The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unwelcome motorhomes

+16
Quilter
Milvus
Roger G
Gromit
Dbvwt
rgermain
Lancy
pstallwood
bikeralw
RogerThat
rogerblack
Peter Brown
steamdrivenandy
burlingtonboaby
Paulmold
groundhog
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Unwelcome motorhomes Empty Unwelcome motorhomes

Post by groundhog Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 am

Reading and hearing about owners of motorhomes receiving abuse from locals as they are not welcome in Devon and Cornwall and many other parts of the Country, which of course raises a problem for those that  live in the same areas. I now stand the chance of having my pride and joy keyed if I just go down the road or having abuse hurled at me as people will assume we are visiting on holiday. Worrying isn't it look here
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Unwelcome motorhomes Empty Re: Unwelcome motorhomes

Post by Paulmold Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:57 am

Ive just read similar  happenings in North Wales holiday spots. Apparently places like Abersoch are heaving with visitors and those with second homes. Complaints that they are stripping the local shops of food having brought none with them as they 'like to help the local economy'! Then they wonder why they are getting abuse from the locals.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:31 am

Paulmold wrote:Ive just read similar  happenings in North Wales holiday spots. Apparently places like Abersoch are heaving with visitors and those with second homes. Complaints that they are stripping the local shops of food having brought none with them as they 'like to help the local economy'! Then they wonder why they are getting abuse from the locals.
Same here in Bridlington and along the coast, our local shop is empty , plenty of tourists in the area, however not sure if any complaints are directed at them.
My son reports plenty of campers in Fort William parked in in numbers in the car parks in and around town.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:33 am

CAMC have now closed all their sites. (Reported by wardens at Tewkesbury).

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:46 am

Nothing about sites shutting on the CAMC website yet Paul.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:48 am

steamdrivenandy wrote:Nothing about sites shutting on the CAMC website yet Paul.
I know, I checked but the info was posted by John Street on his AS owners group on FB and he is a warden at Tewkesbury.
Anyone who is already in transit will be allowed to stay for one night only.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:50 am

And now saying closed till the end of June
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:18 am

This may not be a Motorhome but this was seen in Bala this morning...

Unwelcome motorhomes Fb_img18

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:27 am

Looks like that's a local who has painted that on their vehicle and trailer and parked it so as to block access.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:30 pm

It's on their web site now: https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/whats-on/caravan-club-news/novel-coronavirus-advice/

No updates from CCC as yet but I expect they'll follow suit within 24hrs.
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:55 pm

All this is going to lead to more bad feeling regarding motorhomes in the future. The ones I feel for are such as Margaret who uses her van as everyday transport, who may come in for verbal abuse, or worse.
By the way, it's nice to see civilised discussions regarding the virus and action members are taking on this forum, I see lots of Facebook groups are having threads closed down by the mods as they get progressively more abusive regarding varying points of view.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:19 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:
Paulmold wrote:Ive just read similar  happenings in North Wales holiday spots. Apparently places like Abersoch are heaving with visitors and those with second homes. Complaints that they are stripping the local shops of food having brought none with them as they 'like to help the local economy'! Then they wonder why they are getting abuse from the locals.
Same here in Bridlington and along the coast, our local shop is empty , plenty of tourists in the area, however not sure if any complaints are directed at them.
My son reports plenty of campers in Fort William parked in in numbers in the car parks in and around town.
Boaby
Nicola Sturgeon has made it clear to unwanted " self insulating tourists) GO AWAY, Ferry companies have cancelled none local bookings and will turn visitors to the islands away, don't know how they will manage on Skye.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:23 pm

I wonder what sort of a welcome the locals will give the off gridders in Stonehaven .   
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:51 pm

The government says prepare to isolate for 14 days, so people buy extra, most wanting to buy three weeks supply to be on the safe side. Almost guaranteed to clear the shelves.

The government says socially distance and lots of businesses shut down. So folk think I've got free time, where can I go where there's lots of space. You can see how their minds work.

Only trouble is the food supply chain is set up to cope with a normal week and thousands of people have the same thought about getting away. All brought on by government advice and some people not thinking through their actions.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pstallwood Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:23 pm

I haven't seen anything from the CAMC but have had an email from the Camping Club to say they are closing.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancy Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:26 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51995092?fbclid=IwAR1z5JcXt3UhlIdrNC_5V8iE7q1DkbcU8O-E4GlSzxNDpA2TjvEKoZVxfjU

And so the London Lockdown measures increase....gatherings in open spaces are spoiling it for those who are just wanting to get some exercise and fresh air on their own or with their household.  
Selfish people.....and as for stockpiling... it is stopping self isolaters and the people they live with from limiting how often they have to go out for supplies. Yesterdays Briefing reinforced there is not a supply issue but they can not get it to or keep it on the shelves. So can someone please explain why I am hearing of some on line supermarkets not able to provide an order. Surely it comes straight from the distribution warehouses. .......I wonder how full peoples waste food bin will be next week.
Lancy
Lancy

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:13 pm

I suppose it comes down to where you live etc. If you have a garden you can enjoy it and do some weed removing, whereas if you live in a high rise the park is your exercise and fresh air zone. We are lucky to have a large garden and can enjoy this sunny spell.
Saying that, I do totally agree with measures in place and feel they will be tightened and enforced this week.

