The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intermittent fault reversing camera

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Intermittent fault reversing camera - Page 3 Empty Re: Intermittent fault reversing camera

Post by marconi on Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:14 pm

Re 13 Amp plugs. They have strain relief clamps and so suffer very little from breaking of the conductor when soldered. The subject has been debated for years, I personally have seen dozens of loose wires and burned plugs during the era of soldered ends.

From the IET Setting Standards for Electrical Installation where it gets debated :-

"I was taught this is bad practice for two reasons. One, because solder is soft, it is too easy to over-tighten the connection and sever the conductor. Two, although tight when first done, over time the solder displaces away from the screw by a cold-flow process. Both these problems can lead to an intermittent connection, possibly on the earth connection, leading to a safety hazard."

I couldn't agree more.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2019

bainzie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Intermittent fault reversing camera - Page 3 Empty Re: Intermittent fault reversing camera

Post by marconi on Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:10 am

Back on topic. smile!

There are several comments about the recent plastic Cameras giving poor quality Video. When my intermittent problem first started it went into very poor quality for a time even splitting across the screen and displaying complementary colours. I have not seen this since.

Personally I find the quality quite good.

So I wonder if the poor quality was related to Voltage starvation at the start of the bad joint going open circuit.

I would add that the fault despite being very touch sensitive didn't ever appear to be effected by vibration either from bumpy roads or thumping, (technical vibration testing).
Not knowing that there were any joints in the headlining in the cab but knowing that the cable must run that way I gave it a good thumping on several occasions (not in anger) to try and either make the Camera go off or come back on.

Incidentally there is no anger in my posts, I merely post my findings with truth backed by evidence, beware, occasionally there may be some irony.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2019

bainzie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum