The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bodywork

+5
Askit
modelman
Cymro
burlingtonboaby
Ikimber
9 posters

Go down

Bodywork Empty Bodywork

Post by Ikimber Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:56 pm

I have a leak which shows itself by staining the roof lining underneath the side locker at the front of the overhead cab next to the drivers seat,hope that makes sense. It’s not coming from the front roof vent, I can only think that it’s coming in from the small tinted plastic/glass which is on the side near the front of the body. It is leaking only on the driver side.
     My question is, what are these tinted pieces and can they leak and if so how is it fixed. My van is a1996 T4 clubman. Hope someone can help thanks - Ian
Ikimber
Ikimber

Male

Auto-Sleeper : T4 clubman
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Bodywork Empty Re: Bodywork

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:52 pm

Hi Ian
Welcome to the forum from Bridlington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Ikimber Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:47 am

Hi Burlington boaby
          Hello to you to,hope someone can help me with my leak problem on this forum. I have had my van for 6 years and have travelled all around uk and parts of Europe. Sorted out all its problems over the years, but I am pulling my hair out over this one, hope these help out there somewhere.
           Thanks Ian.
Ikimber
Ikimber

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:52 am

Surprised no one has responded yet, I'm sure one of the members will help you with advice shortly.keep your chin up Ian.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:12 am

Ikimber wrote:I have a leak which shows itself by staining the roof lining underneath the side locker at the front of the overhead cab next to the drivers seat,hope that makes sense. It’s not coming from the front roof vent, I can only think that it’s coming in from the small tinted plastic/glass which is on the side near the front of the body. It is leaking only on the driver side.
     My question is, what are these tinted pieces and can they leak and if so how is it fixed. My van is a1996 T4 clubman. Hope someone can help thanks - Ian

Welcome to the Forum.

I used to have a Clubman on a VW T4, for 17 years. As far as I know, those tinted strips (from memoty, about 3" high and about 15" long) are decorative only, and are glued to the GRP monocoque. They are therefore unlikely to be the source of the leak.

As I'm sure you know, water leaks often do not make themselves apparent near the source, but are often an improbably distance away. On the Clubman, the Luton has two front-facing marker lights. The holes in which they sit may well be the source. Likewise the joint between the Luton and the cab, above the windscreen. And of course there's the front overhead window. Finally, a well-known source is the seal around the chimney, where it comes through the roof. Don't be surprised if that's the source, albeit that the evidence seems a long way from it.

All need to be checked, I'm afraid. I'd start with the chimney, and the marker lights.

Good luck!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:46 pm

I,m not absolutely sure, but my old Talisman had those slit-windows but they were 'dummies' just stuck on, as it was 2 berth only, no over-cab bed, but I always thought that if there WAS overhead beds, then the windows were 'actual' glazing that provided light into the over-cab area, & in which case, could well be a source of leakage.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Ikimber Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:30 pm

Thanks very much for all your help on leak problem, there seems to be a split as to weather these little 15 by 3 tinted pieces of glass/plastic are just stuck on or are hiding an opening for a small window each side of the overhead cab should you have a bunk up there or not, mind is only a 2 berth. It’s not coming from where the body joins the cab, because the water is sitting higher up then that. The water sitting on a thick piece of plywood which is under the bottom cupboard on the drivers side. All points to this tinted  glass. 
       Thanks again for all your help, happy I have joined the forum, I will keep you informed on my progress lan
Ikimber
Ikimber

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ikimber Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:55 pm

Hi everyone, 
             Here’s an update on the leak in my van, the water was coming in from the small tinted strips of glass (not plastic) fitted to the side of the overhead cab section. They are not for decoration, they are there to cover up a section of the bodywork which has been cut out for what ever reason, maybe as windows if there was a bunk in the overhead section as someone suggested 
             It was a comment made by someone on talking about their autosleeper on YouTube that convinced me that the strip was not just for decoration. So armed with a cheese cutter made from a guitar string I sliced the glass away from the body, all repairs done from outside the van
         Hope this may be helpful to any one who may have the same problem thanks for all your help Ian.
Ikimber
Ikimber

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:38 am

Well done Ian and thanks for coming back to let us know how you got the problem sorted  allthumbz Stick around and enjoy the forum  happyyes

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:52 pm

Askit wrote:Well done Ian and thanks for coming back to let us know how you got the problem sorted  allthumbz Stick around and enjoy the forum  happyyes

Yes +1 to that.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:21 pm

As the person who confidently asserted "As far as I know, those tinted strips (from memoty, about 3" high and about 15" long) are decorative only, and are glued to the GRP monocoque " I'm truly embarrassed!!

"As far as I know..." must now mean "I don't know what I'm taking about but I guess..."

Relieved you've sorted it Ian, with no thanks to my misleading contribution. But all along I thought they were merely decorative!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:42 pm

No need to be embarrassed Cymro,

I too was under the impression that there were 2 versions, one 'dummy' where there was only cupboards, & 'real' ones for illumination of the overhead luton.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Ikimber Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:30 pm

Thank you once again for your help, as I said the reason for saying where I found the leak was hopefully to help other people, I hope you all were not thinking that I was criticising what you said, all your help was appreciated and did allow me to eliminate where the water was not getting in, and who knows the body may have been destined to have a bunk above the cab who knows. The leaks been fixed so once again thank you all 
Ian.
Ikimber
Ikimber

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:38 am

this is a friendly site working. allthumbz

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:13 pm

Welcome to the Forum

We all live an learn, have been a fan of these vans since '96 the ones I have seen these 'windows' have all been dummies. One of the benefits of this forum
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:06 pm

This is a "very" .......friendly site working.
well done Paul for finding this post.
Any help for you IanH ??
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:25 pm

Yes thanks Ian, and had come to that conclusion but great to have it confirmed.
Still seems odd to have bothered in the first place though!!!
Thanks to all.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:33 am

Although they seem very small it would make sense that they are indeed windows for the Luton bed space. It is quite surprising how little an opening will provide significant lighting in an otherwise dark area in daylight.

It is very useful indeed to know there may be an opening under that glass strip, I had assumed that the the fibreglass would be cut out to make an opening only when required so would not have thought to check there if a leak occurred.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down