New Privacy Policy

Go down

New Privacy Policy Empty New Privacy Policy

Post by RML on Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:14 am

Hi.
I've recently experienced the new privacy policy and find it a bit of a faff. When using the web I usually disable all unnecessary spyware but find this more challenging than other sites, does it need to be this complicated, what do you all think please?
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

New Privacy Policy Empty Re: New Privacy Policy

Post by Gromit on Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:04 am

Never had a problem with this site, but generally it's a pain in the rear, specially when a big panel pops up blocking everything until you've clicked on OK . . . which allows an invasion of your privacy in any case!!

Question - Does it make any difference whether or not you click on "OK"? The targeted adverts seem to appear just as frequently either way!

And we all thought 1984 and Big Brother was science fiction!!!  shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert on Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:29 pm

Gromit wrote:
And we all thought 1984 and Big Brother was science fiction!!!

It's a fairly common comment in the information security world that we now live in a surveillance society, and that the one thing that Orwell got wrong was that it would be the State that would be doing the surveillance! But instead it's Amazon, Google, Microsoft and a whole load of others, linking together all of our actions on different sites to "profile" every one of us...

Like RML, I use an add-on to my browser (NoScript) which prevents any active content from running unless I authorise the website that it comes from - and Google, for example, is never permitted unless I can't make the page function otherwise! For the same reasons I don't use Google as my search tool.

If you don't like adverts then I can recommend using an adblocking browser add-on - I currently use uBlock Origin (in Firefox) but there are several others. IMO the advertisers deserve to be blocked. I wouldn't mind ads so much if they had not resorted to flashing objects and things moving around in the adverts - I find this too distracting when the part of the page I'm trying to read is completely static.

I have to admit that NoScript is a bit of a pain, because it regularly stops pages working properly, meaning that you have to figure out how to configure it to get it working again. The adblocker is less of an issue - in my experience it almost never causes problems.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:36 pm

Can you believe some people are still paranoid about identity cards??   rolleyes
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:35 pm

Gromit wrote:Can you believe some people are still paranoid about identity cards??   rolleyes

I concede that identity cards would probably make things a whole lot easier in some cases. But there is a whole section of society that simply won't accept it. Probably the most extreme example is the "Freemen on the Land" movement, where they choose to use two different names, and typically refuse to give their name to the police, even when require to do so in law (because they say that they don't recognise "statute" law).

It's always struck me as a strange coincidence that many "Freemen" have got themselves into debt prior to joining the movement, and that their interpretation of the movement's "laws" mean that they don't have to pay back what they owe. But I'm sure that's just a coincidence and nothing more!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by RML on Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:45 pm

Gromit wrote:Can you believe some people are still paranoid about identity cards??   rolleyes
I don't have a problem with ID cards such as those used in Europe because they're a simplified passport and would welcome their use here. I did however have a big problem with the ID cards proposed by Labour when last in office. Their proposal was to unify all government agencies on the one card, to be administered by approximately 500,000 people, none of whom of course we're criminals, and if a duplicate card was issued to a different person and used for criminal purposes how could anyone disprove their identity.
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK on Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:45 pm

Roopert wrote:

I concede that identity cards would probably make things a whole lot easier in some cases. But there is a whole section of society that simply won't accept it. Probably the most extreme example is the "Freemen on the Land" movement, where they choose to use two different names, and typically refuse to give their name to the police, even when require to do so in law (because they say that they don't recognise "statute" law).

It's always struck me as a strange coincidence that many "Freemen" have got themselves into debt prior to joining the movement, and that their interpretation of the movement's "laws" mean that they don't have to pay back what they owe. But I'm sure that's just a coincidence and nothing more!

But you've got to love 'em for the entertaining YouTube videos they post!
SteveUK
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:45 pm

On a similar topic, has anyone got one of the Amazon Alexa/Echo devices? I'm sure there are other makes, but I'm not really a tech buff.
Here at my daughter's house they have one, and although very useful, I'm convinced that this thing sits there listening to conversations.
For instance, due to being in the news recently, we were talking about the negative aspects of going on a cruise.
A few hours later when I switched on my tablet, there appeared adverts for cruises! I'd never previously searched for any cruise information...
Spooky or what.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:56 pm

Funny you should say that, in yesterday's Manchester Evening News...

https://www.facebook.com/107654667059/posts/10157241148507060/

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:06 pm

Chatting to someone in an AS van last week, he said hang on I need to switch this off - if you say 'Mercedes' an agent responds to ask what the problem is and how they may assist.

I do not want that.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Beetee on Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:40 am

Did anyone watch the TV programme "what Amazon knows about us"?   Alexa was mentioned as a possible source of information.
Beetee
Beetee

Female

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo (Lancashire)
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:59 am

Are we sure our smart phones are not listening?? It may not be only Alexa eavesdropping!!

I'm quite serious.

Friends of ours have had an exactly similar experience to BikerAl on two or three occasions, and they don't have Alexa.

I've noticed unexpected "targeted" adverts very often, but have never been able to tie them into a conversation with any certainty.

(We don't have Alexa!! At least, I don't think we do??)  think_smiley_46
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit on Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:21 pm

Gromit wrote:Are we sure our smart phones are not listening?? It may not be only Alexa eavesdropping!!

I'm quite serious.

Friends of ours have had an exactly similar experience to BikerAl on two or three occasions, and they don't have Alexa.

I've noticed unexpected "targeted" adverts very often, but have never been able to tie them into a conversation with any certainty.

(We don't have Alexa!! At least, I don't think we do??)  think_smiley_46

Something that sits in the middle of the room and has the answer to everything.........no, I don't want another one of those  think_smiley_46 snigger

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum