The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2019 Nuevo LED Lighting Load Resistors

3 posters

Go down

2019 Nuevo LED Lighting Load Resistors Empty 2019 Nuevo LED Lighting Load Resistors

Post by marconi Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:11 pm

The all LED rear lighting models have 9 Resistors mounted under the chassis, rather exposed to the weather. When I first saw them I wanted to give them some protection. However I decided to give it year just to see how much spray they collected.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 

They have actually weathered rather well although they have collected a layer of deposits. Photos actually can make things look better, this is a case of that. You can still read the Values on the Resistors. Its a good thing to have the picture in the archives before they fail, covered in corrosion and you cant read them.

I have recently had a clear out in my garage and found my Correx sheet, that was my first thought as a material for a weather shield when I first saw the Resistors. It's a nice material to work with and strong enough for the job I am sure.

So I made up a shield wider than the plate that carries the Resistors, sloping so that it deflects the air flow up and over. Its open at the sides for plenty of air cooling. Some spray will probably be swirling about but some protection has got to better than none. Finally I gave the whole lot a heavy spraying of a WD40 type waterproofing protection.

marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2019

gemdeco and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

2019 Nuevo LED Lighting Load Resistors Empty Re: 2019 Nuevo LED Lighting Load Resistors

Post by gassygassy Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:01 am

Those resistors look in good condition. I had some under my 2015 Nuevo and I think possibly the wires sticking out of the actual resistors were steel. They were going rusty, and there were two resistors each side of the floor behind the rear wheels. I shielded mine with some bent aluminium. Whatever you find in the garage will be better than what A/S used: nothing.
I don't suppose they will get hot, I think they are generously rated don't you marconi? How much current does a 21W LED take? I have just replaced the reversing light bulbs on my Ford Transit with LEDs because of the tendency of the gearbox reverse switch arcing itself into oblivion. I got LED bulbs with built in resistors. I guess the resistors are there to fool the stupid computer into thinking there are actual bulbs working, instead of programming the computer sensibly to detect a LED bulb in the first place.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Back to top Go down

2019 Nuevo LED Lighting Load Resistors Empty Re: 2019 Nuevo LED Lighting Load Resistors

Post by gassygassy Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:08 am

Is there a reason why A/S don't just use LED bulbs with built in resistors? Then they wouldn't have to spend so much time and effort building sheet aluminium, fixing 9 resistors and all that extra wiring. Strange. Perhaps the LED bulbs with built in resistors overheat the plastic housings they sit in?

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:08 am

gassygassy wrote:Those resistors look in good condition. I had some under my 2015 Nuevo and I think possibly the wires sticking out of the actual resistors were steel. They were going rusty, and there were two resistors each side of the floor behind the rear wheels. I shielded mine with some bent aluminium. Whatever you find in the garage will be better than what A/S used: nothing.
I don't suppose they will get hot, I think they are generously rated don't you marconi? How much current does a 21W LED take? I have just replaced the reversing light bulbs on my Ford Transit with LEDs because of the tendency of the gearbox reverse switch arcing itself into oblivion.  I got LED bulbs with built in resistors. I guess the resistors are there to fool the stupid computer into thinking there are actual bulbs working, instead of programming the computer sensibly to detect a LED bulb in the first place.

Yes they are not bad at all. The 'van has been a good weather machine mainly though, no salt roads. The wire ends on many components are steel, probably due to the problem of welding to the resistive wire. Despite the sleeving I think it needs protection. I suspect they are a Sargent effort.

Yes they are reasonably rated, its not the current that the LED's take, the Resistors take the Current that the LED doesn't so as to fool the Computer. The dissipation of most of them is 23 Watts when ever its light is activated.

As you say, what is ridiculous is the fact that they are there at all, if the Computer detected LED bulb Current as valid there would be no need at all for them.

I am surprised you got LED Reversing Light bulbs with Resistors, the Ford doesn't need them and you would have the full advantage of a low Current non arc welding LED's without them.
marconi
marconi

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris M Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:09 pm

Having obtained a Mercedes build sheet for my Sprinter Northants 2012,I can see that the bulb failure warning has been disabled.I assume this was to allow the high front and side amber lights to be added to the circuit.
Chris M
Chris M

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Northants
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Chris M wrote:Having obtained a Mercedes build sheet for my Sprinter Northants 2012,I can see that the bulb failure warning has been disabled.I assume this was to allow the high front and side amber lights to be added to the circuit.

I have been looking to see if it is now compulsory to have these bulb failure warnings operative in the latest regulations. I can't find any references.

The Peugeot delights in telling me to 'Check Parking Lights' every so often. No need to get out and look, you just have to switch them on and back off again.

They haven't got round to detecting Lady Drivers yet and showing 'Check your Lipstick'. smile!
marconi
marconi

Male

Back to top Go down