The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Try before you buy electric bikes

+11
Askit
Paramedic
harrysp
rgermain
Quilter
Eltel
Maasai Warrior
Gromit
peugeotboxer
boxerman
Paulmold
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Try before you buy electric bikes - Page 2 Empty Re: Try before you buy electric bikes

Post by Maasai Warrior Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:16 pm

Thanks for that Dave, never thought of that at the time!

Just had a look at your link, and yes very useful looking. Ironically, I might get one anyway as both our crossbars are odd ‘ isosceles trapezoid’ shaped cross-sections and not ideal for fixing. Look it up Dave! hugegrins

I might have spelt it wrong!

Thanks again.

Pete

Last edited by Maasai Warrior on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Try before you buy electric bikes - Page 2 Empty Re: Try before you buy electric bikes

Post by Paramedic Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Agree that the low step through can be a challenge to stow securely on the Fiamma carrier without some movement when travelling. Recently resolved by buying (for one of the bikes) the Halfords 'Cycle Carrier Suspension Cycle Adaptor' (false adjustable crossbar) was half price at just £10. Of course there is the Fiamma version that is more expensive.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:28 pm

That's a handy gadget Dave! I've bookmarked that page and I'll check to see if I need one when the bike arrives.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:37 pm

Gromit wrote:Hi Pete

I think your solution was preferable, but are you aware of false crossbars? If the Memsahib ever really needs a step through in the future, one of << THESE GADGETS >> might solve the problem with the cycle rack.

There are lots of variations on the web.

Not a problem I’d thought of as we have one of these. I can thoroughly recommend them for anyone interested in electric bikes who is concerned about hoiking them up onto the Fiamma height bike rack.

http://www.alko-tech.com/uk/velo-iii
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:00 pm

Maasai Warrior wrote:Thanks for that Dave, never thought of that at the time!

Just had a look at your link, and yes very useful looking. Ironically, I might get one anyway as both our crossbars are odd ‘ isosceles trapezoid’ shaped cross-sections and not ideal for fixing. Look it up Dave! hugegrins

I might have spelt it wrong!

Thanks again.

Pete
Cheeky git, I don't need to!! hugegrins

You did spell it correctly, but I suspect your terminology is inaccurate. The actual term used is "isosceles trapezium", and it's a special and uniquely shaped trapezium.
Your bikes might have such frames, but I doubt it. Do they really have two symmetrical halves . . . mirror images about a centre line? I would guess they are more likely to be somewhat squashed trapezia.  lol4

(Hope you like the highly technical description. Is "trapezia" the plural, or should I drag out my Shorter Oxford to check! scratch head)
P.S. Don't you just hate smart arses!!  rolleyes

Last edited by Gromit on Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:01 pm

boxerman wrote:
rgermain wrote:What's wrong with peddle power?
-----------
Richard
Is that some that salesmen have? smile!

Frank

We were on a site recently watching a man (from a caravan nearby) noisily encouraging his female companion/wife to use an electric bike. She was doing ok but they attracted a small audience trying to boost her confidence. The conversation quickly changed when caravan man said he was importing the bikes and it became apparent that he was attempting round up potential buyers. Bit naughty, eh Whistle1

Incidentally, I looked up the bikes on the net afterwards and the reviews were not glowing. For obvious reasons I'm not saying what they were happyno

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Gromit wrote:Cheeky git, I don't need to!! hugegrins

You did spell it correctly, but I suspect your terminology is inaccurate. The actual term used is "isosceles trapezium", and it's a special and uniquely shaped trapezium.
Your bikes might have such frames, but I doubt it. Do they really have two symmetrical halves . . . mirror images about a centre line? I would guess they are more likely to be somewhat squashed trapezia.

Dave, I was using the American version - ‘trapezoid’ to see if you would take the bait!
- and guess what you did! lol4

The diagram below shows the cross sectional shape of our crossbars, on my Boardman bike and Caroline’s Scott Ebike. Not easy to grab on a carrier!

"isosceles trapezium" in the UK!  bow  

Pete

P.S. I wouldn’t like to play you at Scrabble! 

Try before you buy electric bikes - Page 2 B73e5110
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:38 pm

It never occurred to me that you would to stoop to using ghastly Americanisms!  hugegrins

It obviously depends on the configuration of your cycle rack and especially it's clamps, but I can hold our bikes by the saddle stem by rotating the clamps and shoving them right to each end of the top bar. (Thule towball mounted carrier. << THIS MODEL >> )
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:01 pm

Electric bikes don't necessarily have to weigh a lot.

My Gary Fisher bike is pretty light at about 14kilos, but I know a fellow motorhomer whose road bike is 7kilos and his wife's electric bike is allegedly 12kilos.

I think that both bikes are in the £4-5,000 range. Yikes.
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:24 am

Don't know if anyone watched Britain by Bike last night on C5 with Larry Lamb and his son George. Larry uses an electric bike and seeing it reminded me of a question I've long wanted to ask. Why do electric bikes have such high handlebars?
I thoroughly enjoyed their last series and recommend it. 8pm on Friday.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:31 am

They don't Paul - I've spent hours looking at different models and specs. I was particularly wanting a 'sit up & beg' style. They come in all different types & shapes [some very odd ones too!]

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:29 pm

At a guess I’d say as most are designed for the Dutch and German market where they are much more numerous than here, and their ‘regular bikes are all of the sit up and beg variety. The MTB models now look much more like normal mountain bikes. In Leisure Lakes near here most have the lower handlebars, with prices that make me think they must be designed by Ferrari. 

Being short I took awhile to find an ebike to fit, and this time, settled on a Raleigh Motus with 26’ wheels. The smaller wheels made a huge difference. I adjust the handlebars to move them nearer and also move the saddle forward so I can reach with ease. 

H

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:29 pm

One facet of any bike which is often ignored, is the seat, get that right and cycling is a pleasure.

Generally I have changed seats on most of our bikes, especially for my wife. My presant standard one is fine. When selling them on, the original is replaced and the comfortable one kept.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:11 pm

Bad Penny wrote:One facet of any bike which is often ignored, is the seat, get that right and cycling is a pleasure.

Generally I have changed seats on most of our bikes, especially for my wife. My presant standard one is fine. When selling them on, the original is replaced and the comfortable one kept.

Grommet, sorry Gromit, looks like my computer is not the only one cannot spell!
-----------
Richard hugegrins
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:33 am

Not the computers fault but mine Richard, I hit the wrong button. I spotted it as I sent it. For anyone who missed it. Present with an a not an e, I have slapped my wrists.wave 

Leighton.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:43 am

Bad Penny wrote:One facet of any bike which is often ignored, is the seat, get that right and cycling is a pleasure.

I wish I could do that..!  Excellent point Leighton.

My current, fairly broad, saddle has a slip-on padded foam cover and is fine for the first mile or so but, over the course of a day, becomes really uncomfortable. Trying before buying a replacement is impossible as you can't really take one home and give it a proper trial and, once used, it can't be taken back.  A few minutes in a shop doesn't help.

Any recommendations as to a make to try would be gratefully received.  ( I have got a pair of padded cycling pants but they make things worse...I won't go into details.)
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:53 am

There are seats more suitable for women than men Quilter, I think one is called a sofa seat. It is trial and error I'm afraid. If you have a reputable dealership near you, speak to them for advice,  preferably a small one rather than a chain. We have a number of seats in bags here, having discarded them over the years. One seat cost just £8 and was so comfortable to use.

You say your padded shorts are no use, are they cheapies from one of the German supermarkets? If so, invest in a good quality professional pair. They will not be cheap.

Another thing to remember about cycling is, if not done regularly the base of the spine will hurt for a while, particularly if only done when on holidays. Apart from all the little problems, cycling is still a great way to excercise and enjoy.

Hope this is of some help.

Leighton.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:05 am

Quilter wrote:
My current, fairly broad, saddle has a slip-on padded foam cover and is fine for the first mile or so but, over the course of a day, becomes really uncomfortable. Trying before buying a replacement is impossible as you can't really take one home and give it a proper trial and, once used, it can't be taken back.  A few minutes in a shop doesn't help.

Any recommendations as to a make to try would be gratefully received.  ( I have got a pair of padded cycling pants but they make things worse...I won't go into details.)
Been there (both of us) so I know what you mean.  Whistle1
We went for Brooks saddles years ago, against all apparent logic as they are as hard as nails. Never looked back though!  up!

Lots of leather oil (and I mean lots) on both sides every couple of days for a fortnight, then wipe it clean and start using the saddle. It really does go "bum shaped" after quite a short time, and becomes far more comfortable than soft saddles - particularly at the end of a long ride.

We have the men's and women's versions of the B67. Not cheap by any means, and a bit of a risk as you won't know how good it is (or not) for several weeks after buying it.

I can only say that Sian wouldn't use anything else. She likes the way she can slide about on it and change position if her bum gets a bit tender, and she says that makes a huge difference. >> SEE HERE <<
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:15 am

Quilter, just checked the seat on my wife's bike, unfortunately there is no name on it. It is well padded but soft and wide at the rear with a groove in the centre then tapered to the front. Mine is of similar style, but not so soft.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:36 am

Many thanks both. I think I had a Brooks saddle on my first bike, aged 11, a Raleigh, and don't ever remember any problems with it and I was less padded then and cycled daily to school. I've seen them since but hesitated as I expected them to be hard and uncomfortable but I will go and have a closer look.  

Yes, my padded pants are Aldi bought. I didn't want to go the whole hog and buy cycling shorts as I would look a right pillock and these are the only cycling underwear rather than outerwear I have found. I will have another look in some of the many bike shops we have in Oxford.

A few years ago we had our old push bikes stolen in La Linea and, when the Spanish police got them back, we took them to very good bike shop in Conil as the saddle of one was missing and the gears had been cut. The delightful bike mechanic- for a joke we think- replaced the saddle with one of those used by pro cyclists who do the Tour etc. My OH had it changed pdq but not before we'd tried it. I can't understand how anyone can do even a kilometre balanced on what seems like a knife edge.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:48 am

Some cycle shorts or cycle underwear can be worn under shorts.

Have a look on the internet, for the different types. I'm sure you will sort out a solution. My wife sometimes put cycle shorts on underneath a cut off pair of trousers.

Leighton.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:57 am

Still use my Brooks saddle, bought 40+ years ago. Fully concur with Gromit's post above.
Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Bad Penny wrote:Not the computers fault but mine Richard, I hit the wrong button. I spotted it as I sent it. For anyone who missed it. Present with an a not an e, I have slapped my wrists.wave 

Leighton.

No problem, just glad I am not the only one who hits the wrong button. I usually get put right by some on here, not aimed at you by the way.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:01 pm

No problem Richard, I notice many people hit the wrong button, especially when close to the correct one. If like me, I sometimes post in a hurry, send without a check and find later, Iv'e made a mistake.allthumbz

Leighton.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:21 pm

I have to do an awful lot of correcting as I seem to be dyslexic on the keyboard.

Transposing a pair of letters in a word is my favourite trick, and I don't always notice the spelling mitsake until it's too late.  content
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next