The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BOURTON ROOF SAFE TO WALK ON CLEAN

3 posters

Go down

BOURTON ROOF SAFE TO WALK ON CLEAN Empty BOURTON ROOF SAFE TO WALK ON CLEAN

Post by Jimmee Sun 12 May - 9:30

Trying to find out whether I can safely walk on the roof of my 2014 Bourton to clean it and the other fitments that are up there, aerial, air conditioning, solar panel, heki lights and such stuff.  I weigh 60 kilos.  Just seen in the handbook maximum load on roof whether fixture or person is 75 kilos but confused by the following statement from the handbook "with a maximum loading of 8 kilograms (17 lbs) per square foot".  Page 3.1 in our book.

Last edited by Jimmee on Sun 12 May - 9:35; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional information)
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

BOURTON ROOF SAFE TO WALK ON CLEAN Empty Re: BOURTON ROOF SAFE TO WALK ON CLEAN

Post by groundhog Sun 12 May - 9:37

Can't speak for the bourton but often go up on our worcester roof to clean it, I can step straight on as there is a high bank where it lives. If you are worried I would use something to spread the load, a piece of board or similar.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Sun 12 May - 10:28

Thank you for that.  It is helpful.  I think I'll give it a try and yes had thought about spreading the load.  Obviously when all the accessories are fitted to the roof, someone has to have been on the roof to do so and I bet they are a lot heavier than me.  Angela - as it is me that will go up there!  (of Jimmee)
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Eribiste Tue 14 May - 5:55

I've visited the roof of every motorhome that's ever graced our drive for the purpose of cleaning the roof and skylights with never a problem. The Rapido we had some years back had a ladder fitted on it, but with everything else I get someone to foot the ladder whilst I'm transferring from ladder to roof. The roofs have always felt very sound, with no sense of excessive deflection. Because I'm not very brave, and cleaning the roof details, I'm usually on my hands and knees up there, which naturally spreads the load.
Eribiste
Eribiste

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down