The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electric water heater in 2007 Nuevo

+3
grahamandjenny
Tigerbadge
Fatima
7 posters

Go down

Electric water heater in 2007 Nuevo Empty Electric water heater in 2007 Nuevo

Post by Fatima Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:15 pm

Truma Ultrastore on 2007 Nuevo: Water heats up on gas but not on electricity. The heating system works fine on electricity and all other electric appliances are fine. This has happened before and then in an hour or two it suddenly starts to work again. Can anyone explain why this might be & how I might fix it?
Fatima
Fatima

Female

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Electric water heater in 2007 Nuevo Empty Re: Electric water heater in 2007 Nuevo

Post by Tigerbadge Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Not had chance to use the hot water yet on my van but when using on electric I know you have to wait a good hour for it to heat up especially with the weather we have at the moment.
Most vans are the same, so if you want it quick people use gas, if that helps.
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Electric water heater in 2007 Nuevo Empty Re: Electric water heater in 2007 Nuevo

Post by grahamandjenny Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:50 pm

We use he ultrastore in our 09 Nuevo all the time, it takes about 45mins to get hot. I always run the hot water tap before I turn it on to make sure there is water in the system and by the time we have cooked and eaten breakfast the water is ready to do the washing up. If you have an intermittent problem it sounds like a loose wire or faulty switch some where.
grahamandjenny
grahamandjenny

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 11 ES
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatima Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks. Think I left it well long enough - and in the past it has been relatively quick. However I must admit I find the switches confusing as they don't correspond to the description in the handbook (!). The electricity is connected, there is a toggle switch in the wardrobe which is on and also the heating control switch near the door. I have that switched on and the power setting selected - usually at the highest. I know this sounds stupid but - is there anything else to switch on!!!!!?
Fatima
Fatima

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by grahamandjenny Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:23 pm

Hi Fatima, In the back of the wardrobe in our 09 Nuevo there are two switches (look like house light switches) the top one switches the power on to the heating and you then use the heating control switch by the door to get the correct temp (yes I use maximum also) and the second switch in the wardrobe turns the hot water on, this is the only switch for hot water and you need to switch it off after.
grahamandjenny
grahamandjenny

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatima Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Thanks. That's what Ive been doing - always worked in the past altho sometimes not straight away. Perhaps its a faulty connection. Ill try it again tomorrow and if no joy I guess it's back to the repair shop......

Perhaps you can help me with another minor problem: There are strip lights at ceiling level each side of the living area. No switch - they work only from a button on the key fob. The The key fob also works the outside awning light. The awning light can also be operated from the control panel above the door which is fine but there is no way of switching on the strip lights other than using the fob. Changing the battery in the fob no effect altho' I wonder if the new battery is faulty.......
Fatima
Fatima

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:46 am

then use the heating control switch by the door to get the correct temp

Well I never knew that!
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

Post by willy eckerslike Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 am

Fatima, if you have the touch screen control panel by the back door when the panel is switched on and the time is displayed there is a blank rectangle icon on the bottom right. On my 08 Devon this switches the strip lights on and off.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatima Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks Willy - I do have the rectangle as you say but sadly it only switches on the awning light. In fact it says on it "AWN".
Fatima
Fatima

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatima Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:01 pm

Thanks to everyone for advice. The good news is that when I tried it again this morning it produced hot water within 20 minutes...... Didn't do anything different except flip the contact breaker switches in the compartment under the wardrobe where the water heater lives. They hadn't tripped - I just switched them off & on again in the time honoured fashion...... Don't see how that could have made a difference!!
The other thing I've noticed in all of this is that the dial by the door (power setting and 1-7 heat setting) will not operate with only the water switch in the wardrobe on. Green light doesn't even illuminate. The heater switch in the wardrobe has to be switched on as well. This means that it is not poss to have hot water without heat. Which I guess is not a problem. Is this how it's supposed to work?
Fatima
Fatima

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:36 pm

The dial by the door (power setting and 1-7 heat setting) is for the electric operation of the separate space heater, not the Ultrastore water heater.

Temperature of water heater is not adjustable on electric setting., only if outer ring is switched to gas.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatima Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:23 pm

That obviously makes sense. To be honest my water heater seems a bit hit & miss so I tend to switch on every switch I can find!!! All a bit odd..... 

So will the water heater work without that switched on at all? Just the switch in the wardrobe needed (& an electricity supply!!)
Fatima
Fatima

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:42 pm

Yes, should do.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by grahamandjenny Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Fatima wrote:That obviously makes sense. To be honest my water heater seems a bit hit & miss so I tend to switch on every switch I can find!!! All a bit odd..... 

So will the water heater work without that switched on at all? Just the switch in the wardrobe needed (& an electricity supply!!)

That's an interesting question, I leave the switch in the cupboard for the heating on all of the time and use the small switch by the door to switch the heating off. That said, when I have used the electric water heater I have probably had the heating on as well so I have never tested if they work independently. But I would expect that they should!

Graham
grahamandjenny
grahamandjenny

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 pm

I'm in the habit of always switching the hot water switch in the wardrobe off when not needed. 
When returning home, most folk, including us, drain down the water tanks and plug in the EHU to keep the batteries topped. If the switch is left on the water heater stands a good chance of being damaged.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down