Peugeot Autosleeper Kemerton Battery charge

Go down

Peugeot Autosleeper Kemerton Battery charge Empty Peugeot Autosleeper Kemerton Battery charge

Post by keithc on Fri May 01, 2020 10:59 am

Hi all, given the likely continuing Covid 19 restrictions I am considering using the SORN off road registering for my camper van. 
I only ran my van at present every 3-4 weeks to keep the batteries charged.
I connect to the mains at home to keep the leisure one charged but when I purchased this vehicle at "hand over" I believe I was told "connecting to the mains does not charge 
the vehicle battery", "best to run it every few weeks in the winter" . 
The EC unit does obviously allow me to select either Leisure or Vehicle battery so I find this moment (if I understood it correctly) surprising.

As I am not "electrical" in any way, so I don't know if connecting a battery charger to the vehicle battery will be an option?

Seams a pity to be paying road vehicle licensing just to keep the vehicle battery charged.

If anybody can help it would be much appreciated.

The van is a 2012 Registered vehicle.
keithc
keithc

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Boxer
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Autosleeper Kemerton Battery charge Empty Re: Peugeot Autosleeper Kemerton Battery charge

Post by kaspian on Fri May 01, 2020 11:50 am

Funny, our 2014 Kemerton had the option of switching to the vehicle battery on the control panel above entrance door. Using hook up and charger then charged this battery, If earlier Vans are different then disconnect battery under floor and connect a charger to maintain the vehicle,e battery as you suggest.
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Autosleeper Kemerton Battery charge Empty Re: Peugeot Autosleeper Kemerton Battery charge

Post by burlingtonboaby on Fri May 01, 2020 12:48 pm

What van do you have Keith? As Kaspian says. All vans have different charging methods.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by keithc on Fri May 01, 2020 1:00 pm

Hi, it a 2012 year, Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper "Kemerton".
keithc
keithc

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Fri May 01, 2020 1:16 pm

IF the electrical system is original, connect to EHU, switch power unit AND control panel on and if you select leisure battery the load and charger are connected to that battery but if you select vehicle battery the load and charger change to be connected to that.

Whilst the van is in storage and not used, I recommend switch on and charge leisure battery for 8 hours one day.  Next day charge vehicle battery for 8 hours.  Repeat every week.  

If you have a solar panel installed and the van is kept out of shade, then the advice may be different but doing as suggested above will do no harm.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by K & S on Fri May 01, 2020 1:26 pm

Thanks Peter, I will try this as I can’t see why this shouldn’t work.
Realised I have missed SORN for the month of May so will see where we stand on Covid 19 by then.
Of all the activities camping etc should be one of the easiest to keep social distance on, but we will see.
K & S
K & S

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian on Fri May 01, 2020 2:03 pm

Keith just checked some old photos and our control panel was the type Ec50/51.  Top left button turned panel on/off To the right of that are the 2 buttons with a battery symbol one marked V , vehicle and the other L leisure selecting either uses that battery for the workings of the van.If connected to hook up 240v and  charger switched on etc charge is directed to the battery selected on the control panel as Peter said..  
         If you Google ec155 and ec50 or 51 you will see pictures to verify if this is the same panel that was fitted to our Kemerton. I cant see yours being different as we looked at a 2012 Sussex eb ( same van)  and it had the same set up.
  It was a foolproof set up and if you don't have trackers or some fancy alarm fitted drawing power you should be able to leave your van a couple of months easily with everything switched off without issue.
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by K & S on Fri May 01, 2020 4:11 pm

Thanks again, mine is the same EC unit you describe so this should work ok. 
The only issue at present might be my wife is using the fridge at present on the van so if I select and charge the vehicle battery, not sure if this will be an issue, but either way best option, pity I have missed the May SORN.
Let’s hope at the end of the month it’s all academic and that in June we are back on the road again.
Kind Regards Keith
K & S
K & S

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Fri May 01, 2020 4:35 pm

The fridge should be working from 230v so what you do with 12v system will have no impact.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by keithc on Fri May 01, 2020 4:53 pm

Thanks, just tried this and fridge is working.
Have just SORN the vehicle using the V5C so should get some tax back.
keithc
keithc

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB on Fri May 01, 2020 6:44 pm

Hi Keith. Also SORN my van. Good advice provided by Peter and Kaspian on maintaining your batteries. I have also a Kemerton and have on a number of occasions relied on their knowledgeable advice with gratitude and appreciation. My van is in storage without access to an electrical supply or the ability to take it out for the occasional run. The storage site is in total lock-down. However, last year I fitted a 100w solar panel and will expect both batteries to remain fully charged in my long absence.

PS This topic is in the wrong section of the forum.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum