The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter (frost) setup. 2016 Broadway EK

5 posters

Go down

Winter (frost) setup. 2016 Broadway EK Empty Winter (frost) setup. 2016 Broadway EK

Post by Casagodfrey Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:46 am

So...the weather is starting to turn and my new MH learning curve enters a new phase. 

In my previous MH, as the ambient air temperature dropped, I drained down all systems and used bottled tap water for everything from tea to flushing. 

The Broadway literature seems to indicate a much greater level of winterisation, so I now wonder if I still need to drain everything. 

Grateful for comment from late-model AS coach built owners (particularly Broadway) on their approach to winter water. 
We will be doing a lot of uk touring through the winter. 

Thanks
Casagodfrey
Casagodfrey

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK LT
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Winter (frost) setup. 2016 Broadway EK Empty Re: Winter (frost) setup. 2016 Broadway EK

Post by Guest Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:49 am

'winterisation' means different things to different people...

to users it usually means being able to use the van all uear round without fear of tanks/pipework (incoming fresh and outgoing waste) freezing even in prolonged very cold use.

to some manufacturers these days, it means putting a MH in a cold chamber, cooling it and then turning the gas heating on full chat and seeing if the van can reach and maintain a certain internal temperature.

if it does, the van reaches some arbitrary 'grade 3 insulation' level, despite the water system being empty and, if it were full, certain areas would suffer.

in the real world of MH use (rather than laboratory testing) id start by asking yourself these questions...

is the fresh water tank inboard? most continental vans have internal tanks and are true four season vans, whereas most UK vans have external tanks and, despite the addition of 'heating pads' (which cant be used if away from a hook up) are susceptible to cold snaps.

are the waste water pipes inboard? again, many 'winterised' vans have piperuns (and tanks) that sit between double floors, only exiting for the last few inches, even then the actual dump valve is insulated inboard.

non winterised vans have many feet of exposed waste pipes running outside the van terminating in an external tap, meaning (with the tap closed) these pipes are full of water, at the mercy of prolonged cold weather. 

folk who ski in the alps require a 'winterised' van and it wont be a swift, autotrail or AS...

folk who tour the UK for three seasons can adopt some 'good winter practice' techniques which will help but wont make a van 'winterised'.

draining down is one of these things but a MH is there to be used and if you cant use the kitchen or the washroom/shower whats the point?....

others will be able to tell you more specific info on the Broadway and how they manage in winter...but is it 'winterised'?....IMHO no.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Winter (frost) setup. 2016 Broadway EK Empty Re: Winter (frost) setup. 2016 Broadway EK

Post by Paulmold Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:13 am

Not specific to the Broadway but this Factsheet can be found in the Factsheet section along with all sorts of useful information that very few people ever read...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi Paul,
Just read the Factsheet but it is a bit general.
We have camped at around minus 8 even got caught in the beast from the east and all was well.
If you are in the van when it is cold like this it dosen't seem to freeze, but I for one don't really want to be camping in these conditions and would certainly drain the van when we start having heavy ground frosts if not using the van at that time.
We do have some nice clear but cold days throughout the winter to use the van in.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:13 pm

Casegodfry,

I'm a newbie to MHs but not to caravans.  As far as winter and the risk of freezing is concerned, 'out of use' is any time the MH is not being lived in.  If it is being lived in it is reasonable to assume that the normal heating and constant use of the water will prevent freezing and, if connected to the mains, the heating pads if switched on should prevent the external water tanks from freezing.  At all other times when the MH is not being lived in, even if it is only for a few days, and there is a risk of freezing, I would drain down the water system completely.  This includes both external water tanks, the Combi hot water tank and any water held in the piping or taps.  This means opening everything including the external tank drains, the Truma drop valve, all taps hot and cold and the toilet flush.  If the temperature drops to 5 degrees the Truma drop valve should open automatically.  Providing the Truma Non Return Valve (NRV) has not been fitted the wrong side of the Truma drop valve (the arrow should be pointing towards the NRV), the 10 litres of water in the Combi should drain outside but unless the taps and toilet flush are opened, water will be held in the piping and taps which can still freeze and cause damage.  I know from experience that the smallest amount of water freezing in a tap or mixer cartridge can damage it.  This may sound extreme but for most caravaners draining the water system down after every period of use and before travelling, regardless of the time of year, should be second nature.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:22 pm

Sorry - I meant the arrow on the NRV should be pointing towards the Truma drop valve.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancy Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:33 pm

We use our camper through the winter albeit maybe one weekend a month on a Site and also the odd pub stop just to get away.  We are always nice and cosy and it is cheaper to heat the van than the house!  We will be draining down when the frosts comes and keep it drained inspite of using it.  We just take 5 litres of water from home - kettle, drinking, washing up etc. We have a bottle made up of zorflora to rinse out the toilet bowl after use.  On sites we shower and wash and on an overnight pub stop we just shower when we get home.  We find this much easier than filling and draining just for a weekend.
Lancy
Lancy

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down