The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ravenna rear window seal leaking

+2
deejay
stephenday
6 posters

Go down

Ravenna rear window seal leaking Empty Ravenna rear window seal leaking

Post by stephenday Fri May 04, 2012 5:44 pm

hi all i have ford transit mk 6 autosleeper ravenna 2002 ive been told rear window leaking how big job would this be to take out and re seal thanks
stephenday
stephenday

Male

Auto-Sleeper : ravenna

Back to top Go down

Ravenna rear window seal leaking Empty ravenna

Post by stephenday Sat May 12, 2012 11:11 pm

took rear window out bit hard as sealed in got there no sealer on half window re sealed no more leaks
stephenday
stephenday

Male

Back to top Go down

Ravenna rear window seal leaking Empty Ravenna rear window leaking

Post by deejay Tue May 15, 2012 1:37 pm

My 2004 Transit based Ravenna had a serious rear window leak. Completely soaked the upholstery and bed under the window. However, this was fixed under warranty at AS so no idea how difficult, but did not take that long for them to do. Common problem we were told, being something to do with the difference in size of the inner and outer body shell!
deejay
deejay

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna on a Transit
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Ravenna rear window seal leaking Empty ravenna

Post by stephenday Wed May 16, 2012 7:34 am

hopefully wont leak anymore
stephenday
stephenday

Male

Back to top Go down

Ravenna rear window seal leaking Empty Re: Ravenna rear window seal leaking

Post by bantamblade Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:11 pm

hi what sealer do you use on ravenna rear window please?
bantamblade
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:18 pm

Best ringing AS. Stephen day hasn't been on this site since 2013 and Deejay last visited in August.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by bantamblade Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:49 pm

Many thanks,will give them a ring
bantamblade
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:51 am

When the rear and n/s windows were re-sealed on our Rienza they used a roll of sealer. It looks like thick double sided tape. When the window was fastened back in place the excess was trimmed off the outside. This proved there was sealant all the way round. Our local motorhome parts supplier Magnum Motorhomes keep the sealing tape in stock.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by bantamblade Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:13 pm

Thanks for that Dave,i will give them a ring,just worked out how to get the top screws out as they are a little awkward to get at,many thanks for your help
bantamblade
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Ravenna rear window seal leaking Empty Rer window leak

Post by deejay Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:28 am

I have no idea what sealant they used but Tim Hudd who did the job, said to me that it will not leak again and it hasn't, so probably best to contact AS for sealant type.
deejay
deejay

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna on a Transit
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:57 pm

The guys that did my side window showed me were the screws were for the back window and what trim to remove. He was too busy to do both windows but was happy to let me do the back one myself.The only warning being to remove the blind unit form the inside, don't leave it in place because it will fall off the wall and damage the blind mechanism.
  Having stiff and painful hand joints it went quite well. The top corner screws were a bit of a pig because some yoyo had mangled the screw heads. tap_fingers  I could see the shaft of the screw and managed to get a pad saw in and cut the screws in two. Once the window was out and flat on the dinning table the rest of the screws came out with assistance from mole grips.
  The tape was fun to fit, I bought the wider tape by mistake. Management gave me a hand lay the tape on and carry the window out to the van. We then took the backing tape off and carefully lifted it into the window hole. One chance job, any goofs mean starting again.
  The blind unit was replaced and the screws were tightened in sequence to pull the window snugly up to the back panel.
  Any surplus goo was trimmed off the outside. I retightened the screws after a lunch break to make sure the sealant was doing its job properly. The cut off screws were replaced in the top corners to be sure of the best screws in the worse places.
Not a bad job to be honest, a bit more of though was needed because I have a ladder on the offside rear of my van so the window had to be lifted in my two of us. A side window can be lifted by one person.
I am getting the better of this van and hope it will take us to managements final retirement time and longer  times away . Nearly forgot,  battery master now fitted. allthumbz
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bantamblade Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:21 pm

Thanks for that,ive bought some mastic tape today from local caravan shop.Tonight i have tried retaining screws,and they all move,you will need a very short screwdriver to undo the top ones,i made my own just 1.5" long. just waiting for a dry day now to have a go.I will let you know how i get on
bantamblade
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bantamblade Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:52 pm

Removed window today found 3 broken rivetts in window pane mounting panel,allowing pane to drop and not fit against seal.I fitted 3 new rivetts plus 3 more to add strength. I contacted A/S service in the week they advised using Sikaflex to seal window frame,but said the window would have to be cut out if removed in the future. Not for me, i bought some 19mm wide by 2.2mm thick mastic tape from Oasis Caravans and fitted around the frame,then fitted frame back into body.The screws were then tightened and the mastic sqeezed out the sides,i trimmed the excess off,  i will re tighten the screws tommorow job done.If anyone does the same job,check the rivetts it may be part of your problem.
bantamblade
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:00 pm

:allthumbz:Well done with window. I agree about the Sikafex, we used it to put bonded windows in buses and it is a pig of a job to remove. One of our body shop guys used a wood chisel to remove the broken glass and old Sikaflex.
 I think my o/s window was sealed with it before we bought our van. The guy that did the other side recons you will be lucky not to break the window after using Sikaflex. The mastic stays soft and sticky for a long time and the residue can be wiped off with a mild solvent.
 I think my window is different to yours, just a plastic frame with the blind unit on the inside. The windows on my Duetto I think were held together with rivets similar to the side windows on my Landrover County.
 My next task will be to buy some new screws for mine. As mentioned I had to chop the two top corner ones. I had some old ones with slot heads so they were fitted were I could get to them easily. I would like to think the job was done properly.
 We did have a very minor leak the weekend after I did ours but a gentle re-tighten seems to have stopped it. I am going to get my modelling knife and trim off the surplus mastic today. The top has oozed out a little more.
 I was pleasantly surprised to see the frame inside the side and rear window of mine was like new wood. It proved that leaky windows need sorting as soon as possible or you could be looking at frame damage.
All set now for a few more nights away in our warm, dry and cosy van, cold
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bantamblade Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:33 pm

Had heavy rain all day today,checked rear window,all dry good job done,can recommend mastic tape to do the job
bantamblade
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bantamblade Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:59 pm

Heavy rain and gales yesterday, slight leak at seal between glass and window frame on the rear window,I smeared vasoline around the seal,seams to have done the trick.Today i ordered a set of window seals from A/S for all the windows, they are 17 years old now so will change the lot.Hopefully we will use the van in the next couple of weeks,to try it out for the first time,the wife says its too cold,so i may be going on my own
bantamblade
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:14 pm

Don't forget the hot water bottle. hugegrins Whistle1
logburner
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Post by bantamblade Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Window seals arrived from A.S today ,enough to do all the window.They come in 5mtr packs and cost £10 + p&p+vat .Will begin fitting tomorrow
bantamblade
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bantamblade Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:46 pm

New window seals fitted,old ones really hard,not a bad job if you take your time.
bantamblade
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bantamblade Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:43 pm

Slept in the Ravenna last night,first time since buying it,i think we are going to enjoy this one.....Dave
bantamblade
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down