The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sigma EK Spare Wheel Attachment

+2
roli
nzowner
6 posters

Go down

Sigma EK Spare Wheel Attachment Empty Sigma EK Spare Wheel Attachment

Post by nzowner Fri May 18, 2012 4:41 am

It has been brought to my attention (by Marquis Motorhomes) that Peugeot has issued a product re-call notice relating to the spare wheel attachment for the Boxer used on my Sigma. However on inspection it appears that the spare wheel attachment is nothing like as described in both the base vehicle handbook and the A-S Sigma Owners Manual. Both describe some sort of ratchet system to lower and raise the spare wheel to its stowed position. There is no provision for this on my van, the wheel is simply bolted to the underside of the rear of the van's floor. I reckon it would need the strength of a gorilla on steroids to steady then lower the wheel while the bolts are removed, and two to lift the wheel into place to replace the bolts. I dread the thought of a puncture and having to use the spare without some sort of jacking arrangement. Has anyone experienced this, or any advice ? javascript:emoticonp('think_smiley_46')
nzowner
nzowner

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

Back to top Go down

Sigma EK Spare Wheel Attachment Empty Re: Sigma EK Spare Wheel Attachment

Post by roli Fri May 18, 2012 7:18 am

The ratchet system sounds like the system used on the Ford chassis for the similar van (ie Windsor)

I am uncertain of what the X250 wheel hanger is like but if anything like the Boxer ones it aint clever, you would need the help of a jack to lower the wheel safely.
What is important is the nuts are not forgotten cos if they are neglected lubrication wise it will be harder to undo the nuts than drop the cradle.
The older Transit based vans such as the Legend and some Excelsiors had a proper spare wheel carrying compartment in the rear bumper
(nb: to Executive and Talisman owners - the nuts are between the rear sill and the cradle, worth loosening, lubricating and retightening if you havnt done it for a while)
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Fri May 18, 2012 8:02 am

Hmmm, I wonder if mine is an 'oddball' unit, surly not.

Its even totally different to the one described in my handbook, however, I feel its very good & simple indeed.

A plug is removed from the dead-centre of the bumper, the wheel-brace is placed in until it meets a bolt head, as its turned it operates a steel wire on a
drum, just like a bucket in a well, the wire end has a cross-bar that goes accross the wheel centre hole & as the mechanism is lowered & raised, the wheel
'hangs' in perfect balance, VERY easy to work, & if wound out a lot more, the wheel is simply pulled out past the bumper for access, I can't think of a better
system.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Sigma EK Spare Wheel Attachment Empty Spare wheel carrier

Post by murph Fri May 18, 2012 8:58 am

Hi Nz owner,
If the mounting is the same as the one on our series 1 Lancashire (which which from your description it sounds like) this comprises a metal frame hinged at the front and secured by 2 bolts carrying hooked brackets. To remove the spare wheel you wind the bolts down until you can lift them off the hooks and then use the sissor jack via the bracket with a hole in it to lower it to the ground, reverse to replace it of course. Do ensure that the bolts are free and greased just in case you have to use it on a dark wet night, even a breakdown sevice will have trouble if it has siezed solid.

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigma Sat May 19, 2012 6:37 pm

Hi all. This is my first time post although I do look at as many motorhome forum as I can!!! I have a 2007 Sigma and have also received a recall letter from Peugeot about the spare wheel carrier. Mine is raised and lowered by a rachet system located to the right of the habitation door step. Never had to use it but did check it last year and it seemed OK There is some confusion about the problem and much has been written on other motorhome forum particularly about the Fiat version of the X250. There is a wire pulley system. I am off to France on Monday and will take it in for a check mid June. In the meantime I have put a strap under the wheel and fastened it to the chassis. The Sigma is my third Autosleeper and my wife and I have been very pleased with it. We have had for 2 1/2 years.
Sigma
Sigma

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nzowner Sat May 26, 2012 5:39 am

Thanks to all for responses. I had not realised this topic had been posted earlier under 'Peugeot recall". It appears to me now that A-S removed the wheel lowering/raising facility probably in the interests of fitting the lower skirt for styling purposes. My conclusion now is if I ever get a 'flat'---call for help!!!! Quite relaxed about this now as I recently read the results of some research which reported that 1.3 million drivers in the UK did'nt even know they had a spare tyre!
nzowner
nzowner

Back to top Go down

Sigma EK Spare Wheel Attachment Empty spare wheel

Post by shelldrake Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:48 pm

When I bought my Sigma EL 3 yrs ago it had a drop down tray for the spare wheel. I mentioned this to Marquis and they had the local dealer fit the drop down ratchet system. I work it down and up every 6 months or so and re-grease it and it works fine up! . Haven't tried changing a wheel tho!!!!!!!!!!
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

Back to top Go down