The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amazon TV Firestick - sub- titles ?

4 posters

Go down

iplayer - Amazon TV Firestick - sub- titles ? Empty Amazon TV Firestick - sub- titles ?

Post by Quilter Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:36 pm

We have an Amazon TV Firestick 4K which works extremely well here in Spain enabling us to stream TV both live and using iPlayer and ITV Hub.

What we don’t seem able to do is get the sub-titles for programmes. Does anyone know how to do this ? We can’t find anything online and have no instructions with the thing.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

iplayer - Amazon TV Firestick - sub- titles ? Empty Re: Amazon TV Firestick - sub- titles ?

Post by rogerblack Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:57 pm

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

iplayer - Amazon TV Firestick - sub- titles ? Empty Re: Amazon TV Firestick - sub- titles ?

Post by Quilter Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:03 pm

Thanks Roger. We’d got that far but, when we press the Menu button on ITV Hub we get the message “Function Not Available” and on BBC IPlayer nothing happens at all, no message or anything
We know there are subtitles available for the programmes we want, ie University Challenge and Midsomer Murders.

We are beginning to think we have a fault somewhere.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:07 pm

Is there a facility to turn on Closed Captions in the main Firestick settings menu?  This may need to be enabled first . . .

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:36 pm

The Accessibility setting for the Firestick is all set up for subtitles, you can even choose how they appear on screen. We’ve just gone through it all again, re-setting it, and then trying again. Still no luck.

I think we will have to try the Amazon Helpline.

Thanks again.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:02 pm

The BBC stream subtitled content separately, if available on a programme there is an Auto described (AD) version that can be selected. That doesn't work in some browsers and apps.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:02 pm

Thanks everyone. After a day communicating with Amazon and a bit more research we now think we are not able to get sub-titles because they are not ( yet ?) available using the BBC iPlayer or ITV Hub apps via an Amazon Firestick. 

If we were simply using these apps to watch on a tablet or computer that would be fine. When the programme started running a small red bubble would appear in a corner of the screen with an S in it and, if selected, then there would be subtitles. 

Thanks for all help. I’ll just have to turn up the volume and park further from neighbours !
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:15 pm

I assume that only applies to the 4K Fire Stick? Or is it because you're not in the UK?
I can certainly get subtitles on my TV here using the standard Amazon Fire Stick.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:45 am

What apps are you using Roger ?  The only information I can get is that neither iPlayer nor ITV Hub provide subtitles when used with the Firestick. 

We don’t want to stir by asking these app developers direct as, not being in UK has possibly got complications with licencing.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:49 am

Standard apps on the Fire stick:

BBC iPlayer - when I select a programme or press the pause/play button whilst watching it, on bottom left appear symbols for pause/play, i (=more info), S (=subtitles), AD (= audio description), + (=add).  Scrolling right to S, press centre button to select and Bob's your auntie. Repeat procedure to turn them off.

Watching a Prime movie/TV prog - press the options button on remote (= three horizontal bars) brings up
Audio, Subtitles, Watch from beginning, Next Up.  Select Subtitles, choice of Off, English[CC] (possibly others if appropriate) - select and BYA.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:47 pm

Thanks Roger. We keep hammering away but so far, no luck. We wonder if it has anything to do with using our Vodaphone phone for data...or that we are in Spain...or that there is another fault. We have a faulty on/ off button but Amazon have given us a complex series of button presses and pauses to sort that. More Harry Potter than technology.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:28 pm

rogerblack wrote:Standard apps on the Fire stick:

BBC iPlayer - when I select a programme or press the pause/play button whilst watching it, on bottom left appear symbols for pause/play, i (=more info), S (=subtitles), AD (= audio description), + (=add).  Scrolling right to S, press centre button to select and Bob's your auntie. Repeat procedure to turn them off.

Watching a Prime movie/TV prog - press the options button on remote (= three horizontal bars) brings up
Audio, Subtitles, Watch from beginning, Next Up.  Select Subtitles, choice of Off, English[CC] (possibly others if appropriate) - select and BYA.

Yes, I can confirm this works through Vodafone mobile hotspot on the programmes that do have subtitles available - the 'S' only shows for those that do.

iplayer - Amazon TV Firestick - sub- titles ? 20200111

iplayer - Amazon TV Firestick - sub- titles ? 20200110
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:53 pm

Thank you Peter. Have you used your Fire Stick on ITV Hub and got subtitles ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:42 pm

I've just exposed myself to high winds and a downpour - you cant get subtitles from the ITV hub via the Firestick App. I can get them on my smartphone app there is a light blue dot comes up top right of the screen if subtitles are available.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:32 pm

Thank you Peter. Much appreciated. We’ll stop looking for subtitles and turn up the volume instead.

I hope you’re dry and warm again.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:08 pm

Both being hard of hearing, We connect a bluetooth transmitter to the headphone socket of the tv and use a small bluetooth speaker near where we are in the van at any time.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:42 pm

Thanks Peter. We’ve got a small sound bar that sits on a cushion near me. It does help but, especially with older films, I do find subtitles help. Sometimes it’s the fault of the actors as my OH, with excellent hearing, can’t make out what’s being said. It doesn’t help that we’ve got a fan heater going. The days are very mild but cold nights.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

iplayer - Amazon TV Firestick - sub- titles ? Empty Help

Post by hpatel Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:56 pm

Quilter wrote:We have an Amazon TV Firestick 4K which works extremely well here in Spain enabling us to stream TV both live and using iPlayer and ITV Hub.

What we don’t seem able to do is get the sub-titles for programmes. Does anyone know how to do this ? We can’t find anything online and have no instructions with the thing.

Hi Have you used your fire stick in the UK - what Wifi are you using for your fire stick or is it through a sat Dish - sorry I am new..
We were going to install a sat dish for sky etc - we thought if we get a decent Wifi unit then we can use the fire stick I,e netflex etc.. so no need for a sat dish

Harry
hpatel
hpatel

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:20 pm

hpatel wrote:
Quilter wrote:We have an Amazon TV Firestick 4K which works extremely well here in Spain enabling us to stream TV both live and using iPlayer and ITV Hub.

Hi Have you used your fire stick in the UK - what Wifi are you using for your fire stick or is it through a sat Dish - sorry I am new..
We were going to install a sat dish for sky etc - we thought if we get a decent Wifi unit then we can use the fire stick I,e netflex etc.. so no need for a sat dish

Harry

Private messages sent Harry ( 2 )
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down