The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toping up the battery

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Toping up the battery

Post by Molly3 on Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:08 pm

Toping up the engine !battery  on 2014 nuevo  Peugeot  .looks a bit of a pain .having to remove  the clamp and  wiring  .does removing the wiring  cause any problems  or resets  on radio etc .?
Molly3
Molly3
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 320
Joined : 2017-11-06
Location : Sheffield
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by Cymro on Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:49 pm

Does it need to be topped up?  I examined mine last week: it has no unscrewable cell tops. So I sought advice, and was told that it is not possible (or necessary) to top up. It will fail in due course. I was advised to change it after about 5 years......  We'll see!
Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 2443
Joined : 2011-06-05
Location : Caerdydd - Cardiff
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by Molly3 on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:44 pm

Yes it needs toping up checked levels  .and are low .
Molly3
Molly3
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 320
Joined : 2017-11-06
Location : Sheffield
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by rgermain on Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:47 pm

Molly3 wrote:Yes it needs toping up checked levels  .and are low .

Yes but as Crymo states, how do you get the water in with no access?

I was told the same, just non service item, best to be on your guard after 5 years. Peugeot Main Agent.

I assume your battery is not like ours.
----------
Richard


Last edited by rgermain on Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing text)
rgermain
rgermain
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 2055
Joined : 2013-11-21
Member Age : 73
Location : Havant
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by glyne lock on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:19 pm

with out the correct ppe gear a battery is a high risk item to be working on .this is more the reason they say sealed for life and put a label over the caps. you can remove the label or cut  the label round the caps to check the levels. if just 1 cell is low is telling me this cell is faulty and has been gassing so the battery reqs a load test. you can do no harm by topping up all the levels. low levels is a high reason for a  battery becoming faulty.
glyne lock
glyne lock
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 576
Joined : 2019-10-18
Location : taunton
Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by Molly3 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:58 am

rgermain wrote:
Molly3 wrote:Yes it needs toping up checked levels  .and are low .

Yes but as Crymo states, how do you get the water in with no access?

I was told the same, just non service item, best to be on your guard after 5 years. Peugeot Main Agent.

I assume your battery is not like ours.
----------
Richard
By unscrewing the filler caps
Molly3
Molly3
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 320
Joined : 2017-11-06
Location : Sheffield
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by Cymro on Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:25 am

rgermain wrote:
Molly3 wrote:Yes it needs toping up checked levels  .and are low .

Yes but as Crymo states, how do you get the water in with no access?

I was told the same, just non service item, best to be on your guard after 5 years. Peugeot Main Agent.

I assume your battery is not like ours.
----------
Richard

I think Richard's conclusion is correct: he and I have what are called "maintenance-free" batteries; Molly3 does not. Ours cannot be topped-up because their construction does not enable that.

Here's an example of many explanatory articles to be found on the web (this one from AxleAddict) :

"A maintenance-free type battery should not need to have water added. As the water boils off during the charging cycle, a recovery grid is located at the top of the battery cover. This will return the water back to the cells. There are no cell caps to check or fill the battery through. [emphasis added by Cymro] If the battery needs water, as seen through the opaque battery side panel, the battery needs to be replaced.
These batteries contain a pressure vent to allow the battery to vent if pressure builds up in the battery.
Some maintenance-free batteries use a hydrometer “eye” to indicate the battery condition. A green eye is supposed to mean the battery is good; however, the eye is in one cell only and gives no indication of the condition of the other five cells.."

In another vehicle I've had the type of battery where there are the traditional the cell caps, but they are hidden beneath a label. That label can indeed be removed to permit the cell caps to be unscrewed.

None of this addresses Molly3's starting post above,  however: if you have a battery which can be topped up, it isn't easy to do so where the retaining bar across the battery obscures some of the unscrewable cell caps, or where it's difficult to get sufficient access in order to peer down into the cells to check the levels.

Cymro

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 2443
Joined : 2011-06-05
Location : Caerdydd - Cardiff
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by rogerblack on Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:07 am

If the mounting position makes it difficult or even impossible to check the battery cell levels and top them up if required, it strikes me that the obvious solution is to fit a maintenance free battery which won't then require this.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cheers
Roger
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 1882
Joined : 2012-09-22
Member Age : 65
Location : Fife / Berkshire
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by rgermain on Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:44 am

Cymro wrote:
rgermain wrote:
Molly3 wrote:Yes it needs toping up checked levels  .and are low .

Yes but as Crymo states, how do you get the water in with no access?

I was told the same, just non service item, best to be on your guard after 5 years. Peugeot Main Agent.

I assume your battery is not like ours.
----------
Richard

I think Richard's conclusion is correct: he and I have what are called "maintenance-free" batteries; Molly3 does not. Ours cannot be topped-up because their construction does not enable that.

Here's an example of many explanatory articles to be found on the web (this one from AxleAddict) :

"A maintenance-free type battery should not need to have water added. As the water boils off during the charging cycle, a recovery grid is located at the top of the battery cover. This will return the water back to the cells. There are no cell caps to check or fill the battery through. [emphasis added by Cymro] If the battery needs water, as seen through the opaque battery side panel, the battery needs to be replaced.
These batteries contain a pressure vent to allow the battery to vent if pressure builds up in the battery.
Some maintenance-free batteries use a hydrometer “eye” to indicate the battery condition. A green eye is supposed to mean the battery is good; however, the eye is in one cell only and gives no indication of the condition of the other five cells.."

In another vehicle I've had the type of battery where there are the traditional the cell caps, but they are hidden beneath a label. That label can indeed be removed to permit the cell caps to be unscrewed.

None of this addresses Molly3's starting post above,  however: if you have a battery which can be topped up, it isn't easy to do so where the retaining bar across the battery obscures some of the unscrewable cell caps, or where it's difficult to get sufficient access in order to peer down into the cells to check the levels.

Cymro

Cymro

I guess the one Molly has is of an old design or has been replaced by an aftermarket type, as later ones appear to be maintenance free.

Thank you Molly, but at 73 years young I have topped up a few batteries in my time and know where to access the cells.

You cannot really be sure what Manufactures put in their vans, a lot depends on supply at the time of manufacture, so battery types may differ, this I find also applies to AS.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 2055
Joined : 2013-11-21
Member Age : 73
Location : Havant
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by glyne lock on Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:26 pm

Richard can you tell me the make or put a picture of your battery so I can see  if you can check your level as most still have caps under the label .most vehicle batteries can still be check and adjusted .some have 1 long cap and are bonded so cant be removed
glyne lock
glyne lock
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 576
Joined : 2019-10-18
Location : taunton
Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by Suppersready on Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:47 pm

rgermain wrote:
Cymro wrote:
rgermain wrote:

Yes but as Crymo states, how do you get the water in with no access?

I was told the same, just non service item, best to be on your guard after 5 years. Peugeot Main Agent.

I assume your battery is not like ours.
----------
Richard

I think Richard's conclusion is correct: he and I have what are called "maintenance-free" batteries; Molly3 does not. Ours cannot be topped-up because their construction does not enable that.

Here's an example of many explanatory articles to be found on the web (this one from AxleAddict) :

"A maintenance-free type battery should not need to have water added. As the water boils off during the charging cycle, a recovery grid is located at the top of the battery cover. This will return the water back to the cells. There are no cell caps to check or fill the battery through. [emphasis added by Cymro] If the battery needs water, as seen through the opaque battery side panel, the battery needs to be replaced.
These batteries contain a pressure vent to allow the battery to vent if pressure builds up in the battery.
Some maintenance-free batteries use a hydrometer “eye” to indicate the battery condition. A green eye is supposed to mean the battery is good; however, the eye is in one cell only and gives no indication of the condition of the other five cells.."

In another vehicle I've had the type of battery where there are the traditional the cell caps, but they are hidden beneath a label. That label can indeed be removed to permit the cell caps to be unscrewed.

None of this addresses Molly3's starting post above,  however: if you have a battery which can be topped up, it isn't easy to do so where the retaining bar across the battery obscures some of the unscrewable cell caps, or where it's difficult to get sufficient access in order to peer down into the cells to check the levels.

Cymro

Cymro

I guess the one Molly has is of an old design or has been replaced by an aftermarket type, as later ones appear to be maintenance free.

Thank you Molly, but at 73 years young I have topped up a few batteries in my time and know where to access the cells.

You cannot really be sure what Manufactures put in their vans, a lot depends on supply at the time of manufacture, so battery types may differ, this I find also applies to AS.
-----------
Richard

Are you sure ? ... your profile states you are only 72 years young !
Suppersready
Suppersready
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 346
Joined : 2017-02-12
Member Age : 58
Location : Worcestershire
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by rgermain on Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:03 am

Suppersready wrote:
rgermain wrote:
Cymro wrote:

I think Richard's conclusion is correct: he and I have what are called "maintenance-free" batteries; Molly3 does not. Ours cannot be topped-up because their construction does not enable that.

Here's an example of many explanatory articles to be found on the web (this one from AxleAddict) :

"A maintenance-free type battery should not need to have water added. As the water boils off during the charging cycle, a recovery grid is located at the top of the battery cover. This will return the water back to the cells. There are no cell caps to check or fill the battery through. [emphasis added by Cymro] If the battery needs water, as seen through the opaque battery side panel, the battery needs to be replaced.
These batteries contain a pressure vent to allow the battery to vent if pressure builds up in the battery.
Some maintenance-free batteries use a hydrometer “eye” to indicate the battery condition. A green eye is supposed to mean the battery is good; however, the eye is in one cell only and gives no indication of the condition of the other five cells.."

In another vehicle I've had the type of battery where there are the traditional the cell caps, but they are hidden beneath a label. That label can indeed be removed to permit the cell caps to be unscrewed.

None of this addresses Molly3's starting post above,  however: if you have a battery which can be topped up, it isn't easy to do so where the retaining bar across the battery obscures some of the unscrewable cell caps, or where it's difficult to get sufficient access in order to peer down into the cells to check the levels.

Cymro

Cymro

I guess the one Molly has is of an old design or has been replaced by an aftermarket type, as later ones appear to be maintenance free.

Thank you Molly, but at 73 years young I have topped up a few batteries in my time and know where to access the cells.

You cannot really be sure what Manufactures put in their vans, a lot depends on supply at the time of manufacture, so battery types may differ, this I find also applies to AS.
-----------
Richard

Are you sure ? ... your profile states you are only 72 years young !
Oops, yes I seem to have aged today blame it on Brexit! A senior moment but I do feel old right now and June will soon be here.

Taking some pictures for Mr Locke soon, but I don't know how to post them unless he gives me his address or maybe he trusts what I say as I am not in the habit of making up false information.
-------------
Richard

!
rgermain
rgermain
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 2055
Joined : 2013-11-21
Member Age : 73
Location : Havant
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by Suppersready on Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:26 am

Don’t worry ... Every birthday I have to ask the misses how young am I now !
Suppersready
Suppersready
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 346
Joined : 2017-02-12
Member Age : 58
Location : Worcestershire
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by glyne lock on Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:49 pm

Richard you say you where TOLD you had a maintenance free  battery if you put a picture on here others will then be able to see if they have the same as you have and they cant adjust the levels as you are saying. I work on a lot of vans fitted with the 019 battery and have always been able to top up the levels  .so please lets help others and post your battery in your van
glyne lock
glyne lock
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 576
Joined : 2019-10-18
Location : taunton
Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by Cymro on Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:09 pm

glyne lock: here's a photo of my lesiure battery. You can just make out the vent spout (with no tubing attached!) between the red + terminal cover and the white (mains socket) rear cover. The carrying handle obviously lifts up.  inside the handle area you can see the fish-eye electrolyte inspection lens. I cannot see any removable cell covers. 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


OOps! That's a bit big. Sorry about that.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 2443
Joined : 2011-06-05
Location : Caerdydd - Cardiff
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by glyne lock on Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:44 pm

Cymro that is correct that has the 1 piece sealed cap as I said and is a leisure battery .what you and maybe Richard are saying is correct for the leisure battery  .Molly3 was. asking about topping up the vehicle battery that has got caps to adjust. not the leisure as you are now saying. your picture is not a problem that shows what you are talking about. as I asked others can see the sealed cap and this cant be removed and at the back is the vent pipe and the red blank at the front  . thank you  for coming
glyne lock
glyne lock
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 576
Joined : 2019-10-18
Location : taunton
Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by glyne lock on Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:09 pm

Cymro the black elbow at the back should have a vent pipe going outside was this fitted by autosleepers .you need to vent this outside this should not have been fitted with out the vent pipe when fitting battery  inside as yours is (please get this sorted as is not safe)
glyne lock
glyne lock
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 576
Joined : 2019-10-18
Location : taunton
Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by Cymro on Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:54 pm

Thanks, Glyne Lock. I thought that there should have been a vent. It's been as shown in the photo from new. It's into a local A/S dealer in 2 weeks for a hab service so I'll ask them to fit the breather tube. For the last 5 years we've been lucky.
Many thanks for pointing that out.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 2443
Joined : 2011-06-05
Location : Caerdydd - Cardiff
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by glyne lock on Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:11 pm

you need to ask them the legal requirements when fitting a battery inside a vehicle as this should have never left the factory like this .autosleepers should be recalling all the vans like yours   .I think you should open a new post as others could have the same problem and are not safe like yourself
glyne lock
glyne lock
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 576
Joined : 2019-10-18
Location : taunton
Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by glyne lock on Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:20 pm

Richard
1 you say you had been told the battery is just non service item by who. or something you have read
2 you say your not in the habit of making up false information ? so lets see your picture as
Cymro has done as even your self Richard may need some help scratch head
3 do I trust what you say ? wave  
4 what I will say its hard to help when people put incorrect information as has been done in this post
5 you might know where to access the caps as you said to Molly3 but have you even looked at your own VEHICLE battery  confused3
when people go on the internet they  only get as good a answer as what they ask and as in this post did not help Molly3 at all .
 so from myself Molly3 sorry for not helping more in this post hope you are now sorted glyne
glyne lock
glyne lock
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 576
Joined : 2019-10-18
Location : taunton
Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by Molly3 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:53 pm

Thanks Glyne I wish I had not  asked
Molly3
Molly3
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 320
Joined : 2017-11-06
Location : Sheffield
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by MelB on Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:48 pm

Hi Molly3 this might help you if your battery set-up is the same as mine. My starter battery, fitted from when the van was new, do have cells with accessible screw caps. A few weeks ago after inspection of the battery cells they required, in my opinion, a small amount of de-ionised water. I put a few notes down on how I carried out the procedure-hope you can follow them-since there were only notes for my future use.

To remove the Starter battery or to check/fill the electrolyte level in the cells you need to lift and move the metal plate that sits on top of the battery [where electrical cables are attached] and which unfortunately fully covers the area where the positive [+ve] post sits. To remove the plate so that you can gain access to the caps on the battery to check the electrolyte level do the following.

First turn off all electrical supplies eg. solar panel, radio, control panel etc. Second disconnect the negative [-ve] cable from its post. Third, remove the metal clamp that holds the battery in place. Fourth remove the screws [two] from the red plastic clasp that holds the clasp and metal plate to the battery. The plate should now lift up and away from the battery to allow access to the [+ve] positive post. Fifth disconnect the positive +ve cable from its post.  PS. If the plate does not lift from the battery sufficiently to gain access to the +ve post you might need to remove a further mains cable from the plate. Access to all battery cells are now available.
Once the battery was re-connected I only had to re-set the clock on the dash-date and time.
Also thank you Glyne for the info, my sealed leisure battery breather pipe, though fitted to the battery, its exhaust end is inside the habitation area, under the bench seat and no where near an outside vent.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 647
Joined : 2015-06-23
Member Age : 70
Location : DONCASTER
Auto-Sleeper : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by glyne lock on Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:50 pm

Hi Melb
with the vent pipe putting the gas under your bench seat is a bomb waiting to get a spark to explode .did you see the electric plug to the right of the vent elbow in the picture on Cymro van that would have been sparking when a plug was pulled out he had been very lucky. it just shows how good ? the habitation services are been done and have not seen this as a safety issue . how many more campers have this safety problem .thanks to  Cymro coming forward with the picture will help others see this safety problem I was able to point out .also I was then able to explain and correct this post.
 Melb what you have posted IS what Molly3 was asking  (well done).
 so Molly3 what you asked at the start of this post is now helping others  . you can see I don't like seeing incorrect information .when you have to correct peoples post makes it hard for people like myself to help and as the old saying goes your never to OLD to LEARN
glyne lock
glyne lock
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 576
Joined : 2019-10-18
Location : taunton
Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by inspiredron on Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:18 am

My leisure battery is sealed and does have a vent tube.
The vehicle battery, under the cab floor, is not sealed and does have removable caps. I have not topped it up for a year or two but I do remember that I was able to top up most of the cells. I think that one was under the massive terminal cluster on the positive terminal and think I ignored it because the others needed so little water. I do need to check again.

_________________
Best wishes - Ron
inspiredron
inspiredron
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 2633
Joined : 2012-06-02
Member Age : 79
Location : Ellesmere, Shropshire
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Toping up the battery Empty Re: Toping up the battery

Post by glyne lock on Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:47 am

Ron
 I take it your vent tube vented through the floor as it should to out side your van.
on the new vans now the caps are nearly all covered over
glyne lock
glyne lock
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 576
Joined : 2019-10-18
Location : taunton
Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum