The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Check your spare!

3 posters

Go down

Check your spare! Empty Check your spare!

Post by campervanista Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:28 pm

I recently did this and the gauge , which I knew to be reliable, read zero pressure. This I did using the extension tube on the exterior of my Nuevo , located near the waste water drain. So I crawled underneath and connected the gauge directly to the tyre - same result. So there was no question that 
the fault was with the plastic extension tube, as I subsequently inflated the tyre directly and it lost no air. Sure enough, by dint of using all three hands, bubbles emerged from several places when I applied pressure from a bicycle pump to the submerged tube. Inspection revealed the likely cause to be over tight plastic ties along the tube rather than impact from stones, grit etc. The van has only done 3,000 miles from new and A/S kindly sent a replacement under guarantee. So do not forget to check your spare, if you have one. It may be wise to ignore the extension tube completely!
campervanista
campervanista

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2012

Dawstop likes this post

Back to top Go down

Check your spare! Empty Re: Check your spare!

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:57 pm

Hi
Welcome to the forum from Bridington, checked my spare last month, might be worth checking the age of your spare too.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Check your spare! Empty Re: Check your spare!

Post by Cymro Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:02 pm

Welcome, Campingvanista, and thanks for a useful alert.

I suffered a similar problem: when my van went in for its first Peugeot service, the main dealer checked the pressure in the spare. (I knew that it was 75psi the day before it went in.) A few days later I did my normal check - using the side-of-van valve. Tyre flat. Crawled under and discovered the problem: mechanic had damaged the remote connecting pipe, probably being unfamiliar with autosleepers' modification.

Couldn't prove it, of course and couldn't face hassle of arguing. Had to get new extension pipework from AS. Cost me something like £25.
These days I instruct them in wrting not to check, or adjust, any tyre pressures - they always used to inflate from those pressures which I have decided upon.

Shall look at cable ties on my pipework ... after the day-long deluge ends!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down