The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I won't do that again......

4 posters

Go down

I won't do that again...... Empty I won't do that again......

Post by Casagodfrey Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:16 pm

Had an exciting Camper journey today. No damage, no cost but I definitely had no idea of, firstly, how I got into the tiny square and, secondly, how I was going to get out of the village. Route in was now a restaurant street (and one way). Everywhere else was narrow and/or steep as *!**! Ended up with a mono-lingual Spaniard walking in front of the camper shouting and pointing incomprehensible directions until I wriggled and wound my way into something approaching a normal road. Probably my worst motorhome experience yet!  Place was Zahara de la Sierra. Nice but tight.
Casagodfrey
Casagodfrey

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK LT
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

I won't do that again...... Empty Re: I won't do that again......

Post by Cymro Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:08 pm

Ah yes! I empathise with the stress! Did the same in a lovely German village. Got into the square OK via the one-way street. But the 2 exits were via arches under buildings - which were too low for us. Had to change my trousers later.... and updated the satnav!

Cymro

PS: I also recall that occasion when the French road I was on suddenly dived into an underpass.... which was too low for us. Now that really was hairy!

Last edited by Cymro on Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added PS)
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Slaphead Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:30 pm

When touring in France, we took a slip road leading to a a big "supermarche" only to encounter a height barrier.  There was absolutely nowhere to go so I had to reverse back down the slip road and slink out on to the motorway.  Absolute nightmare but no other choice.  Fortunately no one was behind me on the slip road.

Perhaps I did not pick up a warning about the barrier but why have it in the first place?

Dave C.
Slaphead
Slaphead
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Medallion (Merc)
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:33 pm

I also empathise. Been in several similar situations like that.
Anyone who has approached Rocamadour in France from the south will know what a nightmare it is for a large vehicle climbing out of the steep gorge , the worst part being a severe blind right hand bend that requires a swing on to the wrong side of the road..
 Fine if there's a traffic officer stopping traffic coming downhill, if not, the embarrassment of meeting oncoming vehicles and having nowhere to go because of the snake of cars behind is compounded by hundreds of pedestrian tourists pointing and laughing...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down