The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small table in Nuevo

+16
gassygassy
Bev
rose49f
daisy mae
Mike Cope
Pete Taylor
KMRTOPAZ
inspiredron
Gromit
Cymro
bainzie
PLOUGHLIN
Dbvwt
burlingtonboaby
Paulmold
Gabjack
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Small table in Nuevo Empty Small table in Nuevo

Post by Gabjack Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:02 pm

Is anyone else less than impressed with the practicality of the small table in the Nuevo (or other models with similar small occasional tables)?

When you're on the road and call in at a Motorway Service station, all you want is something to put your cup of coffee on and get your sites book out. But in order to use the small table, you have to turn both front seats around (not easy in my van as you have to alter seat back angles and front/back position) and even then there is no room to get either side of it in any comfortable position as the cab seats seem to be built for people over 6 ft tall. Why didn't AS put the base socket a foot further back into the habitation unit? This would have meant that you could sit on the bench seats and have a perfect place for a snack instead of having to get the big heavy fold-up table out for a short stop.

So my question is:-

Is there a bespoke product on the market that is cantilevered out from the upright pole that lets you fix the table top a foot further into the lounge?
Something that fixes onto the upright pole that has an extended arm with a short pole that accepts the table top bracket?
I've read on here about re-positioning the base-plate, but am a bit leery about cutting holes in the flooring above the tanks, etc.
Any suggestions welcome.
Gabjack

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Small table in Nuevo Empty Re: Small table in Nuevo

Post by Paulmold Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:08 pm

I just wish there were cup holders in the Boxer cab.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:18 pm

Paulmold wrote:I just wish there were cup holders in the Boxer cab.
Mirror guard, make a drinks/ snack tray Paul,I have one ,it cost £48 last year, only problem is that ,Tag our Border has taken over the front seats when static.
We had an aluminium boom arm and round table fitted behind our passenger seat in the Sigma, the boom arm was on a clamp bracket fitted to the bulk head and another bracket underneath the table top. These brackets allowed the table to move from behind the seat into a position in the centre of the floor area.
Autotrail have them fitted in some of their older larger vans.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:23 pm

The mirror guard cup holder only fits the later centre glove box, not mine.
Gromit put a boom arm for a table in his Nuevo. There are details on the forum, somewhere.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:39 pm

Gabjack, what are your DIY skills like? 
Sounds like a simple mod could easily be made with basic skills (although I am a bit of a mod freak!!)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:39 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:42 pm

Found Gromits details....

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:01 pm

Sorry if this has been covered in the above links but could the pole bracket (on the underside of the table) simply be moved so it is not in the centre of the table but towards one end?
If it’s anything like my table the leg/bracket is plenty strong enough to support the table this way.

Or a simple tripod?
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabjack Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Dbvwt wrote:Gabjack, what are your DIY skills like? 
Sounds like a simple mod could easily be made with basic skills (although I am a bit of a mod freak!!)
Very average....
Used to be more adventurous, but age has caught up with me. 
What are you suggesting?
Gabjack

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabjack Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:44 pm

Dbvwt wrote:Sorry if this has been covered in the above links but could the pole bracket (on the underside of the table) simply be moved so it is not in the centre of the table but towards one end?
If it’s anything like my table the leg/bracket is plenty strong enough to support the table this way.

Or a simple tripod?

Now that looks interesting...
Is the pole in the Nuevo 55mm dia?  Can't measure mine at the moment as it is in storage for a couple more weeks.
Thanks Dbvwt....
Gabjack

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 pm

Not a Nuevo but mine came in at exactly 55mm.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabjack Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:14 pm

Dbvwt wrote:Not a Nuevo but mine came in at exactly 55mm.

Thats Great Dbvwt...
Thanks for going to the trouble. Looks like they're all the same pole, so the Fiamma base should fit hopefully.
Gabjack
Gabjack

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:27 pm

I’m tempted to get one of those myself as it would also work outdoors. If you do go down that route please PM me with your thoughts/findings.
David
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bainzie Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:53 pm

Hi there .
we bought one of those  Fiamma  tripod leg things  , it works quite well  inside  and outside of  the van , only thing we have found  is that its a little on the high side .
I may take a bit off the  tube  to make it bit lower for the table .
But for the time being I will leave as it is .

Bernie
bainzie
bainzie

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : NUEVO EK
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:20 pm

The poles are tapered at both ends so you can't cut them down. You can however buy shorter poles for use with a tripod.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:45 pm

Paulmold wrote:The poles are tapered at both ends so you can't cut them down. You can however buy shorter poles for use with a tripod.

Well, not unless you have an omni-competent best friend who has all the necessary gear to cut out a few inches as desired from the middle of the tube, and weld it together again, and then make it perfect and respray it, thereby preserving both tapered ends. He kindly did that for me years ago when I had the Clubman , and I've kept (and used) that shorter leg thereafter. Ideal gin table outside, using Fiamma tripod! Stores in wardrobe (bought a clip from AS).

