The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sorn motorhome

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by Paulmold on Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:14 pm

See Roger G post in 'vehicle not used for long period' thread.

_________________
If life just doesn't add up, start subtracting
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 17091
Joined : 2011-02-21
Member Age : 69
Location : North East Wales
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by Paramedic on Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:10 pm

Currently, paying van vehicle tax by monthly direct debit. Tried to contact DVLA via phone and got never-ending recorder messages despite repeatedly selecting option 4. Obviously as I haven't paid for the whole year in advance, I'm not expecting any refund but if SORNED, not wise as to how the D/Debit is recognised and subsequently acted upon in this instance. So might just do it and see what transpires as only three days before end of month. shrugg

_________________
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king
Paramedic
Paramedic
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 1816
Joined : 2016-01-27
Member Age : 73
Location : Chichester West Sussex
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by burlingtonboaby on Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:35 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:As supermarket deliveries are impossible to get around here, I intend to use the van to go and get an order from a "click and collect" slot, maybe go for SORN later.
Boaby
Wife hasn't managed to locate or book a slot yet.    shrugg   May have to travel down to Beverly or Hull, may have to open the tinned Haggis yet.   good2
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 9105
Joined : 2011-11-15
Member Age : 70
Location : Bridlington
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by Paramedic on Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:42 pm

Paramedic wrote:Currently, paying van vehicle tax by monthly direct debit. Tried to contact DVLA via phone and got never-ending recorder messages despite repeatedly selecting option 4. Obviously as I haven't paid for the whole year in advance, I'm not expecting any refund but if SORNED, not wise as to how the D/Debit is recognised and subsequently acted upon in this instance. So might just do it and see what transpires as only three days before end of month. shrugg
Just received the answer to my query with question on line, GOV into stated DVLA will simply cancel D/Debit.  smile!

_________________
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king
Paramedic
Paramedic
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 1816
Joined : 2016-01-27
Member Age : 73
Location : Chichester West Sussex
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:49 pm

Paramedic wrote:
Paramedic wrote:Currently, paying van vehicle tax by monthly direct debit. Tried to contact DVLA via phone and got never-ending recorder messages despite repeatedly selecting option 4. Obviously as I haven't paid for the whole year in advance, I'm not expecting any refund but if SORNED, not wise as to how the D/Debit is recognised and subsequently acted upon in this instance. So might just do it and see what transpires as only three days before end of month. shrugg
Just received the answer to my query with question on line, GOV into stated DVLA will simply cancel D/Debit.  smile!

Was just going to post this for you. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

_________________
Peter L
PLOUGHLIN
PLOUGHLIN
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 3387
Joined : 2014-06-24
Member Age : 50
Location : NORTH HERTS
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by bertb on Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:14 pm

Following this thread.
Re Insurance. A company saying that the cover continues, except when on the road, is fine for them.
But surely the risk for them is practically zero so I will be looking for a reduced premium while SORN'd.
What risk is the insurer exposed to?
At worst, damage to the van on the drive maybe. And the excess will cover that.
bertb
bertb
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 376
Joined : 2011-06-28
Member Age : 78
Location : E Midlands
Auto-Sleeper : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by Paulmold on Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:22 pm

I repeat ......

See Roger G post in 'vehicle not used for long period' thread.

_________________
If life just doesn't add up, start subtracting
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 17091
Joined : 2011-02-21
Member Age : 69
Location : North East Wales
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by Paramedic on Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:30 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:
Was just going to post this for you. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thank you for the info as your offer to help, my regards.

_________________
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king
Paramedic
Paramedic
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 1816
Joined : 2016-01-27
Member Age : 73
Location : Chichester West Sussex
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by bertb on Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:36 pm

Found it. Thank you. Sorry
bertb
bertb
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 376
Joined : 2011-06-28
Member Age : 78
Location : E Midlands
Auto-Sleeper : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by Wizard on Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:16 pm

Leaving a vehicle idle for six months, just after it's been idle for six months and just before it is idle for six more months is not a good idea. Particularly if it's stored outdoors. I appreciate we can't really drive them anywhere other than the supermarket or up and down your street but expect seized brakes, perished pipes etc through lack of use. Potentially costing more than the saving made on road tax.
Wizard
Wizard
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 78
Joined : 2018-03-28
Location : Bath
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by gassygassy on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:13 pm

