Bourton 2012 Over height class 3 Auotoroutes

Go down

Bourton 2012 Over height class 3 Auotoroutes Empty Bourton 2012 Over height class 3 Auotoroutes

Post by Biged on Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:07 pm

We have just returned from touring France and Spain. 

We were mostly OK but on the return things changed. We were suddenly being classified as class 3 on the auto routes. For example on our way down the Milleau viaduct was €9 on our return it changed to €30, a massive jump. On the A71 a distance of 170 miles from Clermont Ferrand a reasonable amount going down €49.50 coming back a very unreasonable amount.
We don't carry hundreds in cash and have no wish to.

Anyone else had this problem?
Biged
Biged

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Bourton 2012 Over height class 3 Auotoroutes Empty Re: Bourton 2012 Over height class 3 Auotoroutes

Post by bolero boy on Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:04 am

i didnt know french toll booths were able to measure height, perhaps they can?.....nor weight, where tolls rise when plated over 3.5t (even if actual weight is below)....or you have a tag axle van (not in this case)...
the usual process is to check the toll maching and if it says 'classe trois' (class 3) then press the button and speak nicely to the person on the other end saying 'classe deux, s'il vous plait' (class two, please) which usually prompts a change.
you don't have to carry 'hundreds in cash' you can use a card..our total french toll charge from Nantes to Irun was about €65....then toll free to Benicassim.

bolero boy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Carthago Compactline
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Bourton 2012 Over height class 3 Auotoroutes Empty Re: Bourton 2012 Over height class 3 Auotoroutes

Post by Milvus on Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:34 am

Is there anything fitted to the roof, TV Sat, storage boxes or Air con unit, that could possibly take you above 3M ? Even if there is, is there possibly some form of automated height monitor at some tolls ?

Male

Member Age : 58
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:53 pm

I'm fairly sure that French toll booths do have height measuring equipment but that wouldn't explain why Biged was charged class 2 on the outward journey and class 3 on the return - unless they had a sat dome fitted in Spain?

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:53 pm

rventhusiast wrote:I'm fairly sure that French toll booths do have height measuring equipment but that wouldn't explain why Biged was charged class 2 on the outward journey and class 3 on the return - unless they had a sat dome fitted in Spain?

David
They do.

Did he drive with his roof vent open or the TV aerial not fully lowered? I've seen both.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy on Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:05 pm

Gromit wrote:
rventhusiast wrote:I'm fairly sure that French toll booths do have height measuring equipment but that wouldn't explain why Biged was charged class 2 on the outward journey and class 3 on the return - unless they had a sat dome fitted in Spain?

David
They do.

Did he drive with his roof vent open or the TV aerial not fully lowered? I've seen both.
We have a 2019 Bourton Hi line with an O/H of 3130mm (confirmed by Willersey) the A/C, aerial etc does not exceed the height of the overcab. We have noticed on our trip to France,Spain,& Portugal last year that the tolls do have two cameras set at different heights which would give an indication of the height of the vehicle.  
allthumbz
Snowy
Snowy

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum