The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whale "caravan" water fill.

+19
Backtrax
Robbie
Barbara K
Jaime 007
skyrakes
Lyonnesse
paul bullock
Rufus Stone
Peterm
Dutto
Peter Brown
Pug boxter
CC
inspiredron
murph
DuxDeluxe
padraigpost
Nuevo II EK
Neuvosleeper
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Whale "caravan" water fill. - Page 3 Empty Re: Whale "caravan" water fill.

Post by inspiredron Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:47 pm

Robbie wrote:
Barbara K wrote:I've been following this topic with interest as I was also concerned about the length of time that we waited for our 2011 Cotswold to fill with water. After 30 mins at 1 service pint somebody told us that the connection to the van should be tighter and used the cover to lock the connection in place. This did speed things up a bit.
As we now need to disinfect the system before taking the van out to Spain I wonder how this is achieved in a closed system. There was only the flat hose supplied with our van.
thanks for any help.

I agree you do need to use the cover to lock the filler properly into place or it wont fill promptly
You will have an external pump with your van as well just use that and put it into a drum filled with your cleaning solution. Remember to change your pump setting on the control panel to external and then when ready select fill.

The instructions are very clear on this! Perhaps that is why some people have so much trouble in filling up up!
We leave our pump setting on "Both" permanently!

Last edited by inspiredron on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding another sentence)

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara K Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:25 am

Must have got sidetracked with comment from Lyonnesse re external pump being stored wet and breeding ground for bacteria. Haven't tried to fill from a bucket yet but will try doing the disinfection this way before we go away. Does anyone have suggestions for one that doesn't leave after trace in the system. We used to use Chempro in our caravan (the stuff that you use for home brewing)thinking it wouldn't leave a taste but it did.
Barbara K

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:34 pm

Have followed the whole debate on water filling methods with interest.
Our 2010 Broadway has the Truma fill system.
I have just timed the first fill of the year (75Ltr) with the Truma hose at 9min 30 secs.
Not bad considering the times I have seen posted for the Whale system.
I see 2 disadvantages with our system - both of which are not major and I can live with.
Firstly there is no automatic shut of valve in the Truma system, so you cannot have the van permanently connected to a hose.
There is an overflow pipe at the top of the tank - which presumably helps the quicker fill time.
Secondly, as with the Whale system, to introduce some steralizing tablets you have to crush and dissolve them in a bucket of water then use the external pump to put the solution into the tank.

We fully disinfect the whole system by using 100ml bleach to a tank full of water, leaving 4 hours, then thoroughly flush the whole system 3 times. We can then use the tank water with steralising tablets even for drinking.
We use our home water filter jug filled from the motorhome kitchen tap and it is fine.
Apart from the cost of 2 litres of bottled water a day, more importantly it saves us carting bottled water from the supermarket every day.
Of course, if on a site for more than a few days, we do have to top up the tank with a bucket and the external pump, but that is the same for any system.
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

Whale "caravan" water fill. - Page 3 Empty Truma Fill and Quality of Fresh Water

Post by Peter Brown Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Truma Fill

In most cases where a van was supplied new with a Truma fill system it is also supplied with a fill hose that includes a pressure reducer. This Truma device is so that caravans that do not have a fitted tank or internal pump can be connected (via the reducer) direct to mains water without damaging the internal plumbing.

On Auto Sleeper motorhomes the Truma connection system is only used so that a small bore pipe can be used to fill the freshwater tank. The worst that can happen if the mains water pressure is too high is for the hose connector to blow off the van. I discovered last year that some vans had been supplied with hoses without the pressure reducer so (on the basis that pressure can always be controlled by adjusting the mains tap) I removed mine. The van now fills much quicker from the hose and I haven't had any problems with the hose staying connected.

When filling using a Truma external pump and water container there are three pump switching options:

Pump set to internal and use fill control - fill control has to be operated after every minute - a nuisance.

Pump set to external - as soon as you plug the pump connector into the van the pump operates and does so until either the connector is removed or the water level gauge indicates 100%. When using this option the internal pump is disabled which can be embarrassing if you forget that's the reason its not working!!

Pump set to both. Just plug the external pump into the van and it operates until the tank is full. I use this option but have also included an on/off switch in the pump connection housing so that I can switch the pump off whilst refilling the water container. I've recently noticed a slight blue coloured tracking mark between the van connector electrical contacts. This will have been caused by a minute 'leakage' current between the two terminals that have been permanently energised. I intend in the future (but haven't remembered yet) to leave the selection to internal when at home and then switch to both for the duration of any trip.

Water Quality

This is very much a matter of personal preference.

