The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has the Nuevo been over-developed?

+18
Askit
Mike187
raymondo
Dave 418
harrysp
inspiredron
Jamie D
steamdrivenandy
Paulmold
PLOUGHLIN
Page Turner
Greyhound
Gromit
CJ1949
CC
bikeralw
Eltel
gassygassy
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Has the Nuevo been over-developed? - Page 3 Empty Re: Has the Nuevo been over-developed?

Post by raymondo Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:45 pm

I have a full set of Neuvo glasses and crockery, never used in a box in the attic

My 2008 Nuevo is - for me  - pretty near perfect except that it is 2008 and starting to show its age, its used, a lot.
I dont want to buy a new one but would happlily consider one a couple of years old but to date I have not seen one without the "optional" sun roof other stuff (which might be "optional " but seem to be ubiquitous) rear legs, water pump, microwave etc they can be easily removed and either sold on or thrown out wouldnt be a deal breaker - just a pain but I cannot and will not do without the over cab locker!

BTW whats with the centrally positioned waste outlet, is that standard or an option Ive seen some with and some without (I dont like it!)
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

Has the Nuevo been over-developed? - Page 3 Empty Re: Has the Nuevo been over-developed?

Post by merv Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:14 pm

This thread proves one thing to me: that we all have our preferences and they differ markedly. We use the microwave, we love the front skylight, I like having two methods of water filling, I like the door which no long separates from it's top fastening, we use cab air conditioning and cruise control, we like the modern, plainer upholstery.
On the other hand, on every AS van we've had since 1996, we've hardly ever used the oven and the extractor over the cooker in the Nuevo and in the Broadway is a real pain..literally!
Perhaps we've just been lucky with our vans over the years..always AS with a 4 year exception of a Hymer; we've never had serious problems with any of them.
merv

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:37 pm

Caraman wrote:I meant to add that the 4 glass wine glasses and the space they took were wasteful (and yes we do drink wine) as were the melamine mugs that couldn't have boiling water put in them.  One of the more useful additions to the spec were 4 china Marquis mugs which they gave us for free!
We replaced the glasses with cheap ones from Spanish Chinese shop. They’re pristine for the next owner, like the carpets and other bits that we’ve removed. We use the melamine mugs to measure the dog food portion-I’ll give them a good wash before we sell.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:39 pm

We replaced the glasses with a set from Argos because somebody (not me) had an accident   Whistle1 I'm impressed by the level of sophistication on here, we use the AS dishes (bit better than the paper plates we're used to). We have proper mugs for our tea, and espresso cups for our coffee, and proper crystal glasses for the malt and brandy, but food............who cares  lol4

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:58 pm

One thing that I have asked for but been met with a lukewarm response ( “ it would not be popular”) is removable, interchangeable seat covers.

In the best of all possible worlds the seat foam, when the van is new, would be covered with plain cream stockinette. A set of good quality loose covers, selected by the buyer from a good range of plain or patterned fabrics, would be provided. When the buyer was fed up with those, or when they became too tatty to continue, another set could be bought, at a reasonable  price, from AS or dealers. The covers would be easily removable for dry cleaning or washing.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:20 pm

Quilter wrote:One thing that I have asked for but been met with a lukewarm response ( “ it would not be popular”) is removable, interchangeable seat covers.

In the best of all possible worlds the seat foam, when the van is new, would be covered with plain cream stockinette. A set of good quality loose covers, selected by the buyer from a good range of plain or patterned fabrics, would be provided. When the buyer was fed up with those, or when they became too tatty to continue, another set could be bought, at a reasonable  price, from AS or dealers. The covers would be easily removable for dry cleaning or washing.

Or you could quilt a set. 

Sorry. 

My excuse is Mrs SDA is an adult education quilting teacher (retired), among other things.

I guess A/S would say they have so many different shapes and sizes of cushion, especially as it would all be back catalogue, that they couldn't justify trying to keep patterns etc.

Just had a brill thought. When you get fed up with locker doors etc, send for a different finish. Different carpet would be good. Removable lino with alternatives available. Windows clear or different shades/colours of tint. Oh the list is endless.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:13 am

I like the door which no long separates from it's top fastening,

are you talking about the habitation door?
Just that mine has recently started to detatch!
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:20 am

sorry I hit "send" prematurely

Mrs Raymondo constructed a set of seat covers for the caravan seats which are held in place by 2inch elastic and velcro which keeps 99% of the wear and tear off the original ones and can be easily removed for cleaning, as for the carpets they have never been used  - cream carpets in a van that will spend most of its life parked in a field isnt very practical!  I have a runner of very heavy duty marine grade carpet that sits down the length of the habitation area which is removed as required and powerhosed
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:59 pm

This thread has wandered away from the original question and developed into a what you like and don't like in your AS. Perhaps such comments should be added to this thread instead..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:31 pm

The OP did equate their view of over-development with added bits and pieces and to some extent I see what was being got at. However there are three points that should be borne in mind.
Firstly A/S promotes itself as a premium brand and as such has to keep with what buyers of brand new premium motorhomes expect. To an extent, the opinion of buyers of used vans doesn't really bother them, unless onward sales got so difficult that new buyers failed to purchase and that clearly isn't happening.
Secondly, whilst we can deride the prolific buyer of new vans, we need to realise that having a loyal repeat customer base is a definite benefit to a motorhome business and keeps the used market healthy. If vans weren't updated and stuff added etc then prolific buyers of new vans would look elsewhere.
Thirdly, A/S did, sort of, try selling two different Nuevo's a while back with the new version featuring the swing wall shower unit and, I believe the underfloor gas tank among other things. The Classic model, without such changes was available for a while, alongside the new. Presumably sales of the Classic gradually made it uneconomic to feature two types of the same basic van.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3