The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

reporters

+15
Mike187
chrisvesey
nuevoboy
peugeotboxer
bikeralw
Paulmold
SteveUK
steamdrivenandy
roli
Bobskate
Peatlander 2
Gromit
rogerblack
babian
groundhog
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

reporters - Page 2 Empty Re: reporters

Post by Mike187 Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:30 pm

Because they release the text or outline beforehand for that very purpose so that their message gets reinforced before and after their speech, it’s called controlling the news. After all they don’t want the journalists speculating something completely different, need to try to keep them on message.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:02 pm

That annoys me too!  It's pandering to the laziness of the 'journalists' issuing advance copies of speeches - they should put an embargo on them being reported before the event.  I was particularly annoyed when it was done with the recent Queen's speech - I had to switch the TV off, as that awful man Witchell was blabbing all the main contents in advance.  I'd prefer to wait and hear it from Her Majesty, thank you very much!

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:27 pm

Roger I agree completely about the Queen’s speech. Why is it necessary to say what she is going to say. Do you recall what Prince Charles was overheard to say about Nicholas Witchel some years ago......”That odious little man” 😂😂
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:43 pm

He's probably a lot less odious than some of the characters chasing Harry and Meghan from pillar to post.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:36 pm

I may have missed it, but am very disappointed to not have seen any challenge to the "target" of 100K tests daily.  I can just see, as anyone who has had a "management" role, the discussion at a meeting a few weeks ago about testing.

"How many tests do we need?"
"Probably about a million per day Minister"
"Bu%%er!  We will never get to that figure.  How many will we be able to deliver in two weeks?"
"About 100,00 Minister"
"OK - that's the target then."

So, why have no "reporters" tried to get the detail of where that "target" figure came from?  And, indeed, what is the actual number that is really needed?
SteveUK
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:30 pm

I enjoyed Matt Hancock's response to the nauseous Robert Peston tonight.

Peston asked if the £60,000 assurance given to the family of any NHS worker who dies of Covid during active duty would preclude them from sueing the NHS for negligence.

Hancock replied "No!" . . . and went on to the next questioner.

Trouble is, Peston is too thick to realised he was put down so beautifully!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:53 pm

Not that I have any time for Peston but I think you credit Hancock - up with too much intelligence , most times seems to look like a rabbit caught in headlights!
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:49 pm

You are right kaspian. Fancy only having  a BA in Philosophy, Politics and Economics and a Cambridge MPhil degree in economics. Then to get the cruddy job as Chief adviser to the Chancellor, what a thicko!

Hang on a second BA in Philosophy, Politics and Economics .... isn't that PPE!!!! hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:00 am

Turned BBC breakfast off in disgust this morning. A ladies 96 year old grandmother had sadly passed with Covid and the reporter asked "Who do you blame for your grandmother's death". The lady replied "Not the nursing home, definitely the Government for not having the lockdown sooner".

In the same interview a Nursing Home representative was complaining about the initial lack of PPE although they had plenty now, in the next sentence she complained about having to wear PPE and how the sense of touch was lost in the final hours of someone passing.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:00 pm

Yep Hog they all have a string of qualifications from Oxford or Cambridge usually but none of them incorporating even an O level  standard grade  in  common sense.  I detest Piers Morgan but have enjoyed him demolishing each new government  victim every morning for the past couple of weeks. As they say fail to prepare, prepare to fail, they go in unprepared each morning  and get a new one torn  for them by Mr Morgan.  hugegrins
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:34 pm

ka04.28.2spian wrote:Yep Hog they all have a string of qualifications from Oxford or Cambridge usually but none of them incorporating even an O level  standard grade  in  common sense.  I detest Piers Morgan but have enjoyed him demolishing each new government  victim every morning for the past couple of weeks. As they say fail to prepare, prepare to fail, they go in unprepared each morning  and get a new one torn  for them by Mr Morgan.  hugegrins
You are not wrong there practicality doesn't come as standard😊
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:38 pm

After just  watching Panorama on the NHS /PPE  scandal , heads should roll at the top. In wartime some were shot for less... If anything reporters are too soft with ministers and should be asking the questions any normal member of the public would love to ask. You know the ones that make them squirm and sweat buckets ruining their Armani suits!
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Why did the reporter at Captain Tom's flypast not shut up so we could enjoy the glorious sound of the Spitfire and Hurricane instead of his babbling stupid questions censored! ....
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:55 pm

Because he's a  censored! ing stupid reporter!

Nothing quite like the sound of a Spit as it goes away into the distance. 

Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Fri May 01, 2020 8:22 am

Gromit wrote:Because he's a  censored! ing stupid reporter!

Nothing quite like the sound of a Spit as it goes away into the distance. 

Am I being ironic or did anyone else notice the location of this airshow?!! Fabulous sound wherever. Once whilst at work, we had free 'grandstand' seats when a Spitfire 'beat up' Southampton Water at low level to commemorate an anniversary of the Supermarine factory at Woolston. Never to be forgotten!
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Fri May 01, 2020 9:45 am

I think I’ll have to watch the 1969 Battle of Britain film over the weekend as you can’t get enough of the wonderful sound af that RR Merlin engine.

Doubt I’ll get the chance to visit either Cosford or Duxford for a while yet.

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Tue May 05, 2020 6:19 am

breaking news on BBC ( as predicted ) website this morning
New car sales fall by 97% in April !!!
then they go on to "explain" in a lengthy article why ??
Should fill some space on the 6 O'clock news tonight.
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Tue May 05, 2020 7:22 am

I'm not sure about that Babian. I am currently toying with the idea of changing car and have several makes/specific  models in mind. Several large dealers although closed are allowing you to reserve a vehicle for a fee. It is surprising/frustrating  just how many of the vehicles I am interested in have been reserved over the last few weeks!  I am old school , I like to see what I am buying before handing over the cash! 
       As far as reporters go I agree that stupid ineffectual questions are pointless and frustrating for the viewer . Problem is few journalists are willing to  ask ministers the real probing awkward questions that expose how  clueless a bunch of public schoolboys, devoid of common sense, they really are!  Whistle1
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue May 05, 2020 9:14 pm

A little girl at the zoo ran over to the lion's cage and suddenly the lion grabs her by the collar!
A biker seeing what happened jumps off his Harley runs across and firmly punches the lion on the nose, dragging the little girl to safety.
A nearby reporter saw the whole thing he said to the biker " That was incredible, you are a hero, tell me about yourself"
"It was nothing says the biker, I am an army veteran, anyone would have done the same thing"
"Well it is your lucky day I am a reporter and will make sure everyone knows about you"
The next day the headlines appeared.

UK veteran assaults African and steals his lunch 

And that says it all really! allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon May 25, 2020 9:26 am

The current hot topic regarding the political figure who may have done wrong just typifies what a terribly low point we have reached with the press and social media vs the story. I watched the BBC news last night and nearly the entire programme was dedicated to the issue, this morning I turned on BBC breakfast and it was the same again, frustrated and vowing never to watch the BBC again I turned to ITV and guess what they were talking about, in lengthy opinionated discussion.

Yes it is a relevant topic, whatever your views on the matter, but the power of the press and social media have now become overwhelming and in this case it is now a power struggle between the media and number 10, not a report about the actual event.Interviewers no longer interview they just bring in "experts" who simply have their own opinions right or wrong. 

I have had enough, from now on I will not be turning on breakfast TV for the news or making a point of watching the evening news, I will continue never to buy a newspaper. I will select the bits I want to see on the net and that is it.

Sad state of affairs
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Mon May 25, 2020 10:48 am

Why is everyone getting so worked up, I have been around for a long time now and over the years, have seen many changes in peoples attitudes. Confrontational comes to mind, intolerance, aggression, certainly bad manners and greed  Is life all about scoring points over someone else, I don't think so. Remember your blood pressure.

Like hog, after these sad times I will not resume buying a newspaper, I will watch the news but only once in a day, this should be more than I can cope with.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2