and well distanced.
---------
Richard


Last edited by rgermain on Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : text missing)
rgermain
rgermain
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 2714
Joined : 2013-11-21
Member Age : 74
Location : Havant
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by oldfred Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:16 pm

Thanks Richard

Your post brought back fond memories. In the early 70's we lived in Havant (council flat due to my wife teaching in Leigh Park). On a fine day we often cycled to Hayling Beach and then along to Sinah Warren.

Wish we were still that fit smile!
oldfred
oldfred
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 543
Joined : 2013-07-28
Member Age : 74
Location : North West
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Last day of freedom ?  Empty Re: Last day of freedom ?

Post by rgermain Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:08 pm

oldfred wrote:Thanks Richard

Your post brought back fond memories. In the early 70's we lived in Havant (council flat due to my wife teaching in Leigh Park). On a fine day we often cycled to Hayling Beach and then along to Sinah Warren.

Wish we were still that fit smile!
Yes not much has changed down here, just the traffic getting on and off the Island.

Ok going East and West, but going up your way takes a bit longer. Handy for the Ferries when allowed, but we use the Tunnel due to the dog.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 2714
Joined : 2013-11-21
Member Age : 74
Location : Havant
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum