The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DAB Radio for Merc

5 posters

Go down

DAB Radio for Merc Empty DAB Radio for Merc

Post by gemdeco Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi Everyone
    My wife, yes honest want a new radio for our MB Gloucester has any one any sugguestions?
regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

DAB Radio for Merc Empty Re: DAB Radio for Merc

Post by groundhog Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:13 pm

I have an Alpine system in our Worcester linked to bose speakers, it is not a DAB unit though. I too would like to go digital, you will not have any choice in a few years anyway.

I looked at the Pioneer range, initially with satnav  built in but concluded that it was better to have a dedicated satnav and DAB head unit because of the cost of updating maps.

The Alpine I have is OK but not significantly better than the standard Mercedes radio, I will be looking closely at the Pioneer range myself with a decent aerial. You can't use the existing one. 
'hog
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:18 pm

I assume the Mercs have an accessory position on the ignition switch . The Pioneer DAB I have cannot be used without ignition on as Peugeot don't have the accessory position on the switch.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:07 pm

Hi
  the radio in the Merc will work without the ignition being on.When I enquired at Halfords about getting a radio fitted they said nothing about needing a new aerial just £68 for a fitting kit
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeJJ Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:35 pm

I added a Pure Highway 400 adaptor to the standard Merc radio.  All connected up correctly as an AUX input but the aerial design which sticks to the inside of the windscreen doesn't seem to be particularly good - it maybe the case that there is some coating on the windscreen which doesn't help.  The problem with the Pure setup is that you can't just change the aerial or add an external one.
MikeJJ
MikeJJ
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : MB - Burford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:11 pm

MikeJJ wrote:I added a Pure Highway 400 adaptor to the standard Merc radio.  All connected up correctly as an AUX input but the aerial design which sticks to the inside of the windscreen doesn't seem to be particularly good - it maybe the case that there is some coating on the windscreen which doesn't help.  The problem with the Pure setup is that you can't just change the aerial or add an external one.
I had a similar issue with DAB reception from a windscreen aerial when I replaced the standard Merc radio with an Alpine X800 unit - (I think the cab overhang might also be a contributing factor to the poor reception issues). 
In the end I got rid of the windscreen aerial and replaced the standard Merc whip aerial with a DAB "shark fin" and the reception is now perfect for FM and DAB all of the time!
The new aerial was fitted by AS at the Willersey service centre - it involved a lot of furniture removal and took a few hours but well worth it!
I also had a separate 3 way switch (ON with ignition on - OFF - ON with ignition off) fitted to the dash which allows it to be used indefinitely whilst on site with EHU.

Last edited by Liam on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional comment)

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:45 pm

Liam wrote:
MikeJJ wrote:I added a Pure Highway 400 adaptor to the standard Merc radio.  All connected up correctly as an AUX input but the aerial design which sticks to the inside of the windscreen doesn't seem to be particularly good - it maybe the case that there is some coating on the windscreen which doesn't help.  The problem with the Pure setup is that you can't just change the aerial or add an external one.
I had a similar issue with DAB reception from a windscreen aerial when I replaced the standard Merc radio with an Alpine X800 unit - (I think the cab overhang might also be a contributing factor to the poor reception issues). 
In the end I got rid of the windscreen aerial and replaced the standard Merc whip aerial with a DAB "shark fin" and the reception is now perfect for FM and DAB all of the time!
The new aerial was fitted by AS at the Willersey service centre - it involved a lot of furniture removal and took a few hours but well worth it!
I also had a separate 3 way switch (ON with ignition on - OFF - ON with ignition off) fitted to the dash which allows it to be used indefinitely whilst on site with EHU.
Thanks Liam, I suspected the shark fin was the way to go, have heard several reports about the windshield type DAB aerial not being that effective. Useful info!! Expensive I would imagine?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:42 pm

groundhog wrote:
Thanks Liam, I suspected the shark fin was the way to go, have heard several reports about the windshield type DAB aerial not being that effective. Useful info!! Expensive I would imagine?
Hi Hog, 
Well, the Shark fin aerial was relatively cheap but fitting it cost 3 hours of Willersey's labour rate! 
But, in mho, it was well worth it. The previous windscreen aerial use to drive us crazy - you would be listening to something very interesting on the radio and then at a vital juncture in the programme you would loose the signal. Now it is perfect - even in Germany!

Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi Liam
   It seems a lot of work to get a DAB radio working,are there any other alternatives as my Gloucester has the same layout, did they have to take out all the front top cupboards or is has your bunks up top
regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi Alan,
Yes, it was a lot of work but we thought is was worth it in the end. I am told that in some van configurations the windscreen DAB aerials work very well - but in our case it was just useless - to be fair the audio guys who fitted the head unit did warn us that the windscreen aerial may be a risk area!
For peace of mind I had Willersey do the aerial fitting (also, we were still within the van's warranty period) - and after all they built the van! It took 2 guys 1.5 hours to complete the job.
To be honest I can't recall (it was nearly 3 years ago!) how they managed to get around the furniture issue - but the end result looks fine with no evidence of surplus cable or anything having been disturbed. 
I seem to recall that the biggest issue they had was the unsticking of the original whip aerial from the roof.
Regarding alternative solutions - the only one I can think of is the possible fixing of a shark fin in an alternative location in order to make the cable routing easier but then the risk is that it might not work correctly.
Hope this helps.

Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down