Over the years we have always been happy to drink water from the tank and have never suffered any problems with taste or illness. That said in the last three vans we have had a filter installed in the cold water connection to the kitchen cold tap as a 'fail safe'

Although I have travelled extensively in the UK and Europe I only use 'camping' designated taps for the water, I have a 'fresh water only' container and a 'blue' hose. We do use the van throughout the year so its never more than three or four weeks between the system being cycled but if the van is not going to be used for a couple of weeks I drain the fresh water and leave the drain tap and all internal taps open so apart from the inevitable 'low' points in the pipework the system is dry. When the van is being used, the target is to have a full tank as much as possible. Basically what I think I am achieving is to not allow water to stagnate or for bacteria to grow in the damp environment of a partially filled tank.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Peter,
Interesting points.
I had tried setting the pump to external rather than the 1 min. refill option and it did not work (i.e. no power to the water inlet terminals).
Having now read you post I have just tried again and find it works but only if you have the 'tap on' pressed on the control unit also.
I to have modified my external pump lead to include an on/off rocker switch, so the external pump option shall be the one for me from now on.

Re water filtration. As I said, we take our domestic jug and a few spare Tesco filters which we change every couple of weeks.
I would be interested to know where you got the in-line filter and how often you have to clean/change that?
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:42 pm

We were on CC site at Tewkesbury last week and noticed a new Nuevo at the motorhome service point filling up with water, using, I assume, the Whale set-up.
The chap had gone into his van and sat down for a cuppa while it was filling.

In the time it took him to fill up, I'd walked over to the nearest tap with my watering can a few times and put enough into our tank to last us 4 days.

Progress? confused3
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Regarding fill times and the water pump not seeming to prime the system (ie no water from taps) I encountered a problem last year just after we got our new Motorhome, The water system was drained and as we were about to set of the next day I connected up our whale system and began filling the water tank. Once the tank had filled rightly i proceeded to get water up to the taps, doing the hot water first and turned the tap on, the pump was whirring away for a couple of mins and no water hmmmmmmm problem, tried a few things but to cut a long story short, our pump was working ie spinning but even though it was new it was weak and not capable of pumping the head of water from the tank to the tap outlet. So one to watch out for is a pump that still sounds like its working but weak and cant pump the water through the taps. up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Post by Driftwood6 Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:37 pm

inspiredron wrote:Just to get some balance in this thread:

When we ordered our new Lancashire I was very concerned about the Whale water filling arrangements. Having used it this season I really like it. The only downside is that when you drive to the tap the habitation electrics are switched of automatically. The Whale filler won't allow water in unless it is powered so you have to remember to turn on the habitation electrics again once the engine is off. The first time we tried to fill the water at a site in Luxembourg it took us half an hour before we realised what was wrong!
We were supplied with a small pump on an alternative hose and that will pump 10 litres in from a bucket or jerry can extremely quickly if you can't easily get to the tap.
So my verdict is a 10/10 for the Whale system. It works for me. And both the cassette hose and the pump version pop easily in the bucket for storage.  I found a great bucket that just fits the outside wet locker in Poundland.
I totally agree, I have an easy to store 10 litre container with a lid (£6 at a show) which I use which I use with the external pump when on rally sites etc. I would not be without it now and it is definitely more hygienic than using an open watering can with a conventional filler. I have seen Nuevos with both systems, albeit on opposite sides of the van. Also if on a French aire where there is a conventional fixed hose (or using a small length of my own hose) I run the water straight into the container at the same time as using the pump to take it from the container to the van. It is just a matter of filling the container at roughly the same speed as the pump. Speed of filling has never been a problem for me but I know it is for some people. I hope AS do not remove this system as I consider it superior to a conventional filler although having both would be ideal.
Driftwood6
Driftwood6

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : 2014 Nuveo EK
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:48 pm

Driftwood6 wrote:
Also if on a French aire where there is a conventional fixed hose (or using a small length of my own hose) I run the water straight into the container at the same time as using the pump to take it from the container to the van. It is just a matter of filling the container at roughly the same speed as the pump.

No offence meant, but at risk of sounding as if I'm taking the wee wee, I find this quite risible.

With a standard Fiamma filler you put the hose straight in the hole. No faffing around with containers, submersible pumps and adjusting the fill rate.

I'll cheerfully admit that the Whale systems work, and work very well - but personally I don't go on holiday to faff around with water containers, trolleys, pumps, twiddling taps to regulate flow, moving the van to fill with water etc..

I begin to think a lot of A/S owners are either masochists or closet caravanners! lol4

Dave

P.S. Each to his own of course, but watching someone fill with a Whale is almost as amusing as watching caravanners get set up. Having a motorhome is all about being bone idle - well, for me it is!! hugegrins
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:55 pm

Bucking the trend but I love my whale system allthumbz. I just use the hose to fill from a tap and job done. Top ups (which are rare as we drive off site quite regularly) are also easy.
Agree the 'hole' system is 'simpler' but I don't have any issues with mine. Until it goes wrong hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi, we have both conventional and whale systems on our van ,needless to say the whale has never ever been used!! Totally agree with Gromits comments!! smile!  Regards    Paul
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Driftwood6 Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:31 pm

Gromit wrote:
Driftwood6 wrote:
Also if on a French aire where there is a conventional fixed hose (or using a small length of my own hose) I run the water straight into the container at the same time as using the pump to take it from the container to the van. It is just a matter of filling the container at roughly the same speed as the pump.

No offence meant, but at risk of sounding as if I'm taking the wee wee, I find this quite risible.

With a standard Fiamma filler you put the hose straight in the hole. No faffing around with containers, submersible pumps and adjusting the fill rate.

I'll cheerfully admit that the Whale systems work, and work very well - but personally I don't go on holiday to faff around with water containers, trolleys, pumps, twiddling taps to regulate flow, moving the van to fill with water etc..

I begin to think a lot of A/S owners are either masochists or closet caravanners! lol4

Dave

P.S. Each to his own of course, but watching someone fill with a Whale is almost as amusing as watching caravanners get set up. Having a motorhome is all about being bone idle - well, for me it is!! hugegrins
I am just pointing out that the whale system does not rule out filling from a hose if you want to - i.e. there is a simple work-around. However obviously I would normally use the supplied whale hose straight into the tank. Whilst filling I can get on with doing something else rather than standing there like a bored petrol pump attendant. I don't believe I have a pressure reducer in mine, or if I have it has never caused me concern about how long it takes to fill up. Also when the tank is full it switches off automatically so I don't go through that awkward moment of either a) trying to reach the tap whilst trying to avoid getting soaked by the water still coming out of the hose  or b) having to involve a second family member to come and turn off the tap when the tank is full or c) leaving a wet mess after the water floods the area around the van or where ever else I point the hose whilst I go and turn off the tap! Just proving how there are two sides to every story. As for caravanning I gave that up in the last century and have owned from new an Eldis, a Rapido, a Hymer and an Autocruise since then and still prefer the Auto-sleeper system although I may change my mind the first time I need to buy a new pump! I admit I had to look up the meaning of risible (limited education and all that) "deserving to be laughed at, very silly or unreasonable" Now that is not very nice is it?  camper

Last edited by Driftwood6 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Driftwood6
Driftwood6

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:52 pm

I thought "risible" was a moderately reserved way of expressing disbelief at the faffing about forced upon you by that system - not a dig at you personally Driftwood. biggrin

I can see why you would do it like that, but it seems amazing to me that one has to fill up one container in order simultaneously to empty it into another container using a submersible pump. scratch head  Mr Heath Robinson would have loved it!

Just as an aside, have you ever used one of those French bornes where you put in your two euros and the water starts to flow immediately - and there isn't a tap to turn it off!! Fortunately they are not very common, but we managed to find one. Our hose wasn't even in the filler hole and the water came rushing out like a fireman's hose, snaking around and drenching me and several innocent French bystanders. Fortunately it was very hot and they saw the funny side of it, and after a rapid retreat they stood round pointing and laughing while I finally caught the hose and filled the tank.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Driftwood6 Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:35 pm

Gromit wrote:I thought "risible" was a moderately reserved way of expressing disbelief at the faffing about forced upon you by that system - not a dig at you personally Driftwood. biggrin

I can see why you would do it like that, but it seems amazing to me that one has to fill up one container in order simultaneously to empty it into another container using a submersible pump. scratch head  Mr Heath Robinson would have loved it!

Just as an aside, have you ever used one of those French bornes where you put in your two euros and the water starts to flow immediately - and there isn't a tap to turn it off!! Fortunately they are not very common, but we managed to find one. Our hose wasn't even in the filler hole and the water came rushing out like a fireman's hose, snaking around and drenching me and several innocent French bystanders. Fortunately it was very hot and they saw the funny side of it, and after a rapid retreat they stood round pointing and laughing while I finally caught the hose and filled the tank.

Dave
Hee Hee. Yes I have used them but of course with the whale system you don't get wet!!! I should add that as case 'D" on my list above.  rainyday
Driftwood6
Driftwood6

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3