The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bourton removable washable seat covers

+2
Slaphead
Steve & Claire
6 posters

Go down

Bourton removable washable seat covers Empty Bourton removable washable seat covers

Post by Steve & Claire Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi all

we are picking up our Bourton sometime in March/April (the days are going past very slowly!) 
I did enter the question in the search bit, but couldnt see anything on it, so I just wanted to pick peoples brains.

We have ordered the seats to be treated with diamond brite, but with 2 dogs we know there will be the inevitable paw marks.

I just wondered if anyone has found machine washable removable seat covers? We did think about using throws but I know I will be forever tucking them back in.

The Bourton we ordered has the extra 2 set belts so its one long bench and 2 small benches oposite. Any ideas or advice would be apriciated.

Also any ideas on traveling with dogs always helps

thanks Claire
Steve & Claire
Steve & Claire

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Bourton removable washable seat covers Empty Re: Bourton removable washable seat covers

Post by Slaphead Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:56 pm

Hi Claire, we have three Border Terriers who love life in the motorhome.  We have always used various "throws" over the back and base of the seats when the dogs will be with us (i.e. most times!"

If you don't, you will be for ever making sure the dogs are really cleaned up before you let them in.

Personally, I find it easier to live with covers over the seats than worrying about the dogs getting the upholstery dirty.  After 18 years the upholstery is still like new.

Also remember that dogs must be kept secure from the driver when travelling.  I slide the "outside table" from behind the driver's seat to form a gate blocking off the rear.

Best wishes for your new Bourton and I hope you have some great trips in it.

Dave C.
Slaphead
Slaphead
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Medallion (Merc)
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Bourton removable washable seat covers Empty Re: Bourton removable washable seat covers

Post by Steve & Claire Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:17 pm

Thanks Dave thats really helpful, we were wondering how to block off the cab and using the table is a great idea.

We have a vario cage that we use in the car to travel with the dogs, i was thinking maybe we could use that in the motorhome anchored in between the two chairs.

thanks again
Steve & Claire
Steve & Claire

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi Steve
    It depends how big the dogs are but on our MH Surrey the same layout we had a cage that fitted between the 2 single seats so it did not get in the way. any way we did not think it safe to have the dogs loose in the van and they would just jump over the table, the cage was on a nonslip mesh ,we used cheap throws over the seats and just washed them when needed keeping spares in a cupboard
regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:03 pm

For the cab seats try:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We have had 2 sets ( different vans) and they are easy to deal with, good quality and send scraps for colour matching.

We had a set of stretch covers for the bench seats made by Plumbs. They don’t offer the service normally but could see no reason why they could not do so, so did ! We had them because we really disliked the upholstery in the van. Again, wash and dry quickly and, judging by how dirty they get with 3 months continuous use- 2 adults only- they certainly earn their keep.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:12 pm

We are enormously fortunate that our rescue spaniel does not jump on the seats, even when left alone. 

Our previous spaniel however, a giddy Welsh springer, wasn’t so well behaved. We used waterproof covers for the cab seats from Halfords (something that white van man might use) that we’d put on when arriving on site. She wasn’t allowed on the bench seats, and we pulled forward the back cushions to the edge to prevent her jumping up when we went out. It was tedious doing this, but it worked and the seats stayed clean.

Good luck with finding covers, it might even be reasonable to get some made. If not I think it’s throws.

Enjoy the anticipation and planning for your new van.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve & Claire Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks Alan

The dogs are not too big (Jack Russells) its handy to know the cage set up will work, we will get a slip mat, thats a really good idea too allthumbz
Steve & Claire
Steve & Claire

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve & Claire Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:36 pm

Quilter wrote:For the cab seats try:

We have had 2 sets ( different vans) and they are easy to deal with, good quality and send scraps for colour matching.

We had a set of stretch covers for the bench seats made by Plumbs. They don’t offer the service normally but could see no reason why they could not do so, so did ! We had them because we really disliked the upholstery in the van. Again, wash and dry quickly and, judging by how dirty they get with 3 months continuous use- 2 adults only- they certainly earn their keep.
thanks for the link, this forum is such a good idea and full of really helpful peopleand knowledge
Steve & Claire
Steve & Claire

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve & Claire Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:43 pm

harrysp wrote:We are enormously fortunate that our rescue spaniel does not jump on the seats, even when left alone. 

Our previous spaniel however, a giddy Welsh springer, wasn’t so well behaved. We used waterproof covers for the cab seats from Halfords (something that white van man might use) that we’d put on when arriving on site. She wasn’t allowed on the bench seats, and we pulled forward the back cushions to the edge to prevent her jumping up when we went out. It was tedious doing this, but it worked and the seats stayed clean.

Good luck with finding covers, it might even be reasonable to get some made. If not I think it’s throws.

Enjoy the anticipation and planning for your new van.
thanks Harry your spaniel sounds like a perfect motorhome dog, im hoping our 2 will be the same but I will have to keep fingers, eyes and toes crossed though!
Thanks for the heads up on waterproof covers might be handy to keep a set of those in the van too
Steve & Claire
Steve & Claire

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:52 am

our dogs travel in a harness each, connected to the motorhome by a shock absorbing lead called a Mudder. (not connected to their collars).

The safety objective is to firstly prevent he dog(s) becoming missiles in an accident. This is a significant hazard for the dogs and the people in the vehicle. Secondly, to keep the dogs from entering the cab while the motorhome is being driven.

The Mudder leads connect to standard seat belt fittings which I sourced from my local car breakers yard. These can be fitted by drilling a hole for the fixing bolt for each and bolting through somewhere down the side of a  bench cushion. Only the short part with the red release button is used and there is no way they can be used or mistaken for passenger use as the other half of the retractible belt is not used. 

If you have multiple dogs you should space out these fixings so the dogs cannot tangle themselves up while moving around (eg to reach their drinker) They are free to look out of windows and there is little to carry with you (cage). this worked for our 25kg Labrador and our Yorkie.

We use fitted cot sheets from Aldi for the bench seats. To protect for doggy "accidents" (No2 dog was in her 15th year before we had to let her go late last year) we used "dry night" mattress protectors under the fitted cot seats. These have self adhesive patches in the corners to hold them in place and are undetectable when in place. Disposable, they worked perfectly against all wet paws, and any other liquids.

They were both welcome to get on the seats with us and cuddle up (one of the pleasures for us of owning the dogs) but both slept on the floor in their beds overnight.

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down