The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USB input to radio on shuffle: help please

4 posters

Go down

USB input to radio on shuffle: help please Empty USB input to radio on shuffle: help please

Post by Quilter Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:17 pm

We have a 2014 Broadway with the standard radio. We are trying to play a series of audiobooks recorded on a USB memory stick. Sound, clarity etc no problems but it seems to be set on Shuffle.

We have gone through the manual carefully and cannot work out how to get it to play the tracks in the proper sequence. 

Can anyone help please ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

USB input to radio on shuffle: help please Empty Re: USB input to radio on shuffle: help please

Post by -mojo- Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:09 pm

The first thing I would try to work out: is it genuinely random, or does it play back in the same (but wrong) order each time you start playback from scratch?
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

USB input to radio on shuffle: help please Empty Re: USB input to radio on shuffle: help please

Post by Quilter Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Not one I’d thought of...

The snag is that there are about 20 unabridged audiobooks, plus a fair amount of music. Each book lasts about 18 hours and each track about 2 minutes. It’s hard to tell whether it is random each time or there is a pattern. It does play unshuffled with my computer and with my MP 3 radio at home however.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:01 pm

Ok - the reason I asked is that you really do need to know whether it is using a shuffle function or whether it is just using slightly different rules to choose the order.

Generally a player will use a rule which is some variation of alphanumeric order based on the first character of the filename. So... if you play the recording, and observe which order it actually plays them, you should be able to deduce what rules it is using. You should then be able to change the filenames to make it play in the correct order.

One reason why it can go wrong from one playback unit to another is because there is no standard interpretation of - for example - whether numbers get played before characters (e.g. does a, b, c get played before names starting 1, 2, 3 or vice versa) and whether numbers are counted as groups or individually (e.g. does a filename starting 11 get played before or after 2).

To complicate matters, there are other things (such as file creation date) that can be used to determine the order - but in my experience that is rare, fortunately. [And of course, you may be right - it may actually be set to shuffle them!]

Also, to complicate things even further, it may be using an MP3 file's ID3 Tags* to choose the order. If this is true then the filenames may be irrelevant. To resolve that, you may need to use an MP3 Tag editor to edit the data so that it suits the way in which the player plays them.

* tags are embedded data in a specific format, incorporated within the file's data itself, rather than in the filename. For a reasonable description, see here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Most computer-based media players will show the ID3 tags as the main part of the track listings, so it should be easy to see what they are, and whether you can figure out a pattern based on what you can see.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:39 pm

Thank you very much. We’re on a site for the next 2 weeks and don’t want to start the engine to supply power to the USB port. When we next get on the road I will listen carefully to what is going on and see if there is a pattern there.

Thanks again...
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:27 pm

I have the same problem playing music from a memory stick . completely random playback .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:36 pm

Ah, right - if it really is random (i.e. you unplug it, plug it back in again and you get a completely different order of tracks) then it must be as Quilter originally assumed - a random shuffle mode. Anything else ~should~ give you a pattern that would be repeatable.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:03 am

I had exactly the same problem when I burned an MP3 compilation to a CD - my Boxer does not have any form of aux or USB input! Obviously the tracks were not really random but not in the order I wanted. As a previous reply has suggested it was because the burning process had ordered the tracks in alphabetical order and my labelling of the tracks had not allowed for that. I used a program (mp3tag?) that enabled me to tinker with the 'metadata' as it is called for photos and after a couple of false starts was able to burn the CD so that it played as I wanted it to. I cannot remember fully my actions but I think that I preceded each of the (less than 100) tracks titles with 01, 02 etc. Easy to do on a memory stick without creating rubbish CD's

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:03 pm

Thanks...I shall spend this evening on the computer re-numbering some of them anyway. Most of them started life as boxed sets of audio cassettes so are overdue for a review
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down