The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aldi Tevion satellite system any use 2020?

Go down

Aldi Tevion satellite system any use 2020? Empty Aldi Tevion satellite system any use 2020?

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:31 pm

Some years ago I bought a Aldi/Tevion satellite system and for the money it worked well enough, getting the dish pointing at our chosen satellite sometimes took a while. At the time we were going to France often and it's best performance was when we were camping near Lyon, for a small dish being able to watch UK freesat TV was enjoyable. Then going further South and East I found there were some stations on other satellites carrying stations broadcasting in English. We occasionally used it in the UK if there was poor terrestrial reception, mainly to keep up to date with the news rather than watching any films or sports coverage.

I had to replace the LMB after a couple of years, finding them cheap and for sale in the French Hypermarkets.
I did read that Astra had altered their coverage some years ago, necessitating the need for a bigger dish if camping abroad.
As far as I am aware there are no firmware updates for this box, does that matter?

At the time I connected the Tevion through a scart lead to our TV, we've now got an Avtex TV with built-in satellite receiver. Is a bigger satellite dish all I need then, and the Tevion set is obsolete and redundant?
For a free standing dish on a tripod, what the minimum if camping in France?

How useful is still having this Tevion system in 2020? Before I do any experiments like setting up the small dish on the front lawn, I'd like to know what others think.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Aldi Tevion satellite system any use 2020? Empty Re: Aldi Tevion satellite system any use 2020?

Post by Guest Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:12 am

how big is the dish?....40/60cm?
a 60cm dish should still pull a decent Astra 2 signal anywhere in the UK, incl Scotland...after all, this is whats fitted on the side of every Sky household up there.
if its a 40cm dish, the further north you go the harder it will be to lock on, but most Sky households south of the border have 40cm dishes, we do in Somerset....theyre fine.
moving abroad the picture changes....the UK 'spot beam' which is what delivers BBC/ITV etc to our homes has been tightened which makes it harder to pick these up as you go south into France.
we have an 85cm dish on the van roof and it picks up home channels  as far south as the med/pyrenees, but a smaller dish losing the signal proportionately earlier in the journey south.
however, if you were a Sky subscriber, the majority of these programs are on the Pan Euro beam....same satellite, different signal...which is easily accessed on quite small dishes all over Europe.
good luck.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Aldi Tevion satellite system any use 2020? Empty Re: Aldi Tevion satellite system any use 2020?

Post by Relaxez-Vous Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:06 pm

Thanks, and do you use a dedicated sat receiver or a TV with built in decoder like the Avtex? I suspect that as it's on the roof you've an automatic sat  tracking system with appropriate sat receiver included?
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:34 pm

i have Sky at home and a second dedicated Sky+HD receiver in the van...
we have two TVs in the van and one certainly has a Sat receiver built in, but it really only makes sense to use the Sky box as it has a great front end interface and can record multiple programs at once. ive just upped my phones data allowance and have connected the Sky box to this so we now have on-demand services in the van.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down