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:21 pm

Paulmold wrote:The poles are tapered at both ends so you can't cut them down. You can however buy shorter poles for use with a tripod.
My pole came with plastic end caps.

A bit of heat softened the glue enough to get one end off, so the leg could be cut down to length. The end cap was then replaced and the leg was as good as new.

We are talking about the Fiamma tripod table set here of course. The A/S system is quite different, and impossible to modify in this way.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:23 pm

P.S. I posted this a little while ago, complete with photos.

Hope it helps

Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:34 pm

Gromit wrote:

We are talking about the Fiamma tripod table set here of course. The A/S system is quite different, and impossible to modify in this way.
My cut-down was indeed to the A/S system. I use the shortened leg ( with its tapered ends) both in the sockets in the floor of the van and in the Fiamma plastic tripod which I subsequently bought. 

It is possible to modify an original A/S leg as I've described - but I don't have the skill or equipment so to do. But I know a man who could! And very kindly did.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:38 pm

When we bought our Lancashire we also looked at the Bourton. At the time that was a Broadway on a Merc and it had the cranked table leg which fitted into a metal socket mounted on the end of the bed locker behind the passenger seat. I think that the table socket was offset like From it's post. Much better idea than the inflexible floor socket.
We have used the small table en route from the side settees. You have to swivel the front seats a bit and the handbrake lever does get in the way of turning the driver's seat.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:53 pm

I cut a section out of the centre of a table pole/tube and rejoined it with an eight inch length of wood which I turned to fit,   on a wood lathe.  A couple of screws through the tube into the wood plug each side of the cut secured the join.
We use it (infrequently) with the Fiamma tripod outside the van.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:16 pm

Gabjack wrote:Is anyone else less than impressed with the practicality of the small table in the Nuevo (or other models with similar small occasional tables)?

When you're on the road and call in at a Motorway Service station, all you want is something to put your cup of coffee on and get your sites book out. But in order to use the small table, you have to turn both front seats around (not easy in my van as you have to alter seat back angles and front/back position) and even then there is no room to get either side of it in any comfortable position as the cab seats seem to be built for people over 6 ft tall. Why didn't AS put the base socket a foot further back into the habitation unit? This would have meant that you could sit on the bench seats and have a perfect place for a snack instead of having to get the big heavy fold-up table out for a short stop.

Is there a bespoke product on the market that is cantilevered out from the upright pole that lets you fix the table top a foot further into the lounge?
Something that fixes onto the upright pole that has an extended arm with a short pole that accepts the table top bracket?
I've read on here about re-positioning the base-plate, but am a bit leery about cutting holes in the flooring above the tanks, etc.
Any suggestions welcome.
Gosh; all these complications!
Remove small table and stupid wiggly pipe bracket from van. Put it in your shed.

When you want to stop for a short time (as described above)… get the big table out of the wardrobe (20 seconds), erect it (10 seconds). Sit down. make a brew and get maps/butties/cakes out...  Relax.

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:57 am

Alternatively, swing out small table on stupid wiggly pipe bracket (half a second) sit down, make a brew . . . . etc.  up!

It's whatever works for you. Nobody is wrong, and nobody is right. Each to his own, eh.  content
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabjack Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:38 pm

Pete Taylor wrote:
Gabjack wrote:Is anyone else less than impressed with the practicality of the small table in the Nuevo (or other models with similar small occasional tables)?

Any suggestions welcome.
Gosh; all these complications!
Remove small table and stupid wiggly pipe bracket from van. Put it in your shed.

When you want to stop for a short time (as described above)… get the big table out of the wardrobe (20 seconds), erect it (10 seconds). Sit down. make a brew and get maps/butties/cakes out...  Relax.
Thanks for your understanding Peter.
Firstly, I do not have a stupid wiggly pipe bracket, only a straight pole that requires the the front seats to be turned in order for the table to set up and used. As I have an arthritic wrist, turning the drivers seat around is not an easy task as requires altering every angle of the seat as well leaving off the handbrake. 
Secondly, If I wish to find a suitable alternative for short stops, I consider that my business, so please indulge me.
I have had plenty of helpful suggestions from other forum members and am pursuing those. 
Have a nice day
G.
Gabjack

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Cope Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:28 pm

In our last van, we used a Fimma Tripod Pro, which is a collapsible 3 piece foot. It worked very well, both inside and outside the van.
They also sell the tube leg, and the conic connection to attach the tube to the table separately, if needed, we didn’t need them for ours. The Tripod foot meant the table could be used anywhere inside and outside the van. The Fiamma foot part no is 06362 - 01, and they are readily available. Good Luck. Mike
Mike Cope
Mike Cope

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next