As to the online shopping issue, the point is they only have so many vans, pickers and although I read that drivers hours have been relaxed, they can only work so long, after all the drivers I have seen around here look old guys and I must say are working damn hard.

I can only speak for us, but we will not be throwing any food out!
------------
Richard

Last edited by rgermain on Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:13 pm

“Surely it comes straight from the distribution warehouses”

That’s a good point Lancy, I’m only familiar with how Tesco operates but that involves their .Com people picking straight from the shelves in store like the rest of us.

Last edited by Dbvwt on Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:21 pm

Waitrose comes from out local store in Waterlooville, which by the way is due to close this summer and orders moved to Havant, straight from the horses mouth as we walk the dog with a local store manager.

I am not sure how other shops work as we only use Waitrose and so far have been very pleased, ok a few items out of stock and some substituted, with higher priced items, but they did not pass on the increase, how long that will last, who knows.

Keep safe all and keep your distance.
-----------
Richard

Last edited by rgermain on Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : double text)
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:31 pm

Some use stores for home delivery and some use 'blind' supermarkets i.e warehouses.

Ocado use gigantic warehouses, some of which have automated picking. Some local vans operate from the warehouse and they also send the packed shopping out to more local hubs by HGV, and then it's put in the vans.

I don't think Sainsbury use local stores, but Waitrose do.

Not sure how Asda operate. Morrisons is linked with Ocado and use their systems and warehouses.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:09 pm

It's not a good idea to travel to isolated locations. They have limited hospital beds and if you are taken I'll whilst away you will be taking up limited resources which might not even be able to cope with the local population. It's almost as bad as the Loonies who are panic buying, people should think before they travel about the wider consequences i.e. food and medical facilities
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:29 pm

Pnefan wrote:It's not a good idea to travel to isolated locations. They have limited hospital beds and if you are taken I'll whilst away you will be taking up limited resources which might not even be able to cope with the local population. It's almost as bad as the Loonies who are panic buying, people should think before they travel about the wider consequences i.e. food and medical facilities

I'm afraid that society has bred a lot of people who can't or won't think for themselves beyond their own gratification. If you notice, everything has to be reduced to minimalistic slogans, with no depth behind them. People have grown up with that over many decades and had it pushed into them that they're entitled. For many it's hard to break that imprinting and start thinking differently about how they relate and interract.

As I've posted elsewhere, government says prepare for 14 days isolation, so people buy 3 weeks of groceries and feel they're doing what they've been told. they haven't thought through that the stores are set up for a standard week and the number of HGV's supplying those stores are set up for a normal week. You can't suddenly magic a fortnight's worth of stuff. With months of planning and extra wagons and drivers available it might be done, but this happened way too fast for such preparation.

Then the government shuts down lots of employers and the employees therefore have time off - they think 'holiday'. And the government says 'social distancing' and automatically they think 'where's lots of space'. Join up the two and you get people heading for Wales, The Highlands, Cornwall etc, not thinking of the consequences, but thinking they're doing what the government asked.

I'm not blaming the government in this, they really had no option, but maybe the messages about staying put, non-essential travel, gradually building food stocks at home etc could have had more stress.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancy Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:36 pm

rgermain wrote:I suppose it comes down to where you live etc. If you have a garden you can enjoy it and do some weed removing, whereas if you live in a high rise the park is your exercise and fresh air zone. We are lucky to have a large garden and can enjoy this sunny spell.
Saying that, I do totally agree with measures in place and feel they will be tightened and enforced this week.

As to the online shopping issue, the point is they only have so many vans, pickers and although I read that drivers hours have been relaxed, they can only work so long, after all the drivers I have seen around here look old guys and I must say are working damn hard.

I can only speak for us, but we will not be throwing any food out!
------------
Richard
I totally agree with all you said. Sorry if I came across ungrateful for what frontline people are doing. Far from it. 
It is precsiely for those with no outside homespace that I feel sorry for. We are very fortunate that we have a  garden and even more fortunate that Mr L and I are together. I can not imagine what is like for anyone to be in isolation on their own. No one to discuss with all that is happening, work out how to get supplies [we have never discussed shopping and meals so much!] and some people will be so absorbed in their own change of lifestyle that they dont think to ring and find out how their neighbour, friends,family are coping [though they will be far and few I hope] . Thank goodness for the old fashioned telephone which is vital for such people whatever age.
Maybe now public venues are closed there will be alot more folk looking or work and food distribution etc situation might improve.

Give it another week and our pantry will be much easier to give it a long awaited wash down though...we are going to give it a lick of paint while we are at it. Silver lining....

Last edited by Lancy on Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Lancy
Lancy

Female

Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:59 pm

To paraphrase (only slightly) Albert Einstein,

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human selfishness and stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger G Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:41 pm

Read a post on our local facebook page today from a refuse collector who says that they are now collecting loads of unopened veg and meat products in people's bins that have been chucked out unopened and out of date. He says that they are now above post Christmas levels and it is all things that someone else could have bought and eaten.

Roger
Roger G
Roger G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next