You don't need to insure it either, when the current policy expires. I have several vehicles SORNd and not insured. It's my risk, it isn't compulsory to insure a vehicle that is on private property. I reckon that not only is the chancellor going to get considerably reduced road fund licence payments but the insurance companies are going to lose quite a lot of business as well.
I also wonder how many motorhome dealers will go bust. They are all closed and stocked up with millions of pounds worth of stock they can't sell. Though I would imagine it would be possible if I were to contact one and get a professional delivery driver with trade plates, that they could deliver it to my house. Not that I could then drive it anywhere so there's no point. I have read that there are Police stopping motorhomes and instructing them to drive home immediately and not use the vehicle, unless of course the driver can show he is doing it in the course of his necessary work. I used lots of motorhomes when I was doing contract work around the country, getting paid £35 a night for staying off road in laybys etc, and sometimes even on camp sites in winter.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 350
Joined : 2019-06-21
Location : Lutterworth
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by bikeralw on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:35 pm

I also once went down the road of not insuring a vehicle. When I came to re-insure it again I found they wouldn't reinstate my NCD.
Regarding leaving vehicles untouched for perhaps two winter, a friend in Corby lives close to one of those vast compounds full of new cars and panel vans, he tells me some sit there for two or three years before being transported away and sold as new.
Al
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 2535
Joined : 2013-04-22
Member Age : 69
Location : High Peak & New Zealand.
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by Wizard on Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:30 pm

Leaving a 15 year old van standing for 18 months is asking for trouble. The rear drums on Boxers have problems from lack of use anyway, let alone no use at all.

There are definitely going to be motorhome dealers and manufacturers going bust and I imagine any highly leveraged campsites too. Both industries have basically got to survive 18 months with very little income
Wizard
Wizard
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 78
Joined : 2018-03-28
Location : Bath
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by gassygassy on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:31 pm

I guess when we are allowed out again, we won't be allowed to cross the channel. Suppose the French open their roads to civilians, I doubt that they would welcome us at the same time, even if we were allowed to use our motorhomes.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 350
Joined : 2019-06-21
Location : Lutterworth
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by inspiredron on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:02 pm

Paulmold wrote:You get each unused month refunded (takes 4/5 weeks for cheque to arrive).
When I SORNed in November I had the cheque within a week. They are much quicker than they used to be. Just a shame they won't do a BACS.

_________________
Best wishes - Ron
inspiredron
inspiredron
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 2526
Joined : 2012-06-02
Member Age : 79
Location : Carshalton
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by rgermain on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:08 pm

inspiredron wrote:
Paulmold wrote:You get each unused month refunded (takes 4/5 weeks for cheque to arrive).
When I SORNed in November I had the cheque within a week. They are much quicker than they used to be. Just a shame they won't do a BACS.
Yes I have thought they could pay a refund to the card you paid with, like shops do. I suppose it is because they are the  Government!
---------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 1675
Joined : 2013-11-21
Member Age : 73
Location : Havant
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by gassygassy on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:11 pm

Good point Ron - as what is left of the banks are closed . . . .Our only remaining bank is closed with a CV sign saying that the nearest bank is in Rugby 11 miles away so when you get there, dodging the traffic Police, there is a sign saying 'Open 10am to 2pm for urgent bank business only' and I don't suppose for one minute that depositing a cheque constitutes 'urgent'
. . . . though I do believe that somewhere I saw it is possible to deposit cheques on line. I think the way is that you scan the cheque, go to your on line bank account, go to the 'deposit a cheque' feature where you can attach an image of the cheque and it will be credited to your account by the Gnomes of Zurich fairies at midnight when no one is watching. Or something like that, it's all majik.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 350
Joined : 2019-06-21
Location : Lutterworth
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:52 pm

rgermain wrote:
inspiredron wrote:
Paulmold wrote:You get each unused month refunded (takes 4/5 weeks for cheque to arrive).
When I SORNed in November I had the cheque within a week. They are much quicker than they used to be. Just a shame they won't do a BACS.
Yes I have thought they could pay a refund to the card you paid with, like shops do. I suppose it is because they are the  Government!
---------------
Richard

Unlike many commercial places DVLA don't retain details of the card you pay on, so can't refund to it.

_________________
Peter L
PLOUGHLIN
PLOUGHLIN
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 3387
Joined : 2014-06-24
Member Age : 50
Location : NORTH HERTS
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by TeamRienza on Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:12 am

My van is 3850kg so the rate of duty is £165 (approx). That is about £14 per month. 
I decided not to sorn as I consider this to be a time when we all need to pull together.
I regard it as a monthly contribution to the increased costs of the NHS.
I suppose I am lucky in some respects to be on a company and a state pension.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 492
Joined : 2011-03-08
Member Age : 66
Location : Co. Down
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by Eltel on Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:40 am

gassygassy wrote:Good point Ron - as what is left of the banks are closed . . . .Our only remaining bank is closed with a CV sign saying that the nearest bank is in Rugby 11 miles away so when you get there, dodging the traffic Police, there is a sign saying 'Open 10am to 2pm for urgent bank business only' and I don't suppose for one minute that depositing a cheque constitutes 'urgent'
. . . . though I do believe that somewhere I saw it is possible to deposit cheques on line. I think the way is that you scan the cheque, go to your on line bank account, go to the 'deposit a cheque' feature where you can attach an image of the cheque and it will be credited to your account by the Gnomes of Zurich fairies at midnight when no one is watching. Or something like that, it's all majik.
My NW bank closed about three years ago, so its a round trip of about 12 miles.

Last week I posted a cheque to the bank with a completed paying slip as I am self isolated.

It was on my account within 48 hours 

Sorted
Eltel
Eltel
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 542
Joined : 2017-01-10
Member Age : 70
Location : North Staffs
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by rgermain on Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:31 am

gassygassy wrote:I guess when we are allowed out again, we won't be allowed to cross the channel. Suppose the French open their roads to civilians, I doubt that they would welcome us at the same time, even if we were allowed to use our motorhomes.
I hope you are wrong and why would they do such a thing, they need our money and I need to get there for many reasons.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 1675
Joined : 2013-11-21
Member Age : 73
Location : Havant
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by rgermain on Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:36 am

TeamRienza wrote:My van is 3850kg so the rate of duty is £165 (approx). That is about £14 per month. 
I decided not to sorn as I consider this to be a time when we all need to pull together.
I regard it as a monthly contribution to the increased costs of the NHS.
I suppose I am lucky in some respects to be on a company and a state pension.

Davy
Good point, I wonder if I rushed into sorn and may re tax it in 5 days after thinking about it.
------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 1675
Joined : 2013-11-21
Member Age : 73
Location : Havant
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by Beetee on Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:21 am

"I decided not to sorn as I considered this a time when we all need to pull together".

My thoughts exactly.
Beetee
Beetee
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 66
Joined : 2016-09-29
Member Age : 75
Location : Maldon Essex
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo (Lancashire)
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by gassygassy on Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:26 pm

Well I didn't mention it, but the main reason I cannot use my Nuevo is that we have my mother in law living with us. She is 95 yrs old and cannot care for herself. So we are caring for her full time and there isn't any way that we could use the camper. It is sitting on the drive all forlorn unused and under a thick waterproof cover. That is probably the same situation as it was before we bought it. It was 4 1/2 years old with 1,800 miles on the clock. I bet it stood on someone's drive or in a shed for most of those years. C'est la vie mes amis.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 350
Joined : 2019-06-21
Location : Lutterworth
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Sorn motorhome  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorn motorhome

Post by Heanorboy on Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:33 am

Spending my time in a constructive manor after deciding that I would not be sorning the van (I began to think of practical things) and in order to save the tyres did wonder about lifting the van off its wheels any comments, maybe even buy a set of scrapper wheels/tyres so spend important time looking on E-Bay. I dont think that it will get runs out of the village as its too much faffing to get it out for a 5 mile run to the next supermarket.

_________________
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, the foresight to know where you are going, and the insight to know when you have gone too far
Heanorboy
Heanorboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 737
Joined : 2016-01-31
Member Age : 70
Location : North Somerset
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum