The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 Data sim price drop

+6
Askit
rgermain
Sally
Mike187
FreelanderUK
TeamRienza
10 posters

Go down

3 Data sim price drop Empty 3 Data sim price drop

Post by TeamRienza Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:08 pm

The 3 DATA sim 24gb valid for 24 months is currently £37.79 (usually £45) offer usually only lasts for a day or so.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

rgermain, Sally and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

3 Data sim price drop Empty Re: 3 Data sim price drop

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:37 pm

We’re is this offered at that price please

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:39 pm

Amazon.
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:39 pm

Cheers ,will order now ,thanks

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:12 pm

Well spotted, thanks.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:57 pm

TeamRienza wrote:The 3 DATA sim 24gb valid for 24 months is currently £37.79 (usually £45) offer usually only lasts for a day or so.

Davy
When using this card is there a way of determining how much data is left on it?  Also, will it work in a spare smart phone with a hotspot to the firestick, or does it need a mi-fI or similar?

Many thanks
Sally
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:24 pm

As far as I know it works in any unlocked 3G or 4G tablet, dongle or Mobile Wi-Fi device, so it says on the packet. Mine is in a Mi-Fi. It will not work in a phone, I think.

You can check usage by logging into your Three.co.uk account, easy to set up, just need your sim number.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:27 pm

rgermain wrote:As far as I know it works in any unlocked 3G or 4G tablet, dongle or Mobile Wi-Fi device, so it says on the packet. Mine is in a Mi-Fi. It will not work in a phone, I think.

You can check usage by logging into your Three.co.uk account, easy to set up, just need your sim number.
----------
Richard
Thank you for your help. I’ll give it a miss for now as I currently only have a mobile phone available. 

Many thanks
Sally
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:28 pm

Our Huawei mi-fi it tells you the data usage and there is an app for your phone or tablet to control the mi-fi that also gives that information, and I think you can create an account with 3 that will track usage, I don’t as it cheaper to get a new sim than top one up with data once the preloaded data has run out.

As for use in a phone, I don’t know but would guess it would, we have an old iPhone 5 somewhere, if nobody can answer that I will see if I can find it and give it try.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:38 pm

Mike187 wrote:Our Huawei mi-fi it tells you the data usage and there is an app for your phone or tablet to control the mi-fi that also gives that information, and I think you can create an account with 3 that will track usage, I don’t as it cheaper to get a new sim than top one up with data once the preloaded data has run out.

As for use in a phone, I don’t know but would guess it would, we have an old iPhone 5 somewhere, if nobody can answer that I will see if I can find it and give it try.

Mike
Interestingly it was my old iPhone 5 I was thinking of using it with.  smile!
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:01 pm

A google search confirms a data sim will work in a phone to be used as a hotspot. 
Just tried in my iPhone 6 and it is receiving data, although I have noticed I a stronger reception on the mi-fi than on my phone which also on the 3 system.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:05 pm

Mike187 wrote:A google search confirms a data sim will work in a phone to be used as a hotspot. 
Just tried in my iPhone 6 and it is receiving data, although I have noticed I a stronger reception on the mi-fi than on my phone which also on the 3 system.

Mike
That’s great thank you.  I started to look at mifi and to say there is a mind boggling choice is an understatement of epic proportions  hugegrins
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:18 am

Sally wrote:
Mike187 wrote:A google search confirms a data sim will work in a phone to be used as a hotspot. 

Mike
That’s great thank you.  I started to look at mifi and to say there is a mind boggling choice is an understatement of epic proportions  hugegrins

For what it's worth, I've been using the 3 data sim with a TP-link M7350 for about 4 years now and it has performed well.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

rgermain and Sally like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:31 pm

Many thanks for the tip-off, TeamRienza / Davy. I've just ordered one.  Excellent price.

Don't propose to start using it for a few months, from which date the 24 months' validity will then start to run.

That'll give me 2 years' of wifi which I can use wherever - much cheaper than 2 x annual subscriptions to CAMC wifi (which is, of course, limited to CAMC sites so no use on day trips). The data allowance will be sufficient for our limited needs. And in this country I can always tether the mobile if needed.

Cymro

Last edited by Cymro on Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added final para)
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:54 pm

Cymro wrote:Many thanks for the tip-off, TeamRienza / Davy. I've just ordered one.  Excellent price.

Don't propose to start using it for a few months, from which date the 24 months' validity will then start to run.

That'll give me 2 years' of wifi which I can use wherever - much cheaper than 2 x annual subscriptions to CAMC wifi (which is, of course, limited to CAMC sites so no use on day trips). The data allowance will be sufficient for our limited needs. And in this country I can always tether the mobile if needed.

Cymro
I second those thanks, plus Askit et al.

I’ve ordered the SIM card, plus the TP Link M7350, plus the cable to power the firestick from the TV.  Hopefully I won’t miss another Vera, plus I’ve removed practically all cables on view apart from the small one to power the TV.

allthumbz
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:31 pm

Thanks Davy, got mine yesterday. I have used internet with legs from 3 on a Huawei E 5330 abroad for the last four years, with great success. Usage starts from the first day of use.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:54 pm

My friendly Amazon driver delivered the MiFi and SIM card today. I managed to set it up at home, then tested it by connecting the home firestick to it and part watched Gardeners World. 

Everything works as it should, so I’ll be getting this into the van at the weekend. I realise that to many ‘techie’ people this is a really simple and obvious piece of kit, but to me it’s all rather clever  allthumbz
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:12 pm

Sally wrote:My friendly Amazon driver delivered the MiFi and SIM card today. I managed to set it up at home, then tested it by connecting the home firestick to it and part watched Gardeners World. 

Everything works as it should, so I’ll be getting this into the van at the weekend. I realise that to many ‘techie’ people this is a really simple and obvious piece of kit, but to me it’s all rather clever  allthumbz
You are not alone, I am confused with the firestick thingy.
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:18 pm

Glad to hear that it worked for you Sally. Just be aware that watching tv or films etc will use the allowance up quite quickly. I tend to use mine for browsing forums, newspapers, weather sites and searchforsites.co.uk etc which use data fairly sparingly.
If you find that your data is running low, then either buy another sim , don’t topup the existing one as it is expensive and only valid for 30 days, or, consider a rolling monthly contract for a Smarty sim. I have a 30gb per month £10 contract whose sim works in my mifi. They offer various deals and of course you can simply stop and start at will. This option might be worth considering for seasonal use once you see what your pattern of usage develops into.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:23 pm

An hours streaming at standard definition consumes about 700MB (0.7 GB) of data. We've just about used up our 30GB this month, a combination of abysmal weather and lack of interest on terrestrial tv.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:50 pm

rgermain wrote:
Sally wrote:My friendly Amazon driver delivered the MiFi and SIM card today. I managed to set it up at home, then tested it by connecting the home firestick to it and part watched Gardeners World. 

You are not alone, I am confused with the firestick thingy.
---------
Richard
I’m even more confused with those Ive read on here using the Amazon echo or dot in the van.  I simply can’t quite get my head around that one, other than playing amazon music on request.  But I am a girl who loves a gimmick so........ hugegrins

Davy/Peter - thank you for those figures, they’re worth knowing, both the usage and the cost.  I like a bit of telly of an evening as I’m usually on my own and I don’t like the clubhouses/group drinks etc.  I’ve got the normal telly with the spaceship aerial, plus the additional aerial I can stick on the roof, plus now this.  So that, with DVDs, should cover everything allthumbz

Last edited by Sally on Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:53 pm

Thanks to Davy in the OP for the heads up, ordered one on Tuesday and it's due here in the next 15 minutes snigger We only use the mifi/firestick combo for occasional TV watching to supplement terrestrial channels when away, it's mainly used for browsing. Surprising how many sites have Wifi available for free* (* as in "built into the pitch price"). I still have about 12gb left on my current sim with 6 months to go.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:29 pm

Very good point to take into account data usage, that bit I do understand, also DO not top up sim, buy a new one.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:01 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve ordered one which has apparently been delivered (we’re away so won5 get it until we get home in abou5 three weeks’ time). I got a couple last year under £30 but I think they’ve cottoned on now. 

Nora

Female

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down