The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interior lighting

Go down

Interior lighting Empty Interior lighting

Post by Clubman on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:27 pm

Hi, 
I have been trying to obtain a interior gold surface eyeball light with a switch. It is for my 2003 Pollensa that I have recently purchased.It slots into a recess rather than screws in. I have also tried to get it on the Internet but to no avail. I have also tried Auto sleeper direct as I live fairly local to them but they no longer stock them. Does anyone have any idea where I can find them.

Many thanks  wave
Clubman
Clubman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Interior lighting Empty Re: Interior lighting

Post by Roopert on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:39 am

Is yours completely missing, or damaged, or non-functional? The reason I ask is that it's a type of light (halogen) that would really benefit from converting to LED, because you will save a lot of power. So if you have bits that could be converted, it would be worth doing.

If you must replace with the same type then probably best to keep your eyes open for A/S models at breakers on Ebay. My late 90's Flair had one fitted, and I think they were common at the time on a few other models.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Clubman on Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:48 am

Thank you for reply. A couple have been changed to Led. I will have a look to see if I can adapt the rest to LED. I am not an electrician but I will have a go.
Thank you.
Clubman
Clubman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:10 am

If they're the same as the ones in our 2002 Pollensa, they don't need converting as such, just buy suitable G4 12V LED 'bulbs' and plug them in.  I did it several years ago.  Depending on the type you buy, you may have to snip the legs if they're too long, also I had to slightly enlarge the hole in the reflector as the bulb casing was a larger diameter, however I think they now have smaller ones.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:01 pm

rogerblack wrote:If they're the same as the ones in our 2002 Pollensa, they don't need converting as such, just buy suitable G4 12V LED 'bulbs' and plug them in.

Agreed Roger, but I was assuming that as the OP was seeking a replacement they didn't have one that was capable of just having the halogen bulb removed and replaced with an LED capsule?

I was assuming that the original was in some way damaged - but that of course is just a guess - the OP doesn't say how they came to need one. I asked the question, but they didn't answer.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Clubman on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:39 pm

Hi, 
Sorry I didn't say but the white plastic surrounding the bulb is broken so the cover does not stay in place. Presumably from what you have said I can remove the bulb part of the light and replace it with a L Ed bulb.
Clubman
Clubman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert on Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:41 pm

From memory there are a couple of different types, but yes, you should just be able to remove the halogen capsule and replace it with LED. Mine (in a 1999 van) took an MR-type reflector, but I believe a G4 capsule is more common. I think this forum's Daisy Mae reported that she needed to cut the pins down a little on hers, but otherwise they should just go straight in.

In reality you don't need to replace the clear cover, because LEDs should not get hot enough to need covering. They still get hot enough that you won't want to touch one, but they should not be hot enough to cause any serious injury (unlike a halogen bulb).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Clubman on Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:11 pm

Thank you for all your responses. I will look into replacing with L E D.
Clubman
Clubman

Male

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum