The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shocking tv

+4
Peter Brown
bikeralw
Dbvwt
Kdc
8 posters

Go down

Shocking tv Empty Shocking tv

Post by Kdc Mon 23 Mar 2020 - 22:11

Before I start to test and rack my brain why I get a static shock from the off button on the tv in the van,has anyone else experienced a similar situation?
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Shocking tv Empty Re: Shocking tv

Post by Dbvwt Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 7:17

I used to get static shocks from loads of things when I was younger, strangely it doesn’t seem to happen these days.
Doesn’t seem to have done me any harm (although many may disagree) smile!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 8:36

I used to be much younger once!!! Static is not something I have had a problem with in the past. I know it’s more uncomfortable than harmful but as my wife is also experiencing the same I cannot help think something is amiss that needs looking into.
As we are now grounded so to speak I have an ever growing list of jobs to get done around the house and a bit of investigation into this will be one of them.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 9:11

Love the 'grounded' pun there, kind of sums up your problem..
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 9:24

I could right a book on this subject and once on a campsite in Italy I met someone who had.

Short version, your body surface has the ability to store an electric charge that can be generated in several different ways eg pulling on a sweater. When you are energised that way and part of your body approaches a grounded object the insulation of the air breaks down and you discharge through it. It does feel though that as you touch something it is giving you a shock.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 9:30

Maybe it has something to do with the clothes you are wearing, I can only wear cotton. Anything synthetic is  a no no. I used to get a nasty bump from a car door handle at one time. The problem seems to have stopped altogether now.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 10:09

As Peter said, you are more likely to be shedding static rather than getting it. I get them regularly and it most often occurs from the etal parts of the shopping trolley in the clothes section of Tesco. Why, no idea (either why it happens or why my wife gets me into the clothes section snigger). 

I served my time as an apprentice electrician so I had my fair share of 240v shocks in the early years, nothing was more designed to make sure I avoided getting them in the later ones and since.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 16:27

In the early 70's I had a 3.5 V8 Rover coupe, it had leather seats & EVERY single time I exited, there was a loud 'crack' as I locked it, I'd get zapped with static!
Night times you could actually see a static spark, it got so bad that I used to keep hold of the door frame as I got out & locked the door without letting go, I always thought it had something to do with all the nylon type clothing that was around at the time. I even fitted one of those 'earthing' straps that used to hang down from the body at the back!!
It never happens nowadays however.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Thu 26 Mar 2020 - 11:12

It's probably caused by static electricity from the friction between the clothes you are wearing and the fabric you're sitting on. As an experiment before you stand up find an exposed piece of metal to touch as you stand up or if you can reach touch the telly, you shouldn't feel anything. It makes me smile when I see bonding straps hanging from cars in an effort to dissipate static. Anyone who gets static shock when closing a car door should hold the metal lower door sill when getting out then they won't get a shock. The charge is generated by their clothing moving against the seat fabric. It's just nature releasing differential energy as it doesn't like imbalance.
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down