The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Faded gel coat

Go down

Faded gel coat Empty Faded gel coat

Post by Tigerbadge on Tue May 19, 2020 9:42 pm

While off on furlough I decided to take on the Nuevo roof & body, the roof was the worse.
I did a bit of research as I tried meguiars polish & wouldn’t touch it.
I chose 3m medium cutting compound + wax & it worked a treat. it also cleaned up fine scratches on plastic windows.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 95
Joined : 2018-02-03
Location : Somerset
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Faded gel coat Empty Re: Faded gel coat

Post by burlingtonboaby on Sat May 30, 2020 6:13 am

Looks nice Tiger,bet your glad you don't have the ES model.   hugegrins
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 9139
Joined : 2011-11-15
Member Age : 70
Location : Bridlington
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Faded gel coat Empty Re: Faded gel coat

Post by groundhog on Sat May 30, 2020 9:51 am

This is a much discussed topic and there is some very good information on the factsheet pages.
Polish is a generic word like hoover for a vacuum cleaner. "Polish" ie a wax alone product will not as you say get rid of oxidisation. 
You have done the right thing in cutting back the surface with the 3M cutting compound but please don't think the +wax bit means more than just it has a little wax in it, there is no long term protection.
That is what the meguiars is designed for. Use any good carnauba based wax or paint sealant but even the best waxes need topping up every few months or so. Water forms beads on the surface of wax. If you are feeling lazy there are some good top up sprays out there now, very easy to use.
Finally, NEVER wash the van with washing up liquid as this is a degreaser and will just wash the wax off, use a proper car shampoo.
I will try to post a couple of pictures of different beading when I can find them.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Posts : 2755
Joined : 2011-08-01
Location : Poldarkland
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Faded gel coat Empty Re: Faded gel coat

Post by Mick C G on Sun May 31, 2020 11:31 am

That looks fantastic, I may try some on my Trophy, the roof is faded and dull. 👍😷
Mick C G
Mick C G
New Member
New Member

Male

Posts : 2
Joined : 2020-04-11
Location : Wellingborough
Auto-Sleeper : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Faded gel coat Empty Re: Faded gel coat

Post by Tigerbadge on Sun May 31, 2020 2:56 pm

groundhog wrote:This is a much discussed topic and there is some very good information on the factsheet pages.
Polish is a generic word like hoover for a vacuum cleaner. "Polish" ie a wax alone product will not as you say get rid of oxidisation. 
You have done the right thing in cutting back the surface with the 3M cutting compound but please don't think the +wax bit means more than just it has a little wax in it, there is no long term protection.
That is what the meguiars is designed for. Use any good carnauba based wax or paint sealant but even the best waxes need topping up every few months or so. Water forms beads on the surface of wax. If you are feeling lazy there are some good top up sprays out there now, very easy to use.
Finally, NEVER wash the van with washing up liquid as this is a degreaser and will just wash the wax off, use a proper car shampoo.
I will try to post a couple of pictures of different beading when I can find them.
I did go over the van with megulars polish as well, the less times I have to go up there the better😂.
I am going to treat myself to a electric mop polisher next time as it was hard work.
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 95
Joined : 2018-02-03
Location : Somerset
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Faded gel coat Empty Re: Faded gel coat

Post by Tigerbadge on Sun May 31, 2020 3:06 pm

Mick C G wrote:That looks fantastic, I may try some on my Trophy, the roof is faded and dull. 👍😷
When I first used it I thought it felt very gritty, but I soaked the sponge with water & it made it a lot easier to apply.
I borrowed a polishing mop & the made it easy.
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 95
Joined : 2018-02-03
Location : Somerset
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Faded gel coat Empty Re: Faded gel coat

Post by groundhog on Sun May 31, 2020 3:12 pm

May I suggest getting a dual action one rather than a simple rotary, yes, they are more expensive but do not overheat the paint and will not cause accidental damage. I am not alone here in using a das 6 pro, available all over but got mine from chemical guys.
It is a corded machine though and you may be thinking cordless allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Posts : 2755
Joined : 2011-08-01
Location : Poldarkland
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Faded gel coat Empty Re: Faded gel coat

Post by Eribiste on Sun May 31, 2020 5:04 pm

Another vote for the DAS 6 Pro here. The power cord needs management, but the machine does a very good job in the hands of a careful user. Never let the machine dwell anywhere and go very easy on any panel edges. Once the paint is corrected, the machine can also be used for polishing and then subsequent waxing. Make sure you use the correct pads! Red for cutting, yellow for polishing and black for waxing.
Eribiste
Eribiste
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 28
Joined : 2016-09-25
Member Age : 65
Location : Eckington, Worcestershire
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Faded gel coat Empty Re: Faded gel coat

Post by Tigerbadge on Sun May 31, 2020 7:56 pm

groundhog wrote:May I suggest getting a dual action one rather than a simple rotary, yes, they are more expensive but do not overheat the paint and will not cause accidental damage. I am not alone here in using a das 6 pro, available all over but got mine from chemical guys.
It is a corded machine though and you may be thinking cordless allthumbz
The das 6 looks a nice bit of kit, but more than I would want to spend, will keep my eye on any deals as a have a few months until I have to do it again.
Cordless would be nice but would need at least 2 battery’s to do a van😬
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 95
Joined : 2018-02-03
Location : Somerset
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Faded gel coat Empty Re: Faded gel coat

Post by kaspian on Sun May 31, 2020 8:31 pm

After a good cut and  more importantly a good wax you should not need to  cut again for years if maintained Tigerbadge. Regular washing and reapplication    of a good  wax maybe 2-3 times a year minimum should keep it looking good. I have used all the 3m products for years and while excellent would not rely solely  on cut and wax.  
      You have done the hard work without resorting to polishers etc so far I believe?   I have recently moved over to Bilt Hamber double speed wax which wins numerous awards. It is a lot cheaper than those strange brews which are infused with unobtanium and  come in a thimble sized tin costing  £500!! Seems to have great shine and staying power but is an absolute **** to apply. It is a hard paste like good old simonize but is clear on application and hard to see where you have done. Costs around £14 on Amazon with good appljcator/removing cloths too.  Wear sunglasses on  application  in this weather or risk going snowblind !
avatar
kaspian
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 1244
Joined : 2015-09-27
Member Age : 60
Location : ayrshire - Burns country
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Faded gel coat Empty Re: Faded gel coat

Post by Tigerbadge on Sun May 31, 2020 10:23 pm

kaspian wrote:After a good cut and  more importantly a good wax you should not need to  cut again for years if maintained Tigerbadge. Regular washing and reapplication    of a good  wax maybe 2-3 times a year minimum should keep it looking good. I have used all the 3m products for years and while excellent would not rely solely  on cut and wax.  
      You have done the hard work without resorting to polishers etc so far I believe?   I have recently moved over to Bilt Hamber double speed wax which wins numerous awards. It is a lot cheaper than those strange brews which are infused with unobtanium and  come in a thimble sized tin costing  £500!! Seems to have great shine and staying power but is an absolute **** to apply. It is a hard paste like good old simonize but is clear on application and hard to see where you have done. Costs around £14 on Amazon with good appljcator/removing cloths too.  Wear sunglasses on  application  in this weather or risk going snowblind !
Thanks kaspian, I will give the Bill Hamber a try as my 2 polish’s weren’t cheap👍
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 95
Joined : 2018-02-03
Location : Somerset
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Faded gel coat Empty Re: Faded gel coat

Post by kaspian on Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:14 pm

No problem there really is a load of 'guff'  spoken on various forums regarding waxes and most are stupidly priced. I used to favour max wax , a previous award winner. Bought up 6 bottles in a co- op store years ago at £1.50 each in a clearance bin. It went on a dream and a casual flick of a duster removed it leaving a great shine which lasted a good 5 months of constant winter rains.  Of course when it ran out I bought a new bottle of the now improved formula and it was rubbish ! Read the labels many wax polishes contain a cutting compound and fillers to remove lightly oxidised paint and fill light scratches. After doing the hard work you want a good wax not a polish.  up!
avatar
kaspian
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 1244
Joined : 2015-09-27
Member Age : 60
Location : ayrshire - Burns country
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum