The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Make of original solar panel controller

3 posters

Go down

Make of original solar panel controller Empty Make of original solar panel controller

Post by Wightman Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:20 am

Hi All

Could anybody tell me the make of the original 10 amp controller fitted to my 2013 Broadway FB please?

Trying to get replacement (original had bracket to hold controller in place) as we're thinking of selling and don't want to leave my expensive MPPT controller in van being the tight-a5re I am!!! hugegrins

Have replaced the 80 watt solar panel with 120 watt so 10 amp cheapie should be OK or should I upgrade to 20 amp please?

Very many thanks for all help/replies
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Pilote P740C Sensati
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Make of original solar panel controller Empty Re: Make of original solar panel controller

Post by Peter Brown Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:22 pm

What Sargent PSU do you have?

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Make of original solar panel controller Empty Re: Make of original solar panel controller

Post by Wightman Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Peter Brown wrote:What Sargent PSU do you have?
Hi Peter

EC 480, CP 153 or PSU 153

Hope that's info you require?

Kind Regards
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:27 pm

I expected the PSU to by either an EC328 or EC500 in your Broadway?

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:31 pm

This is the controller in my 2017 Stanton. I have seen these for less than £15 (but don't ask, I can't remember where)

Dennis

Make of original solar panel controller Img_0911
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:34 pm

The reason for asking is that in the 328 there is a reasonable quality dual channel controller built in, whereas with the EC 500 there is a single channel cheapy external to the unit (as in Dennis's case).

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wightman Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:09 pm

Peter Brown wrote:The reason for asking is that in the 328 there is a reasonable quality dual channel controller built in, whereas with the EC 500 there is a single channel cheapy external to the unit (as in Dennis's case).
Peter

I definitely had a unit similar to the one Dennis shows in his photo but mine is/was wired directly into the controller - I had no plug-in leads as shown in photo!!

Remember it being 10 amp and "fitting onto a spike of metal" if that's any help!!!?

Will double check what unit is fitted in morning but figures quoted were written from time past!!!

Many thanks all
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wightman Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:59 am

Peter Brown wrote:The reason for asking is that in the 328 there is a reasonable quality dual channel controller built in, whereas with the EC 500 there is a single channel cheapy external to the unit (as in Dennis's case).
Hi Peter

You are so correct - I have the EC 500!!!

Why on the display unit above the entrance door does it tell me EC 480 yet I get on my hands and knees (not easy for an old fella this early in the day!!!!) I can just about make out EC 500 as it's covered by the access door surround!!!?

Also will you be able to give me a supplier Peter or should I be able to purchase direct from Sargent - if they installed it with the rest of the electronics please?

Very many thanks
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wightman Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:23 am

Wightman wrote:
Hi Peter

You are so correct - I have the EC 500!!!

Why on the display unit above the entrance door does it tell me EC 480 yet I get on my hands and knees (not easy for an old fella this early in the day!!!!) I can just about make out EC 500 as it's covered by the access door surround!!!?

Right I've just checked and found this: https://tinyurl.com/y9vklo55  (I'm sure they are available from other sources!!)

Compared to this: https://sargentltd.co.uk/shop/product/10amp_solar_regulator/122

So would the first - cheapie!!! one be OK to use please?

Very many thanks
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:07 am

While you are waiting for Peter's reply, in my view, either would work fine, however, the cheaper unit is designed for surface mounting and the Sargent supplied unit has the slot on the rear to drop into place at the back of your EC500 PSU. (you can see it on the side of the unit if you zoom in on the image). So, it depends how easy you want to make the job of replacing your MPPT controller.

Can you tell me, did you fit the MPPT controller before you upgraded your original 80W panel?  Did it harvest enough extra power to make it worth the outlay? I am thinking of fitting an MPPT controller to replace the original unit in my Stanton. I would value your advice.

As for the Sargent numbering, The EC480 is the part number of the display, near your door and EC500 is the part number of the main PSU, near the floor.

Hope this helps

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Wightman Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:33 am

Dare-devil-dennis wrote:While you are waiting for Peter's reply, in my view, either would work fine, however, the cheaper unit is designed for surface mounting and the Sargent supplied unit has the slot on the rear to drop into place at the back of your EC500 PSU. (you can see it on the side of the unit if you zoom in on the image). So, it depends how easy you want to make the job of replacing your MPPT controller.

Can you tell me, did you fit the MPPT controller before you upgraded your original 80W panel?  Did it harvest enough extra power to make it worth the outlay? I am thinking of fitting an MPPT controller to replace the original unit in my Stanton. I would value your advice.

As for the Sargent numbering, The EC480 is the part number of the display, near your door and EC500 is the part number of the main PSU, near the floor.

Hope this helps

Dennis
Hi Dennis

Many thanks for your reply and suggestions - very helpful

Now the saga of it all - from poor memory cells!!! - I'm fairly certain I replaced the 80 watt solar with the 120 watt because where the 80 was fitted just happened to be the only place a Cytrac DX dish could be fitted!!!? So when doing it I measured up and found that the 120 watt (kept from previous MH) would fit parallel and behind the awning casing. So fitted that there and then had the DX fitted at Lincoln MH show.

Can't remember when exactly - but think it was definitely after the 120 fitted - found I had no output from the controller so just happened to have the 15 amp MPPT - yes you've guessed from a previous!! - and fitted that!! As that doesn't have "dedicated" bracket it doesn't bother me about fitting as I'm sure I'll be able to fit safely.

Afraid I can't comment as to the improvement as I don't keep records on that sort of thing but wouldn't hesitate on fitting MPPT on whatever we have

Hope this helps and sorry couldn't be more positive with MPPT query

Very best wishes
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:55 pm

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wightman Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:20 pm

Thanks Peter, very much appreciated and ordered
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Back to